Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Yankee's overdoing God Bless America

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Yankee's overdoing God Bless America
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 10:18 am:

This was in the Oak Trib:The seven inning stretch is extra long at Yankee Stadium,where "God Bless America"is played every game. It was a four minute,33 second break Saturday,whereas the average break between innings was 2:10.
It's not usually a factor. But Friday night, when Barry Zito sprinted to the mound to loosen up,then had to wait as he tried to keep his arm loose, it concerned Macha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 11:02 am:

That's probably why the Y's continue to do it -- chill the opposing pitcher. Could the guy sing it any slower?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 08:41 am:

They do that at the Padre games too. I thought all stadiums did that since 9/11. I agree and I think it's overkill, just like those scrolling news headlines at the bottom are complete overkill as you're watching the news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 09:20 am:

It didn't hurt Zito any, did it? Yankees, 1-2-3 in the 7th.

I nominate this thread as the "Nitpick of the Week."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 09:58 am:

I think Macha should have greater concerns than this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 10:14 am:

I think god bless america is a load of crap. it stinks of "we're the chosen people, we're better than everyone else" - suits the yankees perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 11:17 am:

RFF,

I'm not sure what you mean but your statement could be taken as very unpatriotic. The National Anthem is already sung at the beggining of every game which is good and God Bless America in the middle of the seventh is overkill but God Bless America is NOT a load of crap!

All right off the soap box, coffee break over time to get to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 11:32 am:

The problem with "God Bless America" at Yankee Stadium is when they have all these GD foreigners signing the song.

Why doesn't Ronan Tynan just come out and say what he really means, "God Bless the Irish."

http://www.eggpublishing.com/images/sloth2mfy.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 01:19 pm:

sorry washfan, didn't mean to bring anything political into this, just don't understand the song in terms of things like seperation of church and state, our "holier than thou" complex, invading other countries etc. expect this post to be deleted in several minutes :)

but most of all, why is this being sung at a baseball game? you're right, the national anthem is enough, please bring back take me out to the ballgame. i go to the freakin ballgame to forget about all the other horrible crap that's going on in this country and the world. sheesh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 01:25 pm:

I think god bless america is a load of crap.

May the ghost of Kate Smith mess up your sock drawer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 01:28 pm:

just don't understand the song in terms of things like seperation of church and state

Don't confuse "the state" with America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 02:39 pm:

RFF, I'm with you.

I'm a patriot and a sports traditionalist, yet I, too, would rather separate politics from my diversions.

We don't sing an Anthem at non-sports entertainment venues. I don't see the need to so at the ballpark.

I will refrain from comment for this sports related board regarding the content of the various Patriotic Dittys.

And NO SIMPLE FAN, I was not present when Francis Scott Key penned, Jose can you see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 02:52 pm:

Why do you all hate America?

Go back to Russia... you Communists!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 03:06 pm:

Right Reno.. sure sure...

I bet you enjoyed singing with Jack Norworth... Take me out to the ball game!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 03:09 pm:

I think they should sing Louie Louie....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 03:23 pm:

Actually, Chris, we're not Communists just Wiccans. Gap-toothed, garlic-loving, accordion-playing Wiccans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 03:31 pm:

"but most of all, why is this being sung at a baseball game? you're right, the national anthem is enough, please bring back take me out to the ballgame. i go to the freakin ballgame to forget about all the other horrible crap that's going on in this country and the world. sheesh."

RFF, I totally agree.
This may be a slightly political topic but it affects baseball so I do think this discussion is appropriate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 03:37 pm:

Replacing, "God Bless America" with "Louie Louie"? God help us, we're all headed for damnation...

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/news/special_packages/sun_bulletin/11570912.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 05:48 pm:

I think it was alright for teams especially the NYC teams to replace GBA after the attacks but it's been almost 4 years, I think it's being outplayed too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 07:35 pm:

I cant believe I am reading this!!!??? Are you serious!!!???? Are you all serious!!!??? God Bless America at a Yankee game is not overkill!!! Its friggin' ground zero of 9/11!!! Yankees and New York are very proud of their team and city!!! They have overcome a ton!!! They have not forgotten...unlike many other idiots who think if it aint on the news and shoved down my throat...it must not be important... You all are friggin' nuts!!! I fought a war in Iraq in 2003!!! I have to go back this fall!!! I AM PROUD TO SERVE MY COUNTRY!!! If you don't want God to bless America...dont sing the song...but I think you are in the minority!!! We should be proud of our country and let the Anthem and God Bless America play in our ballparks. I'm all for our nation evolving...but don't strip away the roots!!! Ray Fosse Fan...we have the right to feel proud!!!
I've been to many 3rd world countries...we are very lucky to be Americans. You dont understand how hard people have it all over the world...we ARE BLESSED!!!

