Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A Tribute to You-Know-Who:

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A Tribute to You-Know-Who:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:34 am:

Who said Boddington's??
YUM!!!!!!!!!

Also if you're ever in Whole Foods market or Trader Joes, pick up a 6er of Chechvar. In Prague it's called Budvar, the original Budweiser (tastes nothing like our version). Doesn't taste quite as good as the stuff brewed back there, but it's pretty close and one of my favorites of the Euro stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:44 am:

There is this beer called Gallo ("The Chicken Beer")- it's from Guantamala. Goes great with lime and a bit of salt. I like the chicken on the label too, since I collect chickens.

I also have to give my hometown beer a shoutout: Tiger Beer from Singapore. It's really really good, with a nice clean taste.

I am very impressed with the Oakland Coli - they do have a nice selection of beer there. Not cheap, but at least you get to enjoy a good brew while taking in a game at the ballpark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 09:09 am:

South of the border I just stick to Bohemia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:07 am:

En Mexico la mejor cerveza es Pacifico!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:24 am:

I just make my own!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:27 am:

And it's damn good!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:31 am:

On I-80 on the way to Sacramento, just outside of Vacaville, is a billboard ad for Mary's Pizza Shack that asks, "Where are you going right now hat's more important than spaghetti?"

We need a sign on this thread that says, "What kind of work are you doing right now that's more important than beer?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:33 am:

You do? That's very impressive! Is it hard to do - make your own beer?

I honestly think that the Coli should have a microbrewery selling "A's Brand" beer. Or "Moneybeer". Or "BB Brew".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:41 am:

one of my all-time favorite quotes - it's painted in large letters at Vesuvio, a bar in SF on Columbus near Vallejo st...

wc fields: "A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:44 am:

Booooooont. Mmmm.

One of the benefits of having moved to Portland is that the nearest neighborhood brewpub is never more than a stone's throw away. Beer is sacred here.

They're a little hoppy-happy here, kinda like Wisconsin is with cheese. But I'll take regional uniqueness over bland lager any day.

On a related note: if you haven't yet seen "American Beer" -- a tribute the the micros 'round the US -- then you owe yourself this favor.

Deets: http://www.offoffoff.com/film/2004/americanbeer.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:56 am:

Bohemia is a Pilsen type beer which is made by the multinational AMBEV corp which makes most of the beer consumed south of the border. Their malte is manufactured in Uruguai and they export over 130 tones of malte to Brazil alone.

Brazilian beer is also mostly Pilsen type with some Bock which you can find in spring and fall with the cooler weather.

The Pilsen is more favorable to the hot weather, low fermentation with Larger using rice and corn.
Some of the beer can have up to 7% alcohol.

The most popular here now is the SKOL also produced by AMBEV which btw also makes Carlsberg and Miller with also 7% alcohol.

My favorite brazilian beer is the Brahma Chopp draft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:13 am:

Beer lovers might like: World Encyclopedia of Beer:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0754809331/oaklanasfanco-20/

I have put the OaklandFans affiliate ID on the URL, so if you buy the book by clicking on this link, the Coalition gets a % of the sale. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:20 am:

I agree. Brahma é muita saborosa.

http://img.terra.com.br/i/2003/03/04/38001_ga.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:53 am:

Ha...I agree but the one I was making reference to comes in a cold bottle (estupidamente gelada as they say here). Not that there's anything wrong with the hot one either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 12:48 pm:

You guys should organize a tailgate party sometime, drinking nothing but homebrews created by A's fans. What a blast that would be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 12:56 pm:

And Bubba could bring his honey beer!

Hey, oakchick, thanks for thinking of the OAFC!

Lil, "estupidamente gelada" sounds like cold stupid to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 01:10 pm:

oakchick, I think you want the Raiders discussion board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 01:56 pm:

We have done that(I always brewed for the playoffs) and right now I am doing american wheats...my latest batch is now ready to drink and is very tasty...it has a bannana hint in the finish!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 01:56 pm:

ey, it is "stupidly cold".

you say to the bar tender or waiter:

"Eu quero uma brahma stupidamente gelada".

it comes in a large mug which has been kept inside a frig and the beer is also very cold...in 110 humid heat it is stupidly good.

btw, bubba's beer is very good indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 02:32 pm:

My favorite beer on a hot day, preferably at the ballpark, is a Hefeweizen with a lemon. The best that I've found 'round these parts is Drake's, but I'm sure that there must be much better out there; especially imports from Germany.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:26 pm:

try the Sudwerks one. They are in Davis. They have a brewery/restuarant as well. it's good stuff. actually the gordon biersch heffy is nice too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:54 pm:

rff, that was one of my old haunts at ucd!! Still make it back there for a liter or two occassionally :)
Great spot especially in the spring/summer.
I'm not crazy about their beers, having been to Germany I don't think they even compare. The Hefe is not bad though!

Enjoy Davis!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:46 pm:

Hefe reccomendations for Chris. (Even if you do use a lemon :)

Paulaner Hefe Weisen
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Schneider Weisse
Franziskaner HefeWeisse

Starting with those four would be a good start, there are a ton of good ones out there.... but each and every one of those, are right at the top of the list.

Cheers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:13 pm:

I am so inspired by all this beer talk that I am going out to buy a beer tonight to toast the A's victory over the BoSux. Nice hot day today, perfect for a cold one. I am going to try something I've never tried before, and see if it's any good. I will let you know how it goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 09:51 pm:

It's been cold, cloudy and rainy all day here. But the A's won, so all is well!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 09:54 pm:

I'll drink to that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:17 pm:

Vesuvios, the liquid center of the Beat Movement ... my favorite West Bay bar.

I prefer the Bitters from the North of England (John Smith's etc.) and the Shilling ales from Scotland, absolute nectar. On a hot day I'd rather have a Margarita on the Rocks

Yep, wet and windy in SF today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:05 am:

On a hot day give me a Irish Harp. If ever in Pleasanton visit The Hopyard a great A's beer joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:17 am:

"Yep, wet and windy in SF today."

That was yesterday, and it's the same today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 01:16 pm:

Funny how this topic started out and how it has progessed....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 04:22 pm:

It's my fault. I should not have changed the topic on my own thread.

I think we need a new section for "Food and Beverages"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.