Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Captain Popup

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Captain Popup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 01:28 pm:

It seems like every time Brynes goes into a deep funk he becomes a popup machine. The only way he can hit that outside slider is by reaching out off balance and popping up, it would seem that Hudgens and Byrnes should be very familiar with the problem and should be able to get him to lay off the pitch. I know its not easy, my friends and I used to refer to the outside slider as the Hendu pitch because of his problem with it and it was a real problem for Dye as well, but Byrnes has to learn to lay off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 01:48 pm:

".....and it was a real problem for Dye as well...."

You can say that again.

That was for Deajay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 01:52 pm:

Thanks for thinking of me, Adam. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:53 am:

Byrnes is never going to learn to lay off the outside slider. Or the high heat. He pops those up every time and the whole league knows it. I was always a big proponent of Byrnes. Ever since he made his debut in Cleveland. He keeps regressing however in every facet of the game. I can't defend him any longer. It's just ugly play. He may or may not get in to one of his hot streaks but I wouldn't count on it. He hustles sure, but his attention to fundamentals is severely lacking. You seriously have to worry about him catching every routine flyball. As evidence he has caught balls in each of the last two games in the palm of his glove. Both of which turned into snowcones in the webbing. Kuiper commented on Byrnes sticking the glove right in front of his face on one of those catches. He is so out of posistion on these routine plays that he damn near falls down. I love his hustle but I'am ready to see him go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 11:23 am:

let the Byrnes bashing begin once again...

well we have a whole cast of characters on the A's right now and yes Byrnes does play the game vastly different from most of them. He is hustle, and he does make plays a bit too exciting out there.

You can say all you want about getting bad reads on balls but that foul pop-up he got to the other day and made that diving catch for - no other LF in the game makes that play. In fact no one else even gets close to that ball. That was flat out amazing.

Yes he is in a seriously slide right now. I think he would be better as the number 2 hitter as he sees more fastballs there it seems. He is a good fastball hitter. He has to learn to lay off the outside slider or better yet try to take it the other way by swinging a bit later at it. If he learns to do that, teams will quickly learn they can't get him out there. Ramon Hernandez was a master at taking the outside pitch the other way, as was Carney Lansford. Mark Kotsay usually fouls them off until he gets a pitch he likes better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 11:56 am:

I knew that amazing play on Sat would be the ammo used to defend Byrnes. For every great play however, there are many more bad ones. When was the last time Byrnes hit the cut off man? I won't go long winded again. I will say that I'm sorry that Byrnes has never become anything resembling consistent. I truly do like him and wish him well. This team however needs some consistency. And Byrnes has not been consistent. Not even fundamentaly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 11:57 am:

RFF that was a great catch and there are not too many outfielders who make that catch but that still doesn't change the fact that Byrnes is a menace in the outfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:28 pm:

Eric Byrnes = TLong when it comes to defense. Neither one will ever get a good read on a ball, but both will continue to make the occasional great play. Also, neither one has an arm worth mentioning, though Long's must be somewhat better than Byrnes'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 07:41 pm:

Trading him for Sanders.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050505&content_id=1039759&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:24 pm:

Hell trade him and a combo of maybe Cruz or a minor league pitching prospect to the Reds for Kearns or Pena.

We need young hitters, not a older player on his last legs.

At least both Kearns and Pena have potential to be a contributor to the A's a few years from now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 08:43 am:

That's an interesting trade proposal, but I am not sure why we'd have to give up a prospect AND Byrnes for Sanders. Sanders IS 37, but he is almost a lock for 25 homers, close to 20 steals and is a solid RH bat. I am not condoning this trade, I am just saying...it kind of makes a bit of sense. Though, what do you do after that? Sanders is making 4mil this year. That would add another 2mil or so onto our salary cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 11:11 am:

Maybe we can trade him and Dan Johnson to the Giants for Neikro and turn Hatte into a pinch hitter. Damn, I should be the A's GM, I'll work for cheap!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linusalf on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 11:45 am:

no one is bashing byrnes. HE IS PLAYING LIKE SHIT. we are all A'S FANS and will be critical of players. were you the one with the lame 'free brynes" sign in LF the other nite? sheesh. quit crying because your cult hero is being critiziced. How many times did you bash kotsay last year. or any other OF not named byrnes. remember the countdown you had till dye's free agency so byrnes can have his spot? any OF that is a threat or percived threat to byrnes is looked at under a mircroscope and ONE bad day will lead to multiple threads/posts about how (insert name of OF not byrnes here) sucks. get over the bynres obsession. this is not about byrnes vs the "haters" it the OAKLAND ATHLETICS. and we ALL want our team to win.

the cult of eric byrnes makes me sick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 12:56 pm:

take it easy mike...
share the love not hate :)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.