Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Morgan and Miller

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Morgan and Miller
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:22 pm:

Here I am trying to watch a game, and instead of discussing what's on the field, Morgan and Miller interview McGowan on how Bonds is doing..ugh! Nothing like un-biased sports commentators like Miller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:24 pm:

Well Morgan's comment tonight about the Giants having the best tradition in baseball second only to the Yankees proves his bias and ignorance. How about the Cardinals, Dodgers and even the A's first before the giants? When did Morgan become such a giants apologist anyway??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:35 pm:

Maybe Morgan feels that if he sucks up enough to Magowan he'll get a statue too...

that place is starting to look like a cemetary at a third world country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:41 pm:

I turned it off..I could not take their dribble any longer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:03 am:

Here is the views from the Blez and AN:

http://www.athleticsnation.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:02 pm:

Just more SF bias crap.

Was listening to KNBR just a few minutes before the 7 PM hour and heard Ralph say how the A's leaving Oakland probably would create the least amout of disent from teh fanbase and city!

I actually heard A's fans call up and agree with him.

This is why the A's and really the east bay sports teams really need their own sportstaiton here because we are so downgraded by the pro SF media in print, tv, and radio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:08 pm:

I heard that, too. One caller said he "altruistically" wished the A's would move so they could make more money and keep their stars. Of course this was someone who admitted he doesn't go to games anyway. He called the A's approach "bottom line baseball."

Ralph also said that Vegas was definitely going to get a team --which ever team is ready first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:44 pm:

Ralph still thinks the Giants were going to come back in 89...He is such a putz that he had to use a seroget to have a kid because woman would sleep with him!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 08:26 am:

Well, all these A's fans who so "altruistically" wish the A's would move have either jumped on the San Jose ballpark booster's bandwagon or don't really care where the team goes because they follow the team on mlb.com or on tv...

People forget that San Jose/Santa Clara AND San Francisco did a lot of talking about public funding a ballpark for the Giants but when the time came to do the walking...nada...they voted it down and the Giants were gone were it not for Selig/Reinsdorf 11th hour rescue.

Selig forced Lurie to lower his selling price, by leaving in some of his own money (much like Schott did now with the A's) and put Magowan as the front man with heavy deep pockets behind him. (again much like what the situation is now with Wolff and the A's).

To be honest. Even though Wolff has been saying all the right things, I can't say I trust or believe him.

I'm sorry to say that I have no trust in Selig and his clan (which now I include Wolff).
I hope to God I'm wrong but in over 100 years of history there's been only deceit and extortion from the part of owners and players. They are all feathers of the same ugly money bird. They use the game people have the passion to devote a good part of their lives to for to their personal gain, giving very little in return.

I have to see it to believe it... and all the wishful and positive thinking in the world will make a difference in the fate of the A's in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 09:54 am:

Funny, many A's fans were actually upset when all the rumors were swirling that the Giants were headed to St. Pete in the early 90's.
Now that it's the other way around, the Giants camp is gleeful at the thought of the A's moving. And the funny thing is, they even seem like it would make them happy if the A's moved to San Jose.

I guess if you're an SF person, you hate San Jose less than you hate Oakland?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 03:33 pm:

Ralph is spewing this crap aroung again today.

I would just love to call in and bust him in the mouth on how nobody a decade ago really cared that the SF might lose their team and that it took MLB owners to save the team from now going to St. Petersburg.

There's a reason why no true blue OAKLAND A'S fans listen to KNBR on a regular basis and calls in because of this type of crap you hear on the radio.

If the city of Oakland actually had a mayor who cared about the sports teams, then we might have a chance if there really is a conspiracy going on with Wolff and Selig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 04:21 pm:

I just tune into 910AM during the hours in which Ralphy is spewing his cutting edege (Must be why they call him The Razor) garbage!

Also I must say and I do not no why anyone has not said anything before but The Ball Dudes at SBC are pathetic! I have nothing against old people I hope I get to be one someday but it is really really sad to see this old grandfather get knocked on his ass by a screaming fouled liner over and over again! I mean heck I thought I do not want to see the old guy killed on TV while taking a screaming fouled liner between the eyes off Durazo's bat!

Time to go watch the A's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 04:23 pm:

The only reason why there is old guys as the ballboys is the entertainment value of watching them fall flat on their face so the white collar crowds at SBC has something to look forward to.

Plus, it gives the bad comedians known as Krup and Kuip more ammunition to make bad jokes after they replay it over and over and over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 06:51 pm:

A friend of mine was listening to the blabbermouth, J.T. The Brick.(I refuse to) He was going on on about SBC Park, saying what great fans they are there, and how "intimite"(he actually used that word) the place and people were...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

JT also says that for the A's to survive in Oakland, they NEED to build a waterfront park but says we have the worst politicians running the city.