Roll your eyes at what I am saying but its from the heart!!! You might find yourself... or a son, or daughter fighting for this country and its people one day. Recruiting troops these days isnt easy...all it takes is one psycho dictator somewhere to do something crazy and the country starts the draft up. Its not rediculous!!! Its very possible. RESPECT YOUR COUNTRY!!! You probably think I am some Rush Limbaugh clone but I am not...I am a registered Democrat from Marin County...(forgive me for stating my party). If you think God Bless America is CRAP...take your ass to France!!! SOLDIERS ARE DYING FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MANY WHOM I HAVE KNOWN AND LOVED!!!!!!!! WE ALL SING THAT SONG, WHICH YOU CALL CRAP, ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch what you say!!! THIS CONVERSATION NEEDS TO CONCLUDE SOON...its not appropriate for this site...sorry for venting! I still love all ya'll A's FANS!!!!!!!

breath...ahhhhhh

GO A's!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By naomi on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 07:46 pm:

"The problem with "God Bless America" at Yankee Stadium is when they have all these GD foreigners signing the song."

WOW.

well well well, Oakland A's fans right here on the OAFC with the brain power of a door lock.

I knew there was a reason I quit reading regularly on this site.

Hey folks,give http://athleticsnation.com/ a shot...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sparky on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 09:12 pm:

Yeah, it's funny that people reacted to RFF's post with such vigor, but nobody (until naomi) called finley on what I hope to god was a joke.

Having been to a few Yanks-A's games in the Bronx, they also used to play Cotton Eyed Joe during the stretch, three songs! The hilarious juxtaposition of Cotton Eyed Joe and God Bless America was not lost on me, however, so at least I laughed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 10:24 pm:

The Irish tenor!!!??? LMAO!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 10:55 pm:

oaktown green - umm, yeah.

you know, sarcasm and wit are often lost on bulletin boards (this applies to you too, naomi! i think he was joking) - anyway, i could go into a long discussion with you about all kinds of things like politics, war, blah blah blah but what i was saying is that it nationalism doesn't really have a place at sporting events. saying that this country is "blessed" is a matter of opinion. we're all human and no one human is better or more special than any other. ok, so maybe i shouldn't have said it was "crap", but like i said in a later post and like i am sure a lot of fans here will agree with is that we come to the games to get away from all of that stuff. it's our everyday normal lives and if we want to take a few hours and escape from it all who cane blame us. but what we don't need to do is bring politics and nationalism into our sports. yes we are all proud to be americans, that is why we sing our national anthem and display our flag.

really, bring back "take me out to the ballgame"!

and stop taking yourselves so seriously!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:28 am:

I don't know why you are all so upset. I think the National Anthem before the game and God Bless America in the 7th inning are great ideas.

I also like all the videos on the big screen telling us to support the troops. In fact, I think they should go further.

What about a Bush bobblehead day? He is, after all, our glorious leader. If Bill King is on a bobblehead, doesn't it only make sense to make one of the president too? To not agree would be anti-American.

And then, to really show our patriotism, we could have National Armband day. I envision a red band with a white circle that has a blue star in it given out to the first 10,000 youths.

Ooh, and what would be really cool would be book burning day? During the seventh inning stretch we can take all the unpatriotic and non-Christian books and burn em' in a big pile next to second base; one gigantic pyro-spectacular to the Lord. Look out Michael Moore!

After all, God only blesses those who believe in him. We definitely don't want baseball sending the message that not being Christian or Republican is okay.

But definitely, no more foreigners singing the National Anthem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:38 am:

and so the sarcasm flows! i love it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 04:00 am:

I'm so glad you are enjoying it...

...and yes, why don't you all give that other forum Naomi linked for you a shot...go!!!!
go dump your s$%^& over there!!!!

btw...Naomi will be able to find a friend there who apparently spends his time trashing the OAFC, which he so cutely calls OFAC and he would just be delighted to join forcers with all of you to continue to denigrade Oakland and all it's "dangerous" residents.

this forum is now officially no longer an Oakland A's discussion board since it would be very un-american for me as a moderator to delete such enlightening intellectual posts such as yours.

