Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Let's get it over with

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Let's get it over with
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 02:06 am:

bring on the rookies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:14 am:

AMEN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:19 am:

Dan Johnson has lifted his average to 315 after a slow start. He has mashed every place he has ever played. What the blank are they waiting for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:52 am:

I am all for the Dan Johnson in LF experiment.

Why not bring this guy up? Worse comes to worse he hits under .220, he would fit in perfect on this team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:01 pm:

Only thing I'd say if they are planning on calling up Johnson and trying him in the outfield they probably would be waiting until after the Boston series. Trotting a weak defensive first baseman out in left field to deal with the Green Monster in his first game could get ugly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:41 pm:

gibedaddy i couldn't have said it more perfect myself. give the guy a shot. LF, 1B, heck even SS I don't care. The guy has mashed and now it's his timefor the big show!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:22 pm:

oh yea, bring on the rookies. At least we could have a reason to watch this season. The current team will not go to the playoffs so why not pull the plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:41 pm:

Too early to pull the plug IMO.

It's excruciating, but I still think having patience with this group will pay off.
As long as we don't fall too far behind the Angles, I think BB will resist change to give our veterens the (extreme, maybe) benefit of the doubt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:49 pm:

I don't see Byrnes or Dotel with the A's after the trade deadline.

Dotel probably could garner a lot of trading possibilites from teams like the Mets, Reds, Marlins, or the number of other teams contending.

I don't know about Byrnes, if he contiues to struggle, I don't know how much trade value he'll have that he had before the season started.

I say bring in DJ who many here have been clamouring to see. They cant do any worse than what the current A's are producing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:54 pm:

Yes the floor has pretty much dropped out on Byrnes trade value. The time to trade him was this offseason but I think it was one case where Beane was actually swayed by the fans not to trade a guy. Oops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 08:38 pm:

With all the criticism of Beane's offseason moves/non-moves, his decision not to deal Byrnes while his value was at its peak could possibly be the worst of them all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 08:42 pm:

I wish they would have traded Byrnes' roided ass. I think Beane's hunch was that Byrnes was not going to produce again like he did last year and it's looking like Beane was right.

This has to be Beane's worst off season yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 08:46 pm:

More likely, I think, is that BB did not get a real taker for Byrnesy.

From what I know of BB, he could give a rats ass what the fans think. He is way to ...uh...confident for that.

I think, BTW, that's the only way for a GM to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 09:53 pm:

How many here were in favor of keeping Byrnes.

I've always been hesistant about his streakness for the past 3 years.

I think it was two years ago after he had a great month or two that ended with a cycle at SBC, Byrnes went down the dumper.

This guy always has scared me.

Though I was impressed by last year's showing that he could be an everyday player, I wouldn't have blown up if the A's traded him away this past offseason.

Hopefully the outfield when September comes is.

LF:maybe a young player Beane trades for during the deadline? Pena or Kearns?

CF:Kotsay although has cooled down, is still very productive and leading the A's in batting (.305) and runs with 15. He plays good defense, but he needs to run more. He has not freakin steals this year and has only attempt to steal twice.

RF:Keilty has been the one of the very few in this lineup that has hit well the past few weeks. His batting has dipped under under .240 at .238, he's still driving runs in and getting on base. He's 3rd in RBIs with 13 behind Kotsay and Durazo; and also 4th in OPS behind Kotsay, Durazo, and Scutaro and he's had nearly half the at bats they've had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:34 pm:

How many people here had given up on Kielty? Everyone! He just needed some time. It was early in the season as well. I think the same will happen for Byrnes. Give him some time.....its still early in the season. A month from now....I think some people in here will have a change of heart towards Byrnes. I've loved him from day one....and I still do. His defense might be shaky.....like on routine catches.....but when there is a diving play for the ball.....he always impresses and saves runs in the process. He's one of the best at making extreme hustle-diving plays. Like tonight.....he preserved the lead for us with that great diving catch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:45 pm:

that catch tonight was amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:51 pm:

Amen to that.....but I still think that diving catch for the foul ball was better...in fact, so far that is the catch of the year in all of baseball. I've never seen anyone lay themselves out and fly that high and far in the air to make a catch. BTW rff.....if I remember correctly, you're a Byrnes diehard too, aren't you? And concerning Dan Johnson....he's earned the opportunity to play in the bigs. I think our future looks sweet with him, Swish and Daric Barton in our lineup.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.