Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Giants Attendance

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Giants Attendance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 08:02 am:

If you look at attendance from 2000, the A's attendance has gone up, stalled last year and dropped a bit this year.

For the Giants, the trend has been down down down.

They had been averaging 40 K per game but now it is done to 38 K. Thats still better than us but again I would be disturbed if I was a Giants fan by the downward trend. Actually, I would be stupid if I was a Giants but thats a different conversation.

(No offense to any Giants fan just trying to stir it up)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:07 am:

I would be even more curious to see actual attendance stats for the Giants vs. tickets sold. They have high ticket sales due to the huge season ticket holder base, but I have heard from many people who've gone to SBC that it has looked 1/2 full at several points in the season. Barry being out plus poor on-field performance is driving actual attendance down, no doubt. I guess we'll see over the next few years if season ticket renewals decline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:25 pm:

They should not decline to much as Peter the Great is holding the All Star game over their heads. I heard that you must have ST's from now to then to get an AS game ticket....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

Yeah, ain't it moving how Selig and Co. are always playing Santa and Guardian Angel to the team with the "jewell by the bay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:20 pm:

As long as there is SBC Park, SF will always draw well. They may not sell out like they did the first few years playing at SBC but I don't see the attendance dropping off that much even if the team isn't a playoff contender.

SF and pretty much the bay area is a event driven or need to be seen place and if you got a new park, you'll attract those extra 10k-15k.

I think it's known that the A's will never do as well at the Mac with it the way it is than they did back in the late 80s/early 90s when the colisum was the place to be and was considered one of the very best baseball parks in MLB.

Even the past 5 years of winning, the A's couldn't even come close to the 2.9 record the team set here in Oakland during the 90 season.

A new park is the only way the A's get close o 3 million and having their luxary boxes sold out for most of the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 06:17 pm:

...a World Series title in 89 also helped a bit with the 2.9M in 90. We haven't had one since, which hurts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 07:57 pm:

Look at SF and their attendance. Even when they won for an extended period, they never drew well at the stick because it wasn't a place to be.

From 86-90, SF finished over .500 every year yet they didn't draw over 2 million until the 89 WS year and they barely drew over 2 million with 50k over the mark.

From 97-99, they yet again finished over .500 every year and even made it to the playoffs in 97 yet they couldn't draw over 2 million until the last year of the stick and even then, like with the 89 WS year, they barely drew over 2 million in the LAST YEAR of the Stick!

The A's can outdraw or come close to what SF gets for their games. History has shown that the A's almost routinely outdrew SF for most of their 30 years here before SBC opened. You get the A's a new park, you get the fringe fans to come to see the A's play and you won't get them going to the Mac anytime soon.

The A's need a new park and to those who think the Mac is good enough to satisfy the A's need for a park in terms of boxes and seat capacity, repeat that statement 10 years from now because I don't think the A's will be playing at the Mac in 2014. They'll either be playing in a new park somewhere in Oakland or they'll move out of the area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:23 pm:

i like the area around the mac but to me if you want the casual fan you have got to build it around water with a view of san fran the bay NOT oakland, even sbc has no center view of dt area, you have got to have a view of sail boats ect... bay bridge , sbc is a very fun place to watch a game even on 3rd deck it was nice to see so many sail boats on the bay and have such a great view, most here if they get thier bias out will have to admit sbc is an awsome park so we need to have something close a place where even if the A's are blown out it is fun just to be there.

i love the coliseum but in reality you need more then just a prk to draw fans and to draw away from people going to Giant games, you got to have a reason to go to games more then baseball its the 2000's and the Giants have the reason its a happening place to be there with Mo Mo's and other resaraunts, if you build on the parking lot you get the generic venue of concrete and even haginburger is not apealling no matter how much $$$ you put in the area the new stadium has to be on water period this is what the bay is all about, i think Wolff realizes this now toooo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:02 am:

Sacto, how about a period once in a while?

Actually, I agree with your points.
#1 you need a winner, and #2 you need a ballpark with frills. After this, a real radio station would help, and eventually a tv network.

The frustrating this is, the A's go do something so much BETTER than SBC, they could create so much interest, that what the Giants have wouldn't even compare. Oakland already has better weather. The A's have a more winning tradition. You could have a stadium with even better views, if that's what people demand. You could undercut the giants on beer prices, and build an actual parking lot that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. You could have an area around the stadium that included sports bars, restaurants, shops, etc., and a place people would even visit on non-game days.

These things are all possible, hopefully Wolff & Co exploit the opportunity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 03:39 pm:

A pro east bay sports radio station would do wonders for this area.

I mean I'm tired of listening to the same old crap from basically two sports stations here in the bay area, both which aren't friendly to most east bay sports team including the W's. How many times do you see 1050 carrying W games because 680 doesn't want to disturb it's regular programming for the W's.

Watch, if the W's start playing well next year and make a serious run at the playoffs, I'd bet 680 will be carry all their games.

Hell, they already put the more popular games on 680 when the W's face high profile teams like the Lakers, Kings, and etc.

It's pathetic that some east bay group can start up a sports radio station that is pro A's, Raiders, and Warriors. Hell, I'm not a Raider fan but I still would like to see this area be fair to both sides of the fan aisle.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.