Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Dotel DL'ed

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Dotel DL'ed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 01:14 pm:

Clark brought up, retroactive to Tuesday, May 17.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 02:36 pm:

J. Clark, again? Why? They didn't use last time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 03:39 pm:

"J.Clark, again? Why?"

Simple. Interleague play combined perhaps with still some question on Kielty's ribs, as well. Close game (do we play anything else?) and you want to leave the pitcher in, maybe they need to ph Durazo for a position player ... ie: Scutaro in certain situations or Durazo hits for pitcher and gets on. Clark can play infield/outfield and has speed on the bases. In short, more versatility in the NL parks. It's just a band-aid for that purpose.

There will be several more moves over the next few weeks, not the least of which will involve Crosby's and Swisher's return.

The worst part about Dotel being injured is it will slow up any process to deal him. They may not get a whole lot for him, but whichever team wants him (Mets, Braves, maybe Cubs if they get back in the race), Beane just says, "you want Dotel? You take Hatteberg too." Ramon/T.Long type deal only without a Kotsay in return. I suppose there's the outside chance the Astros could have interest in Hatteberg, since it appears Bagwell may be lost for the season. Heck he might even be able to poke a few out in their park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 04:54 pm:

I'm going to qualify my comments first by saying I'm a Hatty fan thru and thru.

If any dealing is to be done, I would rather see Ruby go than Hatty and then have the A's choose between Cust and DJohnson for Ruby's replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 05:11 pm:

Renobill - I agree with you completely. I'm a big Hatte fan and would trade Durazo before I traded him. And I would bring Johnson up to take Ruby's spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 06:34 pm:

I think Hatteberg is more than just a player to Billy. It is my understanding Beane wants him to step right from the field into the GM's office as an assistent. So I doubt he'll be traded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 06:35 pm:

dj- still some question on Kielty's ribs? He is starting tonight in right and batting 5th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 06:38 pm:

It would be a big mistake to keep Hatteburg instead of Ruby. Ruby is a much better hitter and has a much greater upside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 07:17 pm:

Threepeat - my only argument on that would be that Durazo most likely won't be here next year anyway....and you're right....there is more upside to him and he'd be more attractive in a trade then Hatte.....thus netting us a better player(s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 12:08 am:

Front Office?........Shit make him the Hitting Instructor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 08:08 am:

The Byrnes debate rages on, while the player who
was least wanted by fans....Kielty is tearing it
up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 03:17 pm:

is Dotel going in the DL necessarily a bad thing? I'd love to see what Street can do. If he impresses, bye-bye Dotel, bye-bye contract, and hello to some help on the cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beaneball on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 05:05 pm:

I agree about Dotel, this might be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully Street takes the job and runs with it. As for Durazo, I just don't see this great upside. He can't run, can't play the field, all he is great at is taking walks and watching strike three looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 05:14 pm:

beaneball, you forgot how well he swings at those low and outside pitches with his short arms.

The downside of Dotel's going on the DL is that it may limit his trade value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 09:44 pm:

That's a good point, Eyleenn. Although with so many closers getting hurt this year (Gagne, Mota, Percival, Borowski, Tsao, Benitez, Izzy, etc.) there may be a bigger market than normal, and we all know how BB loves to exploit market inefficiencies to the team's advantage.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.