Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

This team sucks.

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: This team sucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 06:10 pm:

Pitching wise, except for Dotel's blowups and Zito's and Calero's struggles have been pretty good.

The pitching staff has an ERA under 4 still, the offense is just killing this team's chance of winning games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 06:16 pm:

5th, not the last time I checked. Maybe in 60 years give or take. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:07 pm:

Well Sacto Davey is not keeping up with his duties.

Hudson threw 8 shutout innings, and beat the Muts
4-0.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:36 pm:

hey bye June i will be out of baseball for the yr ready for football , thnx billy beane for fff ing up my fave sport.

bye Aug we will have bets on if the A's lose 90 or 97 game this yr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:11 am:

Well, basketball used to be my favorite sport until about 5 years ago. Baseball has passed it up as my #1 favorite.....followed by SJ Sharks Hockey at #2. Basketball comes in 3rd, followed by Football.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:45 pm:

ok ok Jose gullen is 3-4 with 2 hr now is hitten .300 10 hr

for 3 mill a yr

another beane classic brought to you bye

"your a loser" the cereal that loser GM's eat every morning is that right Billy beane?

as beane replies back to the came "right on"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:11 pm:

I think Chris Singleton got a single in AAA the other day. I can't believe Billy let him go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:19 pm:

I hear Mike Oquist struck out his kid in whiffle ball the other day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:24 pm:

Very good Sacto, everyone has theirurdens in life. Even though others may not recognize them
as such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:50 pm:

I heard Mike Gallego TLR's lawn and he would really help out our infield defense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 07:23 pm:

After today...

Dan Haren: 4.17 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, .248 BAA, 7 QS

Mark Mulder: 4.17 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, .275 BAA, 6 QS

Remember one guy earns 20x as much as the other, gets plenty of run support and doesn't have to face a DH. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 09:05 pm:

Excellent points oakland j!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 09:43 pm:

Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 12:34 am:

Yeah, that's why I'm not all that upset with the Mulder deal like many A's fans are.

Plus, remember that Barton probably is the A's best prospect so this trade could be huge for teh A's the next 5 years if Barton is as great as advertised.

Haren if he had any type of scoring support for most of the year would have 5 or so wins so he's not that far behind Mulder. The really question with this trade is whether Mulder will get hurt down the stretch which has happened twice during his 5 years with the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:25 am:

I still think Haren will be a #2 starter, at least. As he gains confidence/experience, I'm betting he'll be adding some pitches to his repertoire, as well. I know there is only one Hudson, but I still see some of Hudson in Haren with the stuff he throws. Hope I'm right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:52 am:

"The really question with this trade is whether Mulder will get hurt down the stretch which has happened twice during his 5 years with the A's."

Really, it was more like three times, because remember in 2002 he lost a month with that forearm strain. The only year he pitched effectively for the whole season was 2001.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 01:04 pm:

This is why SactoD is not the GM.

Haren is the steal of the whole Mulder trade...a younger, cheaper and yet to be injured pitcher who will be here for a few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 02:47 pm:

Steal? When you give up a frontline pitcher, who
is still fairly young, it is both team getting
what they need. The Cardinals are in a win now
mode and have the $$ to pay Mulder, they cannot wait on Haren to become consistent. The A's are rebuilding, and get a top prospect who will be
very good in the future, and cheap.
It is the type of trade that fits both teams current needs.

Either pitcher can come up injured, pitchers get
injured a lot. Youth is no guarantee that a pitcher will not get hurt...See Prior and Woods
for example.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 02:54 pm:

Well, when you're dealing in youngsters, especially it generally takes 2-3 years (at least) to realize whether the trade was good one or a dud. I'm thinking (hoping) that within two years we'll realize that Barton was also a steal. And, if he remains healthy, Calero ain't too bad either.

The Hudson deal isn't looking too bright; however, Meyer could still turn out to be a good one. Right now Cruz/Thomas aren't looking too good. Even so, it is still too early to know for sure. But in the end, it was either getting what he got from the Braves or settling for draft choices ... and in a year when the draft is considered to be pretty average, at best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 02:57 pm:

Oh, and I read this somewhere yesterday. Lou Piniella was quoted as saying that if and when the Braves ever offer pitching prospects in a deal, leave the room immediately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 03:09 pm:

I agree that the Huddy deal looks awful NOW.

But I do think Meyer will be a solid starter for the A's in the near future. Braves pitching prospects have panned out almost everytime even if it didn't happen right away. Do I expect Meyer to be a great SP who can win you 15-17 games, no; but 10-12 for an extended period of time is good for me if he lives up to the hype he had.

Cruz and Thomas, yeah they've really struggled but you never know if Beane could use one or even both in a trade package this trade deadline or next year.

He did the same with Pena and the likes of Rhodes/Redman. FAs signed or players he traded for that didn't really succedd here but traded them in deals that I think netted us very good players eventually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:50 pm:

Urban predicts Thomas will in left next year and Cruz the #5 starter. Actually, a lot can happen, but he could be right. He also predicts Kotsay in center. I would too, but only if BB gets him signed to an extension.

Speaking of Pena. One Detroit columnist this morning said that it's possible Pena should consider a career outside of baseball. I paraphrase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 06:01 pm:

We have a team option on Kotsay for next year, right, or if not, it's at least guaranteed? Wasn't that part of the initial hold-up when the trade went through last year, that it was initially a player option and we wanted to make sure Kotsay wouldn't opt out, so we had that negotiated into either a 3rd year or a team option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:50 pm:

"We have a team option on Kotsay for next year, right ... "

You know, that's what I thought too, only I thought it was a straight 3 yr deal. But now I'm hearing from different folks he can opt for FA at the end of each season ... which would have included this year. Frankly, I thought on one hand, the additional mil per, they had to pay him, eliminated that, but apparently not, as it was part of his contract (w/SD) that he gets an additional mil per, if dealt.

I do remember shortly after the trade something about him being able to opt for FA after each year and I remember him chuckling and saying it's unlikely he would do so, especially coming to a contender. If that's true, he may feel differently after this season. I know in NY there have already been some rumblings about what a nice fit he would be for them. I just hope BB gets that extension done quickly, before this season's end. His home is in Remo and he has said he would like to stay here with a multi-year deal ... but that was earlier in the season. We can't afford to lose him.

I'll shoot an email to Susan Slusser and ask her. If she doesn't know, she'll find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:52 pm:

Reno. :) Geez, I've got to do a better job of proofreading. Still wish we had a "edit" button here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 09:05 pm:

Unless he really sours on the organization I expect Kotsay won't opt out of the final year of his contract. He doesn't put up big enough numbers to get more than $6.5 million he's due to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 09:12 pm:

I also think he is another guy who would prefer to remain on the West Coast. But then I thought that of Giambi too. :)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.