Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

wow i love our offense

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: wow i love our offense
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:31 pm:

fabulous isn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:38 pm:

it could be worse, we could be seattle who shelled out what 17 mill a yr for sexson and beltre and they are hitten a combined ave of .231 wow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:42 pm:

They should have had at least 5 runs against this guy by the third inning. PATHETIC! And, once again, what the heck is Hatteberg doing in the clean up spot? Oh great, a bases empty HR. Too bad we're down by 6 runs with 3 outs to go. This is disgusting. The Yankees ought to be delighted they get us this weekend, they'll likely be able to sweep a series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:43 pm:

Make that 6 outs at the moment. I'm praying for rain tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:03 am:

said this on another thread, but seriously, they should have insisted on a proven stick for Huddy and/or Mulder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 06:41 am:

After today, the A's next twelve games are with the Yankers and Bosux exclusively. It could get real ugly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:55 am:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/04/SPGAVCJNTQ1.DTL

Macha didn't address the media until 57 minutes after the game; sometimes, he'll speak just a few moments after the final pitch. On Tuesday, a locked door separated reporters from a hallway leading to the manager's office. When it opened, general manager Billy Beane was among those present.

"It's an internal matter," said Macha, providing no details.

Hmmmmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:59 am:

The way the Yankees are playing right now, I would not be too worried, UNLESS they use the A's to turn their season around. Remember last year, when the Yanks were struggling until they played the A's? I hope it does not happen again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 08:13 am:

Well, it looks like the Rangers got healthy against us. Their hitting was about as bad as ours. Hard to believe, but they were slumping ... till they arrived here.

It's pretty sad to think that TB's offense is better than ours; they creamed Kevin Brown et al, last nite. We get him Sunday ... we'll probably get shut out. The TB announcers were saying Brown has ongoing back problems. It takes him a couple innings to start getting loose to where he can effectively throw his sinker. You've got to get to him early as TB did. Wonder if the A's are getting that scouting report? Oops. That's right, you still have to have the hitters to take advantage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 08:17 am:

The Yanks pitching is in the toilet, and A's
offense is in the toilet. Will be interesting to
see what will happen when they meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 08:20 am:

Well, I can't say the Rangers exactly threw a CY candidate against us last nite. Anybody else would have had at least 5 runs off that guy by the 3rd inning. And I doubt the Yankees' pitching will look to be in the toilet after a weekend of facing us. :( And, yes, I hope I'm eating those words on Monday. But I wouldn't take any bets that I will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 01:44 pm:

So far so good, we're up 3-0 in the 3rd.

Haren is pitching well again, can't believe he has only one win this season so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 01:53 pm:

Tied 3-3. Haren gave up a 2 run homer and then a solo hr.

Geeez???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 01:59 pm:

he wasn't finished, he then proceeded to give up hit after hit and another homer to make it 7-3.

you live and die by rookie pitchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 01:59 pm:

Down 7-3!

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:05 pm:

rayfossefan, the problem is that Haren isn't a rookie pitcher. Haren started 20 games the past two years with the Cards where he compiled an 6-10 record.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:07 pm:

ruby says, "it ain't over yet!"

yeah haren isn't a true rook but he has such raw talent. the guy is either really good or really bad. reminds of a younger mulder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:11 pm:

Yeah, Ruby has been hitting better the past week.

During this 8 game stretch including today's game.

12-30, 4 runs, 2 hrs, and 7 RBIs.

Though Chavez is still struggling. He has an rbi today but has left 3 on base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:15 pm:

Chavez during the same time.

9-35, 3 runs, 1 hr, and 6 RBIs.

Maybe not as bad as I thought but still not what you expect from a 11 million dollar franchise player.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:51 pm:

wow 9-5 now... can we make a comeback out of this???

please... not a texass sweep... i don't want to be in the al west basement going into face boston and new york!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:00 pm:

10-5 now.

I doubt the A's will come back. The A's score double diget runs? Yeah right.

They can barely score 10 runs in a 3 or 4 game series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:05 pm:

What a sad state of affairs. I remember back in 2000 and 2001, and even 2002, that if we were 4 or 5 runs down with 3 innings left I had all the confidence in the world that we could get back into the game. It seems like every year since we've just gotten worse. We just have no margin for error anymore.

