Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Easy solution to A's offense

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Easy solution to A's offense
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:15 pm:

They need to start taking steroids. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:19 pm:

THey need something!
This is pathetic!!!!!!

Hopefully Crosby will add a spark when he comes back.

That Dotel-for-a slugger deal is sounding better and better...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jayho on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:29 pm:

what slugger? there are no sluggers on the market.

this is a sad sack offense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:38 pm:

Might be time for Beane to lose his mind like he did three years ago at about this time of year. Maybe send down Byrnes and Hatteberg and call up Watson and Johnson. Really what could it hurt at this point?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:45 pm:

Can they send down Hatteberg? I'm all for it. Right now our best hope is for a rainout tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:47 pm:

Hey just like Bull Durham. Maybe Jason Kendall can turn on the sprinklers tonight...

What's crazy is if the A's had won tonight they would have been in position for a solid 6-3 homestand tommorrow. Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:52 pm:

Actually, rain is predicted for most of the rest of this week ... but I think it is going to be of the shower variety. Too bad. We could use an old fashioned downpour. That is, the A's could.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:53 pm:

Down 6 to 1 and our big star third baseman is in the dugout smiling wide. Getting paid and getting slaid. Hey Sacto, I miss Miggy too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:02 pm:

You know I was at the game and saw Hat and Chavy laughing a joking around after the A's left the bases loaded. I'm mad and frustrated and they were laughing????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:10 pm:

It's a j-o-b. They don't take it as seriously as we do.

Not sure if that says more about them or us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:48 pm:

I saw on Baseball Tonight Gammons saying the A's have the worst offense in the AL.

Looking at the stats, it's freakin true. They have scored the least amount of runs and are tied with Cleveland yet Cleveland has played in two less games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:07 am:

Its not a job. It's a game and you should play with passion and never get good at sucking.

I have a job and when I suck at it it bothers me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 08:06 am:

I think Gammons understated it; they have the worst offense in BOTH leagues. I mean, I sure don't see any team worse than ours on offense.

I saw Wolff working the crowd (such as it was) last nite. Maybe he was asking the fans for advice on the team's offensive woes? Or maybe he was just working off his dinner? At the game's start he was sitting in the back row of the diamond level, eating for about the first 45 minutes. Then off he went to visit with fans behind first base. Seriously though, I like his effort in mingling with the fans. Unfortunately, that was the highlight of last nite's game. The fact is, he seems to be the only owner outside of Haas family, we've had, who seems to show an interest in the fans. Smart businessman.

And I agree, leftfield, MOST people are very bothered when they feel their efforts on the job fall short. Especially when it's a job they enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 08:12 am:

A's Offensive Ranks (whose worse)

Runs: 29th (Pirates)
Homeruns: t-28th (Astros)
AVG: t-27th (Pirates, Indians)
OBP: 25th (Braves, Angels, Pirates, Royals, Indians)
SLG: 30th (dead last)

Only the Pirates offense appears to be overall worse than the A's to this point in the season. I don't know how it's possible for a team to have a .338 SLG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:54 am:

ESPN the Magazine makes it clear that Todd Helton is available, and that Denver would eat some of his salary...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:04 am:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the fact that so many of these guys see it as nothing more than a job and seemingly are not bothered when they're performing poorly.

Frankly, it's why I would always take Tejada over Chavez. Passion.

But the reality is that it is a job, and that most players won't get as worked up as we do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:06 pm:

Todd Helton? Hmm...he's kinda struggling at Coors, while hitting everything on the road, which boggles the mind. .233 Home .349 Road

I am sure the Rox would love to take a healthy Chad Bradford because they have such a crappy bullpen. Remember in MoneyBall, where there was a story about Bradford pitching at high altitude? Chad Brad is an extreme groundball pitcher, and when healthy, he's a decent reliever. He should do just fine in Denver. Get well soon, Chad Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:14 pm:

Yea, get those guys suspended, and bring up the guys from Sac Town it can't get any worst.

When was the last time an Oakland catcher hit leadoff, Kendall is leading off today, Mike Heath anyone? Macha's really shaking things up.

Well not really, Kots is getting the day off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beaneball on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:36 pm:

Kotsay couldn't go today because of the flu. I'm sure the only reason he batted Kendall leadoff today is because either Beane or Lachemann told him to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:50 pm:

The A's have one pitcher the can hit Chan Ho Park,
both games against him this season they hit well.
Problem though is that Haren pitched poorly today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:21 pm:

Haren was doing great until they got a few hits off him, and he got rattled. The guy really has to learn some mound poise and just go with the flow, and not let things get to him. He has great movement on his pitches and has good stuff and will be a great starter for us.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.