Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Trying to move Hattey?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Trying to move Hattey?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 08:45 am:

about half way down:

Red Sox Notebook: Ramirez is of two minds about 400th-HR milestone

01:00 AM EDT on Monday, May 16, 2005

BY SEAN McADAM
Journal Sports Writer

SEATTLE -- Apparently, Manny Ramirez couldn't decide on the significance of his home run yesterday, the 400th of his career.

The Red Sox' left fielder appeared alternately thrilled and indifferent about the accomplishment, which places him in rare company. Only 38 other players have reached the plateau Ramirez reached when he drove a three-run homer to right.

"It's just another home run," shrugged Ramirez.

But seconds later, Ramirez termed the feat "one of the greatest moments in my life."

"I do think it meant something to him," said manager Terry Francona. "It should -- it's a pretty big honor."

Even more impressive is how quickly Ramirez reached the milestone. The homer came on career at-bat 5,695. Only Mark McGwire, Babe Ruth, Harmon Killebrew and Ramirez' one-time teammate in Cleveland, Jim Thome, got to 400 in fewer at-bats.

Ramirez is also just the 13th player to reach 400 before his 33rd birthday and only the fourth to do so since Killebrew in 1969.

He became only the fourth player to hit No. 400 while wearing a Red Sox uniform, following Jimmie Foxx (1938), Ted Williams (1956), Carl Yastrzemski (1979) and Andre Dawson (1993). Two others who played for the Sox -- Babe Ruth and Jose Canseco -- also hit more than 400, but not while with the Sox.

"I'm just happy to accomplish that," said Ramirez following the Sox' 5-4 defeat to Seattle. "I knew it was going to happen someday. If I get it, I get it. If not, I know I'm there (at a special level)."

Red Sox clubhouse attendant Tommy McLaughlin retrieved the ball from Mark Black of Seattle, who was seated in section 107 in right field. McLaughlin gave Black a ball and a bat autographed by Ramirez in exchange for No. 400.

Asked what he planned to so with the ball, Ramirez cracked: "I don't know, probably put it on E-Bay, see how much I can get for it."

The homer came 12 years after Ramirez hit his first one in the majors, Sept. 3, 1993, off the Yankees' Melido Perez. Ramirez said he couldn't have then envisioned hitting 400.

"I don't set no goals," he said. "I just play hard and go home. I know I'm special."

No interest in Hatteberg

The Oakland A's called the Red Sox within the last few days to determine the Sox' level of interest in first baseman Scott Hatteberg. The A's were told the Sox had none.

Oakland wants to move Hatteberg's salary ($2.45 million) to make room for first base prospect Dan Johnson. But the Red Sox expect John Olerud -- currently getting into playing shape in extended spring training -- to arrive by June to help out Kevin Millar as a lefty bat and defensive replacement.

Beyond that, Boston is more focused on acquiring a younger first baseman for the future. Hatteberg, 35, was drafted by the Red Sox as a catcher and played for them from 1995 through 2001.

Ichiro cut down

The Sox cut down Ichiro Suzuki at the plate on a disputed call in the fourth inning.

Ichiro was at first when Randy Winn doubled to right. Right fielder Trot Nixon fired to cutoff man Mark Bellhorn, who threw home to catcher Doug Mirabelli. The speedy Ichiro was still up the line and pulled up short, attempting to elude the tag. He tried to hop over Mirabelli and lean over to tag the plate. Mirabelli appeared to miss on his first try to tag Ichiro with his bare hand, but home plate umpire Bill Miller ruled Ichiro out.

"I did tag him," said Mirabelli. "I just don't know at what point. I just know it was close."

Renteria's streak ends

For the second day in a row, a Sox player saw a hitting streak end. Saturday night, it was Johnny Damon, whose 18-game run ended with an 0-for-5 night. Yesterday, it was shortstop Edgar Renteria, who had hit safely in 10 straight, but was 0-for-5 against the Mariners. . . . David Wells, still aiming to start Wednesday in the road trip finale, will throw a side session today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:03 am:

hmmm. If that is true, then I hope Hatte doesn't read it. Personally, I'd rather move Durazo. I know not many will agree with me there. But, Durazo's salary is bigger, he has more trade value...meaning we could get something decent for him, and I think Hatte continues to be underrated and a bargain at 2+ million. Plus, he's a vet that I think we need in the Clubhouse. Johnson will provide the bat to replace Durazo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:06 am:

Durazo would not be a good fit with the Sox, they
have enough DH candidates.
The Astro's need a first baseman, with Bagwell
done for the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:20 am:

Is this Hattey's last year of his contract? If it is, then I don't mind moving him. I know Ruby is arb eligible so I don't see us keeping either one.

