Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Is Macha taking tips from Dusty Baker?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Is Macha taking tips from Dusty Baker?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 09:15 pm:

What reason was there to let Harden pitch the 9th? I really had major concerns that Macha might run the best young arm in baseball into the ground this year. I hope tonight doesn't become the norm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 10:22 pm:

"Run the best young arm in baseball into the ground." Yeah on his way out the door because you know Cacah's not going to be here next year.

At least Dusty's players play for him!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 01:35 am:

Harden threw 120+ pitches last night.

Maybe Macha thought somehow that the A's could come back in the bottom of the 9th and not waste Harden's great outing.

Came close though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 05:17 am:

we needed the bullpen to rest, but that's most likely not why Macha kept him out there. I think Macha likes to try and get the SP the win. I actually like that - but certainly not at the cost of our pitchers! However, I think it's okay for a SP to go 120 pitches if he is then limited next time out or gets extra rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 06:38 am:

Besides riding Harden's young arm for waaay to long, I also think Macha borrowed these thangs from Dusty Baker.

http://cubsfun.blogspot.com/2005/04/how-to-manage-chicago-cubs.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:21 am:

Actually, # of pitches not all that bad. They pointed out that both Zito and Harden will have an extra day's rest before their next starts. Agree though, it should not become habit forming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:32 am:

I just read where Harden's 102nd pitch last nite, was clocked at 100mph. Amazing. The guy has such a nice easy delivery one would think he'd be lucky to send it up there at 90MPH, ever.

I recall his first ST invite and outing. The HP umpire (whom I don't recall) went up to Macha after and told him "this kid has some of the best stuff I've ever seen." I paraphrase, but essentially, that is what he said.

We've been very blessed with great pitching these past several years, but Rich Harden appears to be something VERY, VERY special. Right now, he and Santana have to be considered the best in the game. Just stay healthy, Rich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:52 am:

Damien Miller gave an interview with Marty Lurie when the Brewers were in town playing the Giants. Here is a catcher who caught Johnson, Schilling, Prior, Woods, Zambrano, Clement, Zito, Hudson, and Harden. He said without hesitation that Harden had the best stuff of all of them.

It will be very interesting to see Harden over the next few years. Sure glad the A's locked him up for awhile. I think he could be a pitcher for the ages. It is hard to remember that he is 23--and throws 100mph. Wow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:00 am:

And not just the great fastball, but all the other pitches to go with it. I read where his change up has improved so much (hasn't been throwing it that long)this year, that he is using that more than his splitter, so far this season. And his splitter is anything but shabby. Like I say, just stay healthy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:05 am:

I know Harden has great mechanics but he is young he should not be at much more than 100 pitces. Did we not revamp the pen with better arms to avoid blowing leads? A real leader would tell the kid "your getting the hook, I want you to get a win but that young arm needs to be here for the entire season." Additionally with a much better pen Macha should not be so gun shy as to use it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 03:03 pm:

Well, Jack McKeon has let Beckett, Willis, and Burnett pitch multiple complete games.

I personally like having pitchers pitch well past a projected pitch count. Managers/GMs are babying these young pitchers now.

It would be great if Harden had the body frame of a Clemens or Schilling as it's possible that that if he continues to pitch as much as he did last night, that he's more likely to get injured then bigger guys.

Though, you got Mulder getting injured almost every year but his body is kinda of slim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beaneball on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 03:36 pm:

I agree with oaktown, I hate this new era of managers who baby the pitchers nowdays. That's about the only thing I like about Macha this year is that he is seeming to let the pitchers go a little longer. The only problem is that it took him too long to learn his lesson after having to endure blown save after blown save the past few years. I guess we have to blame our own guy, Tony LaRussa, for starting this trend where if it's past the 7th inning, you MUST bring in your LHP to face a lefty or RHP to face a righty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 06:35 pm:

Heck, I remember when pitchers used to throw considerably over 120 pitches per game, often .... and they went every FOURTH day. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:08 am:

it was his first career complete game btw. Probably not necessary to have him go 9 given how solid our bulle is.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.