Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Bad Fan Atmosphere???

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Bad Fan Atmosphere???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:33 pm:

Hey guys,

So I sat in section 232 tonight, and have to say, that was the worst group of people I have ever been around. I mean, I have had Raider season tickets since 2000, and I have never heard language this bad.

I had a friend who had seats in section 226, and he and his family left at the 7th inning (not because of the baseball). My roomate and his girlfriend were in 206, and they said the same thing..

Did anyone else get this vibe???? Seriously, the bad baseball isnt even what got my annoyed..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:41 pm:

I sat in 119 and I dont know if something happened in the 3rd deck near the LF foul pole but I think during the 3rd or 4th inning, everybody in my section was looking up there and I saw a couple of security men walking up the steps.

Don't know or didn't see what happened but the atmosphere was kinda of chippy.

I too heard plenty of foul language and I always have my ear phones on listening to KRFC but there were many fans around me that were using four letter words.

I think maybe the A's getting beat down early and some drinks may have caused some fans to act up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 07:37 am:

I was sitting in "good" seats, MVP Infield section 125, and there were a group of guys sitting behind me who were incredibly vulgar, swearing non-stop. I finally had to say something when they thought a gang-rape joke was funny and appropriate for public consumption. They were totally unapologetic, but thankfully left soon afterward to get "hammered on Jaeger" in the parking lot.

Mind you, these were a group of guys in their late 30's+ who all work for Charles Schwab!

I am having more and more bad experiences at the park and it is just not cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:04 am:

I never liked the opening night crowd of all the games I used to attend. It's similar to the fireworks crowd.
It will get better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:14 am:

I definetly felt the vibe last night, foul language and drunk loud mouth fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:17 am:

The vibe was horrible. Where do all these dirtbags come from? I'm totally with you Vinnieangelo. I was prepared to sit there and take my medicine as the game became increasingly out of reach. The crowd however forced me to pack up in the seventh. I have been looking forward to being at tonight's game ever since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:39 am:

I have no incidents to report. I was sitting in my living room in front of the TV, which is where I always watch opening night, fireworks nights, $2 Wednesdays and the Gints series.

I'll see you all on a Thursday afternoon day game, when the sun is warm, the seats are good and the fans are sober.

P.S. Were there any rowdies in Mr. Wolff's section?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:11 am:

I'm on the same page as Finleyshero. The only games I regularly attend anymore are the weekday afternoon games. I don't care much for the crowds on big nights.

I don't think this is unique to the A's or Oakland, however, it's just sports in general.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:34 am:

Come on people. It's the times. I can walk down the street in any city and hear young girls and boys using expletives of every form being used in everyday conversation.

I was once at my zendo when the zen master allowed a young women of 18 or 19 speak. One of the first words out of her mouth was Fuck. Fuck! can you imagine? She apologized later, but she was so use to using that particular word that it showed up in her lecture.

So hearing it in the coli or SBC or any ball park is "normal" conversation. Sorry, it's just not right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:04 am:

I was high in 118, surrounded by senior citizens -- not that there's anything wrong with that. The folks there were just generally annoyed with the level of play, no cursing. I left after the 10th run. Where's the slaughter rule when you need it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:19 am:

Eyleenn,

I did not realize you get high. I'll have to join you in 118 soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:37 am:

"I was high in 118, surrounded by senior citizens"

Fit right in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:53 am:

I think there is an area for walkers up in 118 too!

Hey RenoBill... any thoughts on the senior section?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:19 pm:

Ya know, as I typed that, it occurred to me it could be mis-con-screwed.

Yes, Jer, I felt right at home...

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 01:36 pm:

We had no problems, but the game hurt-hurt REAL bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 02:00 pm:

You can almost expect that sort of vibe whenever there is a big crowd, especially during night games when they've had all day to get wasted. People always talk about how great big crowds are, but they really aren't good for anything but revenue. I much prefer the smaller crowds where you know the people are there to just watch some baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kingsac on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 03:12 pm:

Anyone know where I can get a yankee hater hat in Oakland colors? Jeez I hate those guys!

thanks

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 04:12 pm:

This is no bullshit, here is a recount of a friend of a friend's adventures last night at the game. Might explain some of your bad experiences. You might guess what "boop" is:

