Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Macha / Harden / Losses and more ramblings from an A's fan

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Macha / Harden / Losses and more ramblings from an A's fan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 08:30 am:

Okay...I was watching the game for a few innings last night before I had to spend time with the family - then I followed it on the puter, but couldn't watch.

I see Harden left the game early and NO posts about that yet?? Strained oblique! That can't be good (for the A's for my fantasy team). This is a sad time for us A's fans. Here are some thoughts:

1. Macha
I am not a Macha fan - I don't hate his guts really either. I am just in the middle. Though, I think he's done a lot more to HURT this team in the past, then help. Certainly, as much as he is a turd, this losing streak is NOT his fault AT ALL. HOWEVER, he is not doing ONE DAMN thing to help. His quotes about not wanting to change the batting order because "everyone is in their optimal slot" is maybe one of the most pathetic things I have ever read. Are you serious? Optimal? Is it optimal that we keep losing and can't score runs? Is it optimal that there are only a few guys getting on base? Is it optimal that we have guys slumping like no other?? NO. Then why in the world would you keep guys in an "optimal" slot when NOTHING else is optimal.

Changing the batting orders is the SMALLEST thing that can be done to try and change things up. Yes, we can make trades, we can demote and promote - but why not try the SMALLEST thing you can FIRST. Kendall leadoff for YEARS as a Pirate and posted a career .300+ batting average? Why not give that a try for a few games? Kotsay, while going through a bit of a slump, is certainly our best hitter now - why not bat him 3rd or 4th so that maybe we could get him up with a couple guys on base?

Durazo, Hattey,Chavey - they are all better hitters than what they are showing now, but they are not hitting. So why not move it around? WHY is Chavey batting in the heart of the lineup? WHY O WHY? It's just stupid! Chavey may or may not come around, but him k'ing looking and popping crap up in the heart of the order while he trys to work out of his slump is idiotic.

I just wish Macha had more sense.

2. Harden
Strained oblique. Not good. He could be DL'd. Yabu could be used as a starter or we could call up Etherton? Either way, he's been our best starter (we just don't get him runs). This is gonna hurt us. BUT at the same time, I do believe this year is done. I knew this year we could either be REALLY good and surprise some peeps, or REALLY bad and meet the expectations..... I just don't feel that we are gonna get on the horse and make a run for the pennant. I would rather just expect the losses and see some guys start playing ball. That's just my thought. That leads to Losses:

3. Losses.
This team is losing losing losing - it would be nice for a spark. Something needs to be done. Bringing up Etherton to take over for Harden is not what I am talking about. The hardest part here is that we have guys who ARE good ball players, but they are ALL not hitting. Hattey can hit, Chavey can hit, Ruby can hit....but they are all NOT hitting....that's what is so hard to take. It's not like we have a bunch scrubs on this team (even though we all say we do) - these ARE some good players. And that's why it's hard to take these losses - cause some critics thought we'd suck because of our pitching -but that has been our strength! Now it's just our freaking lack of hitting....nobody thought that would be the problem this year - but it is.

I hope the front office is taking notice and thinking about doing all kind of things. As I posted before, there is NO WAY we can keep Dotel, Ruby AND Hattey, Ginter/Ellis/Scutaro, Byrnes/Kielty/Thomas next year. There are players to move and I would like to see us get players we can use in return, rather than draft picks.

Soon, we shall see - if the guys running this team are smart, they will stop sitting on their asses and realize that we need to do SOMETHING.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jayho on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 09:30 am:

stated well. except i do hate macha with a raging passion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 10:58 am:

We actually get guys on base problem is we just LOB 'em. I agree let's get Kendall leading off he is starting to show signs of breaking out of his slump. Aside from the two doubles, he had a warning track fly out as oposed to a weak ground out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 11:00 am:

I agree, we get guys on base, but we leave them there. That is my point for messing with the lineup. Put some guys in the front of the order and put the guys who are hitting in the middle.

Baseball is a weird game. Sometimes guys may see different pitches with different people behind them. Frankly, I just can't see a reason to NOT change up the batting order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 11:39 am:

Actually this A's team does not have a good OBP,
they are 11th in the AL in OBP. Combine that with
poor hitting with men on base, the worst slugging percentage in the AL,
and you get the worst offense in the AL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=batting&group=7&seasonType=2&type=type1&sort=onBasePct&split=0&season=2005

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 03:29 pm:

gota wonder if the way guys like redman and rodes are pitchin if Macha or the A's philosophy is not right on handling relief pitching? because man both are having great yrs so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 05:00 pm:

You can add Hammond in SD to that list also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 10:26 pm:

Ted Lilly looks like garbage. 18+ERA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:01 am:

Well now is the time. Since this season is lost and it will be a series of AAA players and fill ins and year long slumps the rest of the season, there is absoultely no reason we shouldn't bring back 46 year old RICKEY to come back and retire at home while helping coach the younger players and score a few more runs before his great career finally ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:16 am:

Mecir is having a good season so far as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 12:49 pm:

BRING RICKEY BACK!!!!! I agree.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.