Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Donovan rips us a new "A's"hole

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Donovan rips us a new "A's"hole
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:45 pm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqdjIzNzFqBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwNlY2w-?slug=cnnsi-whatweknow&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

A few jabs in there re: the team AND our fans/stadium.

I am thinking of writing a retort - but maybe someone else has more experience at the stadium to have more ammo. To me, when he says it seems to happen more in Oakland, I just don't get that. I think this stuff happens ALL the time and we don't hear about it - people running on the field - is it really a big deal? I will tell you what, if we had just won 8 games in a row instead of lost, it wouldn't have been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 02:31 pm:

Jim Rome decided to make a sweeping indictment of Oakland fans today too.

When a Red Sox fan swipes Gary Sheffield on a ball in play, you see, it's just an isolated incident. When a couple of idiots run on the field in Oakland, then it means that the Oakland fans are all depraved. Got it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 03:07 pm:

I like our bad reputation F#$% the rest of world your in OAKTOWN BABY!

Hells Angels
Black Panthers
RAIDERS.

WHO CARES what the world thinks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:02 pm:

I care if it keeps people from coming to games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:59 am:

At least those idiots were relatively harmless. They didn't attack an umpire or a 1st base coach, like the dimwits in Chicago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:35 pm:

I'd think you should care. It's one thing to have a reputation of passionate fans and another to be associated with these idiots who don't even give a damn about the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 01:08 pm:

I just read an article in an old sports illustrated, from right before the WS and it had an article in it about the woman who died during one of the Boston fans "riots"/celebration after the playoffs.

The funny thing is two fold:
1. I VAGUELY remember hearing about that.
2. Why is it that a beer in a plastic cup thrown at Giambi and 2 guys running on the field get more press than a fucking DEATH. Okay, I am not condoning the actions at the coli, but give me a break - atleast A's fans don't riot!

I was young; did a's fans riot in the streets after we won playoff/ws games during 88-90??

This is a damned doubled standard that needs to be addressed.

Let me add too that while again, I don't condone fans running onto the field, I remember as a kid when that happened, it just wasn't as big of a deal as it is today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 03:25 pm:

Wasn't the Boston woman killed by POLICE shooting rubber bullets (or something like that)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 03:45 pm:

Yes, the fan in Boston was an Emerson College student who was hit in the face by a pepper-spray filled projectile shot into the crowd by police. It happened outside Fenway when the Red Sox beat the Yankees. (Although of course that was in NY.)

Coincidentally, the city is just about to settle with the girl's family in the $4M - $7M range. I guess there are two other individuals who were badly injured who are also going to receive settlements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:09 pm:

Not surprising there hasn't been much publicity about it, since the police were involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 07:31 pm:

My point is - not much pub. The Police were there BECAUSE the fans were rowdy...but no, no word on that. But, the guy who runs across the field in Oakland...stop the presses.

Give me a fucking break. THAT my friend is a media bias.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.