"Had a Captain Morgan and Coke, 4 beers, and a ton of boop before
enteringthe ballpark. Then JT handed me $40 in A's bucks for the evening. I had a
couple more beers, 3 round table pizzas, a double scoop wafle cone of mint
chip, ice cream cookie, starbursts, seeds, peanuts, and a dog. Walking out
to the car I decided to chowder before the ride home. It was a BIG ONE but
I felt like champ. Went big on the way home as well."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 05:24 pm:

Someone had the munchies big time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:24 pm:

i wasn't even gonna post this...but it fits right in! :-)

my college age daughter pointed to the sign in right field, "Swisher's Suite". methinks just another semi-stupid sign by someone self-declaring themselves as a fan club for an outfielder....no biggie right?

She proceeds to tell me that Swishers Sweet is a brand of cheap cigar, commonly (!) used as the shell, in which one empties out most of the tobacco, inserts marijuana, and thus creates a 'blunt'.

i'm sure that one went over the heads of A's staff, not to mention any of us older than, say, 25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:27 pm:

Those guys out in RF are no doubt aware of the uses of Swishers Sweet.

Linusalf???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:14 pm:

Hey now wait a minute...I smoked Swisher Sweets occasionally in HS and college w/o the magical herb in there. Most people used the "Phillies Blunts" to enjoy the wonderful "hippie lettuce", not SS's.

But maybe it was different on the west coast than on the East Coast...I always like those Swishers cause they were in fact, very sweet! They left sugar on your lips...umm.....yummy...

granted, I just quite smoking yesterday, so anything with tobacco sounds terrific!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:21 pm:

yeah, exactly re swisher sweets those are wraps for bleezys. too bad the fans at the game were hitting the doobies...i can assure you it would have been a much mellower vibe :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:23 pm:

too bad the fans were NOT smookie doobies i meant to say. guarantee you that those a-holes were drunk of their asses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:58 pm:

If the A's keep playing like this, the stadium should start passing out a little "sumthin sumthin" to help ease the pain...

it could be a promo

July 27 is "Magic Brownie" day..The first 15,000 fans will get HIGH!

(this could also help consestion sales, as there will be a strong set of "munchies" in the house..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 06:48 am:

...sounds like a Portland Jailblazers game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 10:52 am:

Not a good scene, the reputation continues. People just like to do what's in, fireworks, opening night, yankee red sox games. They won't know much, they'll just go with the flow. With that said, if you want to see some fireworks....Rangers games. There was some stuff during spring training.

As for any place, Tekgraf, I would have to differ with you on that, I've been to SBC for a Friday night game and it was so much calmer, did not hear one four letter word the entire night. I was sitting in the upper level a little bit to the right of home plate, not one word. But yea it's becoming more prevalent in society and these right wingers in office is really setting a bad precedent that may come back to haunt us in 30 years. I mean with this Howard Stern to satellite thing and the government trying to regulate pay stuff, it's getting crazy...that's where our hard earned tax dollars are going, trying to regulate one man. Sorry tangent, I've been to games where it got pretty ugly a few times, I mean shouting things at players is one thing, but four letter words, rape, things demeaning people just has no place. There's a line, personal life is personal, boy wait until the first admitted gay athlete comes out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 11:03 am:

See Yabu's remarks on the thread I just posted. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bartender on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 11:46 am:

I bartend in the WSC and have to agree. I know our drink prices are obnoxios, but it's been a while since I,ve come across a bigger bunch of A-holes. Tip or don't tip, I don't really care. Just don't be a complete jerk. I'ts sad but one of the unfortunate consiquences of having a large crowd is the element who is there only to get schnockerd, and could care less about the game or whatever the hell is going on. I'ts that 1 dollar crowd, like on Wenesdays, who's only goal is to pass drinks to thier 18yr old girlfriends and cause as much trouble as pssibly. I have to say that in my 5 years her, the A's games have been a lot worse than any Raiders games! Although it was slow, it was much better on Tuesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 11:52 am:

if anyone would know, bartender has is down. boy, we see the problem....and I'm pretty sure security sees the problem....but nothing is being done...until a cell phone is tossed on the field or a chair tossed in to the stands. i wish there was a more strictly enforced policy.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.