Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Pena resigns

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Pena resigns
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:49 pm:

as coach of the Royals, who are 8-25.... fire sale coming your way soon?

hey maybe we could get Sweeney on the cheap...

or buy back T Long or Staisey?!?! just kidding folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 12:18 am:

Sweeney would be genius... he could change everything!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:26 am:

This type of post will appear in most every teams
message board, including the Yankees.
Sweeney would change things, including having to dump a lot of players to compensate for Sweeney's contract size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:32 am:

we happen to have a few dumpable players.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:47 am:

Oh yeah that's genius, bring in an injury prone overpaid old vet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 09:10 am:

Maybe Macha will follow Tony Pena's lead?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:03 am:

washfan thanks for that brilliant analysis. Sweeney would add a lot of punch to this team and yes he's had injury problems but so are a lot of guys Beane gets off the scrap heap. Sweeney isn't really scrap but he still has potential. He also probably won't get traded though since he is their "captain". What do you suggest this team does to improve the offense?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:18 am:

I would LOVE to get Sweeney - for some prospects. He's having a great year and can "play" 1b and is righty. He would be the first legitimate RH threat this team has had since Miggy.
If we can get them to pay some dough, I am all for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:52 am:

RFF,

Well geez not being a PhD candidate and all I would suggest that Beane attempt to pry Neikro (A young, cheap and powerfull righty.) out of SF for D.Johnson and Byrnes and maybe another prospect. Yeah, I know why would the cross town rival want to help us and vice versa? Brilliant enough for you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 12:52 pm:

I really like Niekro too. After ST, I suggested we get him.

I think, unfortunately, Sweeney is in the dream catagory along with V.Wells, L.Matos, and Sheffield, who I also, wildly, suggested. Sweeney because of age, injury history, and money. The others because we'd have to give up too much probably.

The leftovers (ie Sanders, R.White etc) are probably not worth the cost long term.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 06:50 pm:

You know who I would LOVE on this team? Dimitri Young. Switch hitter - plays 1b, 3b and OF. Has pop. It will never happen, but it would be great.

Besides his playing, he's a total jokester and has a good time playing the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 07:00 pm:

I know this is totally ridiculous, and will never happen, but I LOVE that kid Barmes with the Rox. They need bullpen help big time....BUT they would NEVER part with Barmes, no way.

In any case, I can see Dotel giving up even MORE home runs if he every becomes a Rox.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 07:15 pm:

Yea, I like D.Young a lot also. Another guy kinda like him that I thought would be a low cost option was Carl Everett.

I know he, like Bradley, like Guillan, come with baggage but all those guys seem to have grown up and they could always RAKE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:16 pm:

Dimitri Young is a good stick. I also like Carl Crawford a lot and Shannon Stewart. And Magglio Ordonez (when he's healthy!) Great players.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:21 pm:

Vernon Wells, interesting name that I haven't heard mentioned. The Jays are a mess and aren't going to win anything anytime soon.

Wells is a legit 30/30 guy and plays gold glove caliber defense so I wouldn't mind seeing him in the green and gold.

Even though he's struggling, I'd still think he's relatively young and probably hasn't even reached his prime years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 09:21 pm:

Vernon Wells is mentioned all the time, but if
the A's wanted him the first name out of J.P.'s
mouth would be Harden.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:36 pm:

Forget Harden, he's the one untouchable on the A's, maybe ahead of Chavez now.

Harden looks to be the next great A's starting pitcher and unlike with Hudson/Mulder/Zito; he can rely on his stuff a lot more than the former Big 3 did since neither were blow you away pitchers like Harden is. I really wouldn't trade Harden for any young pitcher in the game right now, maybe Willis but that's about it.

I don't know what Wells makes but if you give the Jays a few of the A's top 10 prospects, I wouldn't be all that opposed to getting Wells. The Jays are a decent team but are nowhere close to competing in that division and they're not going to win with Wells there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.