Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Macha sucks thread no. 352!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Macha sucks thread no. 352!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By scottfromoz on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 09:06 pm:

why was Yabu batting....bring in a pinch hitter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 09:41 pm:

I didn't get it either earlier but now that they've brought in Saarloos I'm starting to understand. What is going on with the conditioning of A's pitchers in both the majors and minors? They're dropping like flies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By naomi on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:56 pm:

maybe the manager thought he needed Yabu's arm as a bunch of the Athletics pitchers are illin'...

looks like he (macha) was right to keep him in huh...he got the win.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:24 pm:

Yabu damn near got a hit! :)

Naomi,

I am glad to see you make a nice little quip post, it has wit. Much better than a post intended to ryle folks up.

Beane's worst mistake other than who he traded Huddy for was letting Peterson go in favor of Macha. Just like I see Wash moving on....notice how Ginter's D is looking better thanks to Wash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 12:47 pm:

Speaking of Wash, here's a nice article from the Chron, in case anyone missed it:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/20/SPGO7CS7MR1.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 01:26 pm:

Yeah -- and I didn't like what Wash said about Durazo not being willing to work on his fielding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 01:27 pm:

That was surprisingly blunt -- downright Macha-esque.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 03:18 pm:

Saarloss to the pen, give Yabu a few starts? Anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 09:56 am:

With the tommorrow they've had two days off in five days so they are able to skip Saarloos so that's why he's been able to go to the pen. They need all the help they can get right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:16 pm:

We all know that Macha leaves much to be desired as a firey on the field motivator. What about Larry Bowa. He would fire up this team and he is currently available. If Bowa is unacceptable, then who? Macha is clueless. Did yiu listen to the Macha Show today? Pathetic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:38 pm:

The players ask to change the lineup and Macha promptly does nothing. Get Chavez out of the 3rd spot. He is the worse rally killer in the league.

I have had enough of Macha's do nothing tactics. 8 weeks into the season and he still doesn't see that it is not working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 03:04 pm:

Larry Bowa was a complete joke of a manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 03:11 pm:

Rally killer strikes again. Chavez is so painful to watch. Call Arod and get the name of his shrink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 03:31 pm:

Realistically, what can the A's do with Chavvy this year? I mean, he is completely terrible, horrible, no good, and very bad EVERY DAY. I know the one option that has been suggested and ignored by Macha is moving him down in the order. But he'll stink wherever he bats (and fields, apparently.) But are there any other options -- like a stint on the DL or rehab or ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 05:58 pm:

Since Beane won't take Wash on as manager, if they let Macha go, Lacheman would be a good one for inerim. At least he is alive and kicking and would likely be able to fire this team up. But he can't play for them.

There's also the possibility that Durazo will go on the DL and Dan Johnson will be called up. I mean, if we're going to lose like this and have to watch a boring team to boot, might as well call up as many youngsters as you can, let them get a head start on next year. I'd find watching this display of losing far easier to take with the youngsters up here in place of a few of the veterans. It's time for Beane to admit to plan B ... full rebuild mode. Will we see Johnson in Cleveland tomorrow nite?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 06:02 pm:

"Interim, not inerim, of course." I do occasionally make up words, but that wasn't one of them. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:10 pm:

sactofan, you must have read that book to a youngster. Is it [Alexander?] and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:04 pm:

Eyleenn
Yup- that's the book. I read it to youngers a long time ago! There is a children's theater in Sacramento putting on the play. But I'm afraid that Chavvy is having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:03 pm:

Using Cruz instead of Yabu when the A's still had a realistic chance to win this game with Halladay done after seven is worth bumping this thread. Take a bow Ken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By snax on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:13 pm:

Cruz sucks. What's the deal with that guy? Although Yabu can't seem to get out of the mess Cruz started either. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By snax on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:14 pm:

I take that back. Yabu got out ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 11:06 pm:

Yup, and Cruz got lots of help from his friends too. Hatteberg and Swisher. I suspect DJ gets that grounder to Hattey's right, which started it all. Swisher made sure the Jays went onto bigger and better things, with yet another dive, playing a single into an extra base hit; he is getting horrible reads on those balls. As I said elsewhere, if DJ can't cut it up here, they would be wise to move Swisher to first base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 12:19 am:

While I think DJ in the short time I've seen him looks to be a little bit better than Hatty in the field and I agree that Johnson should be playing full time at lb, I don't think you can bag on Hatteberg for that seeing eye grounder. Swisher is another story with the ill advised dive. He's young, he'll improve on D.

The fundamental problem with tonite's game was again our Manager's poor decision (as YC stated) to go with Cruz as opposed to just about anyone else in our pen.

I really believe for the A's to get over any kind of hump they've got to get themselves a real Manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 08:19 am:

actually, i think that if the A's are going to get over any kind of hump, they need Cruz's headtrips to receed, and for him to be a key component in the pen.

ok, i've refrained from saying it, because frankly I don't have a strong opinion about Macha, but i think it is sooooo easy for fans to be armchair generals, and i also think the moment by moment game reasoning and decision making at the big league level are way over the heads of most all fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 09:05 am:

i think they should start using cruz like they did mike nen a few years ago - no pressure situations only. the guy has clearly shown he can't get it together. last night was disgusting. thank goodness yabu seems to have his composure together a bit better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 11:20 am:

I'm not criticizing Hatteberg; he does well with the tools and abilities he has. I am just, in effect, saying Macha should have DJ at 1b and Hatteberg at DH everyday.

I have been totally unimpressed with Swisher as an outfielder. He is too much like Byrnes in that he does not read balls well and takes poor routes. Not just his diving, but I cringe everytime I see him go back on a ball. Defensively he is much better suited for 1b. Too bad we've got too many of those types in the system. Though I think Swisher would be a terrific first baseman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 02:00 pm:

I think Macha has very little input on who plays where on this team. He may have an opinion but I doubt he does what he wants to do with the lineup.

The point is that Billy Beane's field managers have really two roles, both in ongoing game decisions. The pitching changes (when to take out starter and who to bring in relief) to hold or close....or fold.

The other role is the pinch hitting decisions and for that he is supposed to get help from the bench for the match-ups etc...

I don't think you have to be a baseball genius to notice Macha falls short on both counts.

The lineups and decisions of who plays where and who sits is basically Beane's and not Macha's. This is how it was with Howe and how it is with Macha. And any field manager that will come after will have to live with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 10:01 pm:

Mychael Urban was on Marty Lurie's show today and they talked about why Cruz and Thomas are still with the A's instead of at AAA. They agreed that it's because of Billy's ego. He can't have it look like the Hudson trade was a complete bust.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.