Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Does Macha know how to read stats???

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Does Macha know how to read stats???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 04:11 pm:

Tied up at 4-4, with 2 guys on, 2 outs, and Macha keeps Rincon in to face Giambi, who is a career .364 hitter (4 for 11 with 3 doubles and an Hr) against him. Street was in the pen....he should've brought him in to face G. Giambi is 0 for 1 against Street. Yes, small sample size....but it's a helluva lot better then facing Rincon. I was cursing at the screen when Macha kept him in. Geez.....I hate Ken Macha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 04:12 pm:

Make that 5 for 12 now with 4 doubles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 05:12 pm:

Macha also did not pick up on the potential for really motivating Giambi by walking Posada to get to him. That's just playing into the hands of the old A's version of JG. Yo Kenny, good strategy, get Giambi all fired up in the presense of his old homies and let him face a pitcher he's had success against.......Or bring in Street to face a turned around lefty hitting Posada and diffuse the situation and go ahead inning.

Sorry YC but the ,200 hitting Giambi's hit was clutch, fueled by his umbrance at being targeted as the weak link.

This move wasn't as aggregious as other Macha mistakes but adds to the laundry lists of why he should not be managing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 05:15 pm:

I had a talk with Warren about that one. :)

Worse to me was the fact that he put another guy on (IBB) with 2 outs which I feel is moronic given our personnel. Sometimes it can work, but with 2 outs already and only needing one, it's gonna take a VERY sweet match up for me to be behind that. Furthermore, Macha does that quite a bit and he usually doesn't make out well - he usually screws it up.

I didn't know that the stats were that bad for rincon vs. Jason - I didn't want the matchup regardless. Seems macha is way more in love with the lefty lefty thing....

This losing streak is not Macha's fault - he's just not doing a DAMN thing to help us get out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:57 am:

Posada batting .210 against righties this year Street was warming up in the pen....
He had all his homers vs. righties, but just pointing out that putting an extra run on the bases at that point was not the smartest thing - especially in light of G's numbers vs. Rincon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 02:23 pm:

My point exactly Asch.

If you bring in Street to face Posada you can tell the kid to try to make him hit YOUR pitch. If he pitches Posada carefully and he doesn't bite, at the worst with first base open, its an unintentional, intentional walk bringing up Giambi without the extra motivation of passing up Posada to get to him.

Macha doesn't pick up on this stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 03:10 pm:

He sure doesn't.
To me, that is just a no-brainer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.