Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Kendall's under the bus

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Kendall's under the bus
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:26 pm:

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050510&content_id=1045199&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

Defending Jason: Boston's starting pitcher Tuesday, Bronson Arroyo, created something of a stir with his recent criticism of catcher Jason Kendall. The two were teammates in Pittsburgh, and Arroyo, in two different stories about Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek, had some harsh words for Kendall.

"The way I saw it, [Kendall] didn't really care about the defensive part of the game," Arroyo told the Eagle-Tribune Publishing which owns a handful of newspapers in the New England area. "He didn't want to work with pitchers too much. Don't get me wrong -- the guy busted his butt and played hard. But I just felt like he didn't really care if we got guys out or not. It's hard to have a successful team when you're pitching to catchers you're not really talking to."

Similar comments from Arroyo appeared in the April 11 issue of ESPN The Magazine and they didn't go without notice in the A's clubhouse.

We know he has difficulty with the throw down to second, he's chosen to throw to the back of the double steal whether the lead runner is on 2nd or 3rd, and hasn't come out to the mound to settle down his pitchers, no matter how rattled they've been. Granted the guy is new, but this may be more a matter of his defensive ability rather than his defensive desire. Too soon to tell.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.