He isn't too far off based since he did live here in the bay area for a few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 08:08 pm:

They used to say S.F. had the worst politicians in the nation re: sports until Peter Magowan & Co. (with Selig's godfathering hand) fully committed to San Francisco long before the new ballpark got off the ground.

My point is that good ownership offsets a lot of things, including politicians. Hopefully, Wolff will provide that good ownership. We'll see.

As for Oakland politicians, back in 2002 many of them (including City Manager Robert Bobb and City Council members Jane Brunner, Larry Reid and Dick Spees) were willing bravely and intelligently to stick their neck out and offer the Uptown site to Steve Schott and the A's. Instead of taking that great opportunity, Schott's silence was deafening. That failure to capitalize then on that site was way more Schott's fault than any politician's. And hey, Bobb's risk on the A's and Schott's behalf only cost Bobb and other city staff members their jobs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:46 pm:

The thing that scares me is Wolff is friends with Selig and we all know that Selig would like to see the A's leave the bay area so SF can have the 4th biggest media market to itself.

The only place that seems logical is Las Vegas and you know MLB is looking to place a club there and the the main candidates are the A's and Marlins since both are looking for a new stadium but lets get real. The Marlins aren't going to move 2500+ miles west to LV with the A's just a hour plane ride from the city.

I really want to know what's up with Wolff because there's something in the back of my mind that makes me uncomfortable with him as the owner, or at least the managing partner.

I think it would help if the city of Oakland had a pro sports mayor but Brown isn't that leader and I'm just scared that under his watch that he'll pay more attention to the housing scenerio than with the sports teams in the bay area.

Oakland is one of the very few cities to have 3 major sports teams here and you could honestly make an argument that a decade from now, the Warriors will be the only team left here and they don't even recognize that they are an Oakland team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:21 pm:

Wolff may be saying all the right things in public, but he has yet to earn our trust or spend any money to signify his commitment to the fans or to the city of Oakland.

Another thing that scares me is that now that Billy owns part of the team, anything that enhances its value -- like moving into a new stadium in Vegas -- enhances his financial position. I hate to say it, but I don't trust him either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:53 am:

Looking at the cities that need to build a new park for their baseball teams:Miami, Oakland, and Minnesota; count LV in there if you want.

I think LV has the best shot at building a new park first than those other 3 cities that still use a multi purpose stadium for both their baseball and football teams.

The city of Oakland needs the A's. They have been the heart and soul of the civic community for the past 35 years and if you lose the A's, the city isn't getting another baseball team again so you lose a huge chunk of history to the city.

What does Oakland offer from April to September in terms of civic activities to attend. I don't want the city of Oakland to be that huge "subarb" of SF just east of the bay because it doesn't have any sports teams which I think a MLB team gives any city a great calling card in terms of making it a legit big time city. If you don't have a MLB team, I think many don't know where you are on the map. Again, the A's and Raiders both could leave the city the next decade. The A's could do what the Colts did to Baltimore by leaving without many noticing in the night and who knows what the hell Davis will do with the Raiders. The east bay especially the city of Oakland as its capital is known for it's sport teams and if you lose two of them, the area will be devestated.

With the A's, the city has garnered great acclaim with 4 world titles yet are treated like second class citizens when the Raiders came back and ruined the coliseum and even teh W's getting a renovated arena.

The A's have stood by and have done very little and you can say that the previous ownership played a major role in not getting any new talks of a new park build inside of the Oakland city limits; but I also blame Brown for not put the extra effort in getting the past ownership involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 09:57 pm:

So I just got back from Vegas today (work related trip)...

Who the HELL would want to either play in Vegas, or sit thru 3 hours of a game in vegas????

It was 105 during the day, and 95 at night.....The city is huge (I think there are close to 2million residents), but the weather is HORRIBLE!

The only way baseball will work in vegas, is if they switch the season to October-April...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:30 pm:

Or an indoor stadium; they sure as hell have enough money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:14 pm:

Yeah, look at Arizona. LV would build a retractable roof park.

I think MLB wants a team in LV, just scared that the A's are #1 on their list for a team to move there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:13 am:

back to Joe Morgan....

he's got a column today, rightly saying Cuba should be part of the new World Baseball Classic. Then he blows it big time with the following concluding paragraph:

>I look forward to seeing all the
>international stars playing America's great
>national pastime next March. Wouldn't it be
>great to see Cuba's best pitcher facing Barry
>Bonds with the championship game on the line?

You can't send him email directly, but he has an upcoming 'chat' on Friday morning, and they let you submit questions/comments in advance. I wrote him about Bonds, saying how can he want the US rep in that situation to be a, "headed-for-jail perjuring drug cheat." Later I added would he have wanted Ty Cobb to be our representative in an earlier era?

