Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Byrnes and Macha

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Byrnes and Macha
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:29 am:

from this article

this is the best part:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/16/SPGMMCPQAN1.DTL

"I think you should leave people who come on the field alone," said Macha, implying the job is for security.

When Byrnes was told of the manager's comment, he said, "I don't really care what he says. I'm going to do what I'm going to do out there."

---------------------------------------------

Is Byrnes sitting out tonight?? :)

Also, The part about Roy Steele is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:39 am:

I just read that during my daily bathroom time here at work and got a kick out of Byrnes. The team is just so uncaring, unemotional, unfeeling, it's sickening. It all comes from the top and you can see from Macha's reaction. It's basically a byproduct of the Big Three Era, just wait, we'll get the one big hit that puts us in the W column. Be patient it will come. Unfortunately a strength has become a weakness and well emotion and heart and aggresiveness can be positive. Swisher would have brought back the swagger and fist pumping that left with Giambi and Tejada. It's a team attitude that comes from the top, leave it alone. Byrnes said hell no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:04 am:

I just love what Byrnes did. F*ck Macha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:20 pm:

Macha ia a puss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 06:22 pm:

sure enough, byrnes out of the lineup tonight, even though he's been hitting better than most of our other hitters recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 06:40 pm:

awesome.

Makes no sense. I understand we need to get guys in there, but Byrnes is 3 for 9 off Arroyo and is batting .333 with 5 runs and 4 rbis in his last 6 games. That's not amazing, but it's probably better than anyone else's numbers.....

I know Thomas needs to get some ab's but with an 8 game losing streak I am putting in the best hitter as of late.

also, good to see Macha is consistent; he goes to the same old batting lineup - chavey batting 3rd.

Man, I just CANNOT take this anymore. Macha needs to be bitch slapped big time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 08:28 pm:

What an idiot. Watson in left, Johnson in right. Even if they do well tonight, Macha should not have made this move given Byrnes' recent (relative) success.

I'm sure he'll cloak it as a "just trying to shake things up" move. But you wanna shake things up? Don't play the guys who are paid twice as much and are performing at half the level as Byrnes: Eric C., Ruby, Hattey. That's the message you should be sending, Ken, not personal-agenda messages like tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:07 pm:

t-long knew wassup afterall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:35 pm:

Well, I'll eat crow on the semi-rip on Watson and Chavez. In hindsight, it wasn't a bad move. They performed and we won.

But it was still a move that was done for the wrong reasons.

Then again, as you know, I'm just another loser on the internet. Not the freaking coach. So really, you know I'm right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:23 am:

We'll never know what sort of blow out we could have had if Byrnes had been in the lineup instead of being sent to his room for being a bad boy and talking back to daddy.

Macha is an ass, but he only reflects his puppet master's attitude. And we all know that Beane has never been high on Byrnes and that he still hopes to move our boy. Well, now he can justify his decision in his own mind. Byrnes' kindergarten report card will now reflect that he does not play well with others. What a load of crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:27 am:

The A's would have had a blowout if Byrnes had been in the line-up? Ooookaaay. He's still hitting .164 on the year against righties and Arroyo was leading the league in opposing average against righties at .138. He didn't allow a hit against a right handed hitter last night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:44 am:

Well, even though Byrnes is struggling against righties this year, he doesn't seem to be struggling against Arroyo...in his last 9 AB against him Byrnes has an OPS of 1000 so I suppose he does match up pretty well against the guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 09:17 am:

Making Byrnes sit out one game, no big deal. But
if he is dumped then there is a Macha factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 09:39 am:

How many run-ins with players has Macha had now?

Adam Piatt, Chris Singleton, T-Long and now Eric Byrnes. Add Rick Petersen to the mix, too. Granted, it's not a Murderers' Row, but I really think Macha's sour personality and crappy interpersonal skills have caused him to lose this team. Even in victory last night, the dugout looked lifeless. In 2.5 years, I've seen Macha rip a guy in the press more times than Howe did in his 7 years. And Howe, if you call, wasn't afraid to discipline guys (like benching Miggy for not running to first on a ground ball).

