Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Torres discusses A's fans

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Torres discusses A's fans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 08:41 am:

In a radio interview, Torres was angry at A's fans concerning Giambi, "For everything Jason has done for his fans and team, I can't believe they're treating him this way.." I can't believe he doesn't get this-just wants to further our "bad Oakland" image.
Even "The Rise Guys" this morning said how bad the fans are becoming, although one of them reminded the others that when the Giants were playing crappy and had smaller attendance, fights would break out..I think it's frustration, but is security also being too lax?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:11 am:

I read that there was a ton of security for this weekend, but it didn't prevent the foolishness that went on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 11:56 am:

It's overblown.
The games at Yankee stadium in the 80's were often times near riots in the stands.
Imgine even now if a bunch of us showed up to a Yankee/A's game in the bronx with our A's gear on and started mouthing off like a-holes? Think a few fights might break out? Think beer might be poured? Yes, it happens. Giant fans were applauded years ago when they dumped beer on Lasorda. TLong had beer and coins thrown at him at SBC.

But the media points the finger at ALL A's fans now when a beer is dumped by an A's fan. Makes a lot of sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cheese on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:02 pm:

I saw beer thrown at Lasorda plenty of times after games at Candlestick. But the media forgets, or thought it was funny, or "Boys will be Boys". Below is the story on Terrence Long from the Tribune:

>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cheese on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:04 pm:

Here's the story from the Tribune on Long:

Headlines: LONG PELTED WITH RACIAL SLURS, DEBRIS AT PAC BELL

July 15, 2000

By Mark Saxon and Tony Kuttner
STAFF WRITERS Oakland Tribune

SAN FRANCISCO -- As genteel a setting as Pacific Bell Park generally is, Oakland A's rookie center fielder Terrence Long got an ugly reminder
Thursday night of some of the worst fan behavior imaginable.

Long said one fan yelled racial epithets at him while he was playing center field. He also was pelted with coins and had beer spilled on him as he chased a seventh-inning triple.

"I was (upset) the whole rest of the game," Long said. "I've pretty much heard racial remarks almost every place we've gone, but this was ridiculous. I saw the guy, too. I know exactly who he is, so I hope I run into him sometime."

At times, the line between rowdy fans stoking a rivalry and offensive behavior can be fine, but the A's had no doubts Thursday's behavior by one
fan was inappropriate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:22 am:

My boss went to Friday's game... he told me that people were throwing food @ the players in the Right Field bleachers - I guess that was missed since it was not at any specific player and was not of the alcholic nature.

Does not matter what sport it is.. throwing things at players is just stupid. I think what really hurts the most though is the raciest comments - People need to stop the ignorance... and learn some respect!

Sheesh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:33 am:

I remember going to a game as a kid in the old bleachers. These guys in front of us were falling down drunk, could barely talk. They bundled up the socks they were wearing at threw them at the leftfielder. I thought it was pretty funny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:05 pm:

Aren't Skanks' fans famous for throwing batteries at the opposition?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:44 pm:

No, that was Candlestick Gnatters aka Battery Chucks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 01:29 pm:

Maybe so, but they are also quite famous for bad behavior at Yankee Stadium, specifically the Bleacher Creatures. See a story I found from the Seattle PI a few years back.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/43820_color23.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 09:36 am:

"But when we try to throw them out, management won't back us."

They will throw you out if you take pictures of Mrs. Posada.

http://www.steveladner.com/events/images/Jorge%20Posada%20Yankee%20Catcher.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:37 am:

Looks like his children have inherited his unfortunate ears...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.