And as I have mentioned in the past - if this is our transition year, make the moves....if we are not keeping either one of hattey or durazy after this year, make the move now. If DJ is our 1b of the future, then get his ass up here NOW to get a year of seasoning.

If they are keeping one of the two of ruby or hattey, trade one now - get DJ up now to split.

I for one am a Hattey fan - he's been pretty solid for us for a few years now - he's turned into a pretty good 1b and isn't expensive.

But all these lefties are killing us. Right now it sounds as though we have Swish (when he comes back) to play some 1b if needed - and of course, our newest first baseman, Mark Eillis! LOL.

In any event, the sad thing is I think that Boston would be one of the few teams that will actually be interested in Hattey. So, if they are not, I think we are stuck unless we start trading those guys along with some prospects to sweeten the deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:36 am:

DJ's letter to the Trib? got published.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_2737624

Hatteberg

no solution

BILLY BEANE needs to remove the tunnel vision and forget about his dedication to Scott Hatteberg. With Miguel Tejada, the lack of power at first base was covered.

The move with Matt Watson was a start; I'm disappointed it wasn't carried further by also

calling up Dan Johnson.

Call him up now. Maybe the bats of Johnson and Watson will put an element of excitement back into a team which has become very boring in addition to its pathetic production.

Deanna Jimosse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:06 am:

Deajay, where are you???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:12 am:

The only team out there in serious need of a first baseman right now is Houston as Jeff Bagwell just had shoulder surgery and they've been playing Jose Vizcaino at first. Problem is the Astros have pretty much already conceded their season so they aren't exactly in the market to fill a need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:50 am:

One thing to keep in mind about the nice hitting
stats from the Rivercats players. The PCL is a great hitters league. Look at some of the top
performers in the PCL....Ardoin, E. German, Laird.
etc. Former A's farmhands, who have terrific numbers too. They had their shots a playing the the big leagues, and were found wanting.

http://www.rivercats.com/team/stats/index.php?autoload=leaders_indbatting&team_id=105&page=2&sort=avg&sorttype=d

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:19 pm:

We can't deal hatte straight up. In order to move hatte we'll have to pull another Ramon/T-long for Kotsay deal.

The most marketable guy that we should trade is Dotel. That's because of our depth (when healthy) at bullpen. BB's taken a lot of risks this past season, one I can live with is handing the baton of closer to Street. Dotel's been F---ing up lately, anyway. If I'm a gm of a contending team in desparate need of a closer I sure do take an interest in Dotel. But do I trade a big bat for him? (Presumably the A's want a BAT.) There's the rub.

Perhaps the A's do a Dotel+Hatte or Dotel+Hatte+Byrnes combo. Or, we'd have to deal hatte but throw in some cash (but I can't visualize us doing that:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:22 pm:

Piggybacking on Rocket's post, imagine Hatte in AAA sacramento. He'd put up what a .320BA, 15HRs, good OBP? I would like to see Johnson get a freaking at bat just to see if he can hang with big league pitching. If he can hack it, then deal hatte. It's not that hard. they're just being loyal to the guy b/c he came up out of nowhere in 2002.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 07:31 am:

THey are being loyal because overall, he's done a very good job in learning a new position and doing what they wanted him to do - take pitches, walk and be a stand up guy. He's had some nice clutch hits for us in the past. He's struggling now, but so is everyone. He's not making a ton of dough so it's not a horrible situation. I know he gets knocked by alot on here, but I would say besides this year, he's done a great job for us.

That said, if his contract is indeed done this year, then it may be time to move him or be done with him after this year. We cannot have another Durazo/Hattey situation next year. Whether is D. Johsnon or someone else, one of them needs to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 07:48 am:

My guess is that both Hatte and Mongo may go
next season. Hatte due to age and lack of power,
Mongo due to $$$ vs. production and others who
can dh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 07:57 am:

I love both players, but I guess with the youth movement and new team, it would be nice to have 2-3 guys on the team would play a position AND DH - so we'd have more options.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.