Even the first week of the season, when Scutaro was gamely filling in for Crosby after barely playing any SS in the spring, instead of using positive reinforcement or trying to fire up the troops after a key injury, Macha insulted Scutaro in the press and said his footwork wasn't great and needed more work. Thanks, Skip. It's a great way to alienate and de-motivate your players. Even players that don't read the paper on purpose likely hear about it later from friends, family, or other reporters.

I wish Beane had let Macha go to Boston three years ago. He's so thin-skinned, Macha would have snapped after a month of getting raked over the coals by Boston's press/fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 10:13 am:

well it's ok, my boss is an asshole too. ok, maybe 75% asshole and 25% slavedriver. i guess macha is just an asshole too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:41 am:

susan slusser has a bit about Byrnes and Macha in today's chron BTW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:50 am:

Yeah, first Macha says he's not going to "play the newspaper game" with Byrnes, but he lets it be known that he was going to meet with EB to make sure he knows who's the boss. I'll take Tony Danza over Macha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 01:11 pm:

can you post said article?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 01:18 pm:

It's right here:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/17/SPGJ6CP5VH1.DTL

I'm not a big Byrnes fan, but there is no doubt that Ken Macha is a turd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 02:53 pm:

Beane has never been high on Byrnes. It shows in the way this club treats Eric.

And I think Byrnes is now agitating for a trade. He sounded so very frustrated with his situation today on his morning call to KFRC. I don't blame him. There are teams out there who want him and will let him play. Beane should just go ahead and pull the trigger. I might be able to enjoy the season more without all of the melodrama.

We will still be able to catch all of his flying performances on Baseball Tonight. Thank goodness for cable and the internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 03:02 pm:

If a lot of teams wanted Byrnes I think he would have been dealt this past offseason. You're not going to get much for a platoon outfielder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 03:23 pm:

You can add to Macha's public badmouthing:

Melhuse - I personally heard him tell Bill King that Melhuse was to blame for one of pitcher's (can't recall which) because he hadn't done his homework. This was last year.

Even if true, doing his dirty laundry on a pre-game show is totally classless.

More recently Macha made some derogatory statements about Cruz to Slusser. It was not very long ago and it was something to the effect of not using him after Calero was shut down because Cruz had not shown good work or what he can do...something that could have been kept inside the clubhouse.

I agree the man is a turd...and we all know the cream always rises to the top but unfortunately a turd also floats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:21 pm:

Much to the chagrin of SactoD Beane's worst trade was Howe to the Mets to install this piece of crap manager Cacah! As much as I hate The Haloween team I hope Byrnes goes there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 10:20 pm:

I hope so too so we can see him screw up routine plays for the Giants instead of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 10:23 pm:

It sounds like there's a problem btw Byrnes and Macha. Macha also had a problem with TLong. Now Cruz. Who else does Macha have a problem with? Can we all see this is a manager problem? Beane can be so stubborn sometimes.

BRING BACK HOWE NOW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 09:35 am:

I remember about a month ago, Melhuse was upset, because he read on a website Macha wanted to rid of him. He went to Macha's office, and Macha re-assured him everything is okay. These guys might not feel secure at all, regarding their jobs. Macha does little to encourage their worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 09:45 am:

Prior to last night's game, Lew Wolfe was on the field talking to Macha. Later, during the game, Wolfe passed by me in the stands, and I said "Lew, I hope you were giving Macha his walking papers on the field, before the game". He stopped, stared at me, smiled, nodded, and walked off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 09:50 am:

Chavez is coming around, OPS of .715 over the last
7 days. Byrnes has been redhot the last 7 days
with an OPS of 1.3333.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=oak&cat=OPS&season=2005&split=61&seasonType=2&type=reg

But a lot of other A's are scuffling, and the
pitching and defense have gone in the dumper.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.