Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

What was Beane doing? Re-tooling, Re-building or...

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: What was Beane doing? Re-tooling, Re-building or...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 05:28 am:

Beane was re-tooling when he traded away Hudson and Mulder? Were those two pitchers injury-prone or damaged goods and we didn't know it?

Some here feltt his was a re-tooling and not a re-building year.

I just read that Dan Myers has been shut down for the rest of the season with an "exhausted" rotator cuff. Was he the one that was damaged goods and not Hudson as some here felt as the reason for trading both Hudson and Mulder?

I'm starting to feel the A's got hit by a wrecking ball and is now, neither re-tooling nor re-building....this team is in dire need to re-construct but that won't happen until the hauling crew fills up the dumpster.

I really feel we're not in for a long year...we're in for a few long years...at least two.

Oh well...what will the next A's era be called?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 07:04 am:

We're rebuilding. We had a chance to "retool" if the veterans we signed to huge contracts the past few years like Chavez, Zito, Byrnes, Kendall, Durzao, Hatteburg, Dotel played like studs and led this team to a playoff push.

Add to that the emergence of a Harden and Crosby in their full second year as a starter and I think you had the makings of a competitve team.

But what could go wrong did go wrong. Injuries to Harden, Crosby, Swisher and the veterans not coming through in Chavez, Durazo, Byrnes, Hatteburg and Kendall have all been subpar years in many minds of A's fans.

What hurt more than losing with veterans is having the young players that will lead this team 3-4 years from now get down and lose valuable playing time like Crosby who only has two ABs this year and Swisher who looks like he'll miss more than a few weeks.

The A's are rebuilding and I see this season closly resembling the 98 year when the Niners brought up Tejada, Greive, Chavez and had the Big 3 still coming up the next few years.

Chavez, Kotsay, Crosby, Swisher, Kendall, Harden, Haren, Street will be the main contributor for the A's in the future. You add to that a few hot shot A's prospect like the A's did in the late 90s with a Daric Barton, Richie Robbnett, Dan Johnson, Jairo Garcia, Jason Windsor and hopefully many more.

The past A's teams the half decade have given us A's fans very good seasons. From 99 to 04, they had winning years and made the playoffs from 00-03 and had playoff dreams the other two years in 99 and 04 but saw those dreams end the last week/series of the season.

The A's weren't going to be contenders for the playoffs with their low payroll. The only two teams that have made playoff pushes the past decade are the Braves and Yanks. The Yanks can do that because of the talent and money they had/have. The Braves had their own version of the Big 3 for close to a decade. With the cheap ownership group the A's had, they couldn't keep their Big 3 and maybe have contended for the next few years as did the Braves during their 90s and early 21st century run at the playoffss.

2006 but probably more likely 2007 is when I see the A's making a another push.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 07:52 am:

PERSPECTIVE:

The poo-pooing of the Mulder and Hudson trades are ridiculous in evaluating where we are this year. Our SP overall has been very good. What would having both those guys this year with the same offense do?? We'd still lose! WE NEED RUNS.

We could pitch 5 consecutive one hitters - with all the one hits being HR's and we could likely lose all 5 games 1-0 while leaving 12 guys on. that's how bad this team is.

THAT is not Beane's fault.
THAT is not Macha's fault.

It is the hitters' faults!

As I posted somewhere else; look at our batting averages! Look at our LOB! If our batters were hitting even CLOSE to their career BA, we could be 5 games above .500 or more instead of where we are. This is ALL hitting, not starting pitching. The absence of Mulder and Hudson have done NOTHING to affect this club - and if it has, because of a lack of a "leader" than our team deserves NOTHING!

Faulting Beane for this team is silly. You may not like the 2 trades and I understand that, but having them both here would do nothing if an entire team is slumping - that's it - point blank and that cannot be argued.

If this team can get the hitting going, we then have a decent team still.

Macha has done NOTHING to spark this team - minimally, he should be changing this batting order for god's sake. He should be fired alone for not doing that. And if the insistence to use the current "optimal" lineup is BB's idea....well then, shame on him, he's throwing this year away. I expect more from Billy - Macha is just a moron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:01 am:

My post was not meant to assign blame on Beane, Macha or any player in particular.

I'm just wondering where Beane stands as far as the post-trades results and how disgusted he is with the team the A's are fielding right now.

I'm not talking about what Hudson/Mulder would be
doing...I'm talking about what the A's got for them and what they are not doing.

Calero, Dan Myers and others seem to dropping like flies or flopping like hot cakes out of the oven prematurely...aren't those the re-building folks?

I'm not talking here about pitching inconsistencies which are common and often the case with young arms.

And as for the offensive/defensive position players? All I can say is that it is pretty telling when the diehard fans keep begging for a minor leaguer who seems to be hitting well in AA and AAA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:06 am:

Lil,
My post wasn't really directed at you - I was going to have a seperate thread but decided to tie it in.

"And as for the offensive/defensive position players? All I can say is that it is pretty telling when the diehard fans keep begging for a minor leaguer who seems to be hitting well in AA and AAA. "

It's true - that's sad.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.