I mean, let's face it, outside of Chavez (recent struggles aside), Kotsay, Ruby and Kendall, who in our regular lineup right now is even a quality major-league starter? I like Scoot, but he's just a solid back-up at 2B and SS. Ellis has a great glove, but how is he our #6 hitter? With 5 RBI's? He still hasn't erased his offensive problems from 2003. Byrnes and Kielty are probably 4th OF'er types, or at least haven't yet shown they can be considered more than that. Hattey...well, he's a great clubhouse guy. I would love to have that guy come off the bench to give a great pinch hit at-bat, or a spot start. I do not love that guy as our cleanup man.

But hey, we all knew this year was going to be a struggle. We've missed Crosby almost the entire year so far, Swish just got hurt, and our lone recent bright spot is....Bobby Kielty?!!! Considering all that, it's not the end of the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:07 pm:

Seven runs now! It's so bizarre as the only times the A's seem to get some decent production (five runs or more) is when the pitching goes bad. Outside of the 9-0 win in the second game of the year it never seems like they score with good pitching. No real logical explanation for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

yc2578

The A's have scored 6+ runs 9 times this year.

4/6:9-0 win against the Balt.
4/10:6-1 win against TB.
4/13:6-3 win against Tor.
4/17:7-6 win against LAA.
4-18:8-5 win against Tex.
4/20:6-7 loss against Sea.
4/26:9-7 win against Chi.
4/30:6-5 win against Sea.

Today:10-7 losing against Tex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:44 pm:

Texas just pounded on Calero, so the deficit is
now 7 and counting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:08 pm:

Well it looks like Durazo, Keity, and Hatte are heating up as all of them had a very good game today and have played much better this past series.

All 3 combined today for 5-12, 5 runs, 2 hrs, and 6 RBIs.

Though the still remaining A's hitter not making such strides is Chavez who went hitless today.

Hopefully the offense carries this game's momentum into the 6 games against the Yanks and BoSox,.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:25 pm:

The problem isn't our pitching it's our offense. Sure, we get hits and walks, but we don't bring our freaking runners home. We leave guys on base all the damned time. Yes, our pitching was off this game, BUT we should have had 2x as many runs as we did, atleast! We had 8 walks through what, 4 innings?? Come on...that's pathetic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 08:12 am:

I do not see yesterdays game a sign of the offense
coming around. The A's hit Chan Ho Park hard in
the previous game he pitched agains them. Then
they went back to struggling scoring runs.

The Yanks pitching has been pretty poor, hope the
A's can do some damange against them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 08:38 am:

Well, the A's were wise to shore up their pen, because they knew they'd need it ... especially a couple long relievers ... with our young staff. What they failed to figure into the equation is that with a young staff you also need enough offense to provide those youngsters with a decent cushion early, now and then. Without that, they can have the best pen in the world and it won't be enough. Consistency is not the norm with youngsters; it's a heckuva lot harder when they're getting no runs and consequently trying to be even finer to make up for it.

The only hitter who has shown over the last several games he is coming around, is Durazo. So, as I've asked everyday, I ask again, why is Scott Hatteberg hitting cleanup? (I didn't hear yesterday's game so don't even know where he hit in that one.) If this road trip is as dismal as it might be, I really think it is time to send someone down to Sacto, call up Johnson and designate Hatteberg as backup/bench. Yeh, Johnson is not hitting a ton, but at least he's climbed from .210 to .250 in a week's time (a 2-24 slump did him in earlier). If he's not ready now, he never will be. So, I say it is worth the move and gives him a leg up in experience going into next season. He has a history of outstanding obp and definitely has more pop than Hatteberg. And, who knows, if he has some success up here, especially with power, a few more fans might come out, to boot.

Bottom line, if it keeps going as it is, change with youth might infuse this team somewhat. They have nothing to lose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:39 am:

I have said similar things in other posts. If this year the A's are going to take a step back (and it seems that is the case) then why is Hatteburg playing every day at 1B. Why not let Johnson get his feet wet this year so he can be a major contributer next year instead of having to watch him go through rookie growing pains when all of the other youngs (Blanton, Haren, Swisher, etc.) will have a year's experience? Doesn't make any sense to me and I think Hatty is a quality player and I like him but it is not like he is ripping the cover off the ball this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 07:31 pm:

GD5, I am with you on most of that. I too had posted the same thought - if we are taking the step back, lets let some of the young studs get some experience.

THAT to me would include DJ if he's in our future - it would also include trading Dotel for the right deal whenever the best deal comes along. Give the job to Street AND Dotel, let them share it. Let Street get his feet wet in the closers' spot -that way, next year, he's not a "rookie" closer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.