I give up on you guys, and I won't give names because you know damn well who you are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:43 am:

This is awesome.

God bless us all, each and every one of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:55 am:

Lil, nice post.
I guess this thread has gotten a little off track from baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:56 am:

I personally think they should change it to "Jeter Bless America." True he can't go to his left but he dived in the stands for YOU!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:57 am:

God bless us all.

..but if I were IMOAN, I wouldn't be knocking the wit of a doorlock...

http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=28&year=2000&month=6&art=50977&group=Home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:38 pm:

this is interesting but what I really want to hear is Sactodavey's take on this... so for one time and one time only I am begging you Sactodavey please give us your 2 cents!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:04 pm:

ok hear goes its over kill period typical yankee do it till we choke on it stuff, yes we all felt the sting of 9-11 and this stuff poped out but its been 4 yrs, time to move on, i mean did they keep doin this stuff after world war 2? did they sing this in lets say 46 or 47 when the war was over?

as far as the irish tenor thing its an east coast thing, even though i am part irish i think George loves the NY culture thing and the irish are in deep there so they do that stuff like Robert merril rest in peace.

i think we should have Billy beane sing "take me out to the ball game every 7 inn" intead he can sing "1 2 3 runs they score(on our dumb asss pitchin staff) at the ol ball game"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:08 pm:

sacto i don't care what anyone on here says about you i think you are freakin hilarious! and you keep us all honest about beane. thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:20 pm:

I just think it's hilarious to hear Sacto say "time to move on". LMAO!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:35 pm:

Sacto Sacto Sacto Sacto Sacto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 02:03 pm:

Well, if you don't mind, since this thread has nothing to do with A's baseball, I will relocate it to the Off-Field matters.

ps: jer i miss you :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 03:48 pm:

The move on line from Sacto is classic and hilarious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 03:49 pm:

move on Gonzalves

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 10:49 pm:

Don't forget the greatest country on this entire GOD Damned earth invented this sport that we are all pasionate about! Also please keep deriding Christians because when the militant Muslims takeover you will really learn about GOD or as they say Allah from the comfort of your prayer rug!

GOD Bless America!
GOD Bless our military!
GOD Bless Oaktowngreen (Literally this fine man could lose his life in combat, think about that.)
Finally GOD Bless the A's!
Oh I almost forgot I hope Michael Mooreon chokes on a Big Mac!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 10:52 pm:

ok if that wasn't the most political statement on this site i do not know what is.

i think when Lil wakes up its bye bye to you washfan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 12:02 am:

lmao @ sactodavey. the more I read your posts the more you make me crack up. hey are you really in sac? i am from the bay area but i live in davis now. how do you like never getting our A's on TV up here? i wish upn 12 would carry all of the channel 36 games. and you're right that was the most political post ever on an OAFC board i think! i am not even gonna bother responding to that, i think we should all kinda lay off this topic and go back to being A's fans (or critics)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 12:40 am:

GOD bless Beane!
GOD bless Sacto!
GOD bless Jon Stewart!

how's that for political?

GOD bless Allah!

whoa, can you say that? does that work? or does it just negate itself?

seriously, I wanna go to a game with Sacto... you interested RayFosseFan? we could have a big tailgate party and sing This Land is Your Land in the 7th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 02:11 am:

Oh SactoD I did not know you became the mod. Fine F-it! Ban me! I'm just sick of some people making their little political quips and then saying let's get back to baseball....

Oh and Sac your NOT the reality check on this board your just a big mouth buffoon we all laugh at.

So let's get back to baseball or maybe Lil will let this and only this one thread be the official political/religious thread? I think I'll just hum myself a tune to get back to sleep "We are the world........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 04:28 am:

Consider this post a warning to those who are so selfish and irresponsible they are willing to
poison the atmosphere of this board simply to have some fun. It isn't even due to idealism or
political activism...it is sheer bullshit and lack of respect for those who wish to use this place simply enjoy their baseball.

The next user who tries to be cute or try to disrupt this board will be deleted. NOT just their post but their logon user name.

This thread is officially closed. I will not erase the posts as a reminder to all what went on here.

To those of you involved here:

Get a clue and grow up! I believe not many people here who were exposed to your crap thought you guys were being cute and funny.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.