It got me to thinking about the arc of African-American dominance of US baseball, and how Bonds really is the end of that era. Morgan can't be happy about that demographic change...

Who would you want to see in that imaginary at-bat??? Who is currently the best African-American position player in baseball?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:04 am:

Rickey Henderson, bar none! Second, Tony Gwynn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:50 pm:

lil, he said who IS the best AA position player in baseball, not was. So Gwynn can't be considered. Rickey, although was one of the best, is of course far from that now with the Surf Dawgs (who open tonight at SDSU by the way! http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=schwarz_alan&id=2068703)

Anyway, it's an interesting topic and if you limit it to African American, it really narrows down the field. Sheffield has to be in there.
Andruw Jones. Maybe Griffey. Not many to choose from!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 04:10 pm:

sheffield is roided

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 06:15 am:

isn't Andruw Jones from some Carribean island?

---

geez, it really is amazing, isn't it? i mean even before Jackie Robinson, if you could unbaisedly choose who you'd want in that at bat, for most of the twentieth century the answer would be various African Americans...right thru to Bonds if you ignore his baggage (which i don't).

ok, what US citizen of any race should be at the plate in the situation Morgan describes [remember this is a potentially real game in March, 2006 - although i question whether the US would be in the championship, and whether the opponent would be Cuba, even if allowed to play]?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 09:07 am:

Tuffy Rhodes

http://www.giants.jp/pts/pictures/img1081.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 03:04 pm:

jeffery, you might be right about Jones' origins.

BTW, RICKEY was 2 for 3 last night with a SB and a run scored in his Surf Dawg debut! :) :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 05:32 pm:

Andruw Jones is from Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:59 pm:

ok, so this question has been bugging me...

[what US born (citizen?) batter do you want to be at the plate at the most critical moment in the upcoming World Baseball Classic to be held next March]

and my answer is....

A-Rod.

Got a better answer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 04:49 am:

Eric Byrnes...ha...just kiddin...

well, I think it would have to be US born or citizen which is the rule in World competitions.

Well, eliminating the possible roid induced talent around...and because based on the fact this particular player most likely has not been on roids given the normal numbers of homeruns for a 1B power hitter...I would take, today...

Derrek Lee of the Cubs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 06:49 am:

i donno 'bout Derreck Lee, but even though i started this rant about Bonds, and his notoriety as a juicer, i think the juice culture went way further in the Bigs than most will acknowledge or think about, and that a blanket anti-juice prohibition would lead to a forfeit in this anticipated at-bat.

Check out this quote from Eric Chavez today, talking about his slump still, even though he hit a GS last night:

"This park sucks. It's gotten worse (for hitting balls out), I don't know how,'' said Chavez, who has five of the team's major-league low 30 homers. "It used to jet out to left center, and it seemed like even that one the field wanted to bring it back. It was a big park anyway; now it's borderline ridiculous.''

The park hasn't changed Eric, not since Mt. Davis was built, anyway.

What has changed???

Juice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 07:06 am:

You're saying Chavez was juicing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 08:15 am:

i hadn't thought it previously, but it's another possible explanation for his fall off. Plenty of guys around the Bigs, with all kinds of body shapes, are not having the year they've had in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:20 am:

"Eric Byrnes...ha...just kiddin..."

Only if the situation calls for a pop-up or strikeout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:51 am:

Chavey is an ass! If the Coli is his excuse for not hitting homers, then why is it that three of the five measly dingers he has hit were at home? He has hit only two on the road. I guess his problem is all parks suck. He needs to get a big tube of superglue and put it on his lips to keep his stupidity from leaking out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 10:06 am:

Chavy has the same body he came up with he is strong but does not appear to be juiced. Another contributing factor is the cooler weather/ maritime layer and wind. The ball does travel better in warmer, dryer weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 05:09 pm:

jeter. hate the man because he's so damn good. hate him. but he's the one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 05:17 pm:

i donno. maybe it's just the power of suggestion, but doesn't Chavey look a little smaller this year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 05:27 pm:

A-Rod's having a better year than Jeter, and he's a year younger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 08:02 pm:

When I read that quote from Chavez, my mouth dropped open. Inexcusable stupidity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:43 pm:

a-rod is all about himself. jeter's a team player. i want the team player.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 03:55 am:

Chavez and roids? I doubt it. It's not like Chavez was hitting 40+ hrs anytime during his career.

He probably will always be a 30 hr guy during the prime of his career.

I think the reason why he's slumping is because of the pressure of being the man here in terms of being looked upon as the great power hitter in this powerless lineup. Chavez had his best years when he was asked to be the 3rd or even going back to the 2001 season where he had career highs in RBIs, batting average, and was only 2 short of his career high in hrs which he set the very next year.

I don't know if it's Chavez laid back SD roots or what but I doubt it's because he's not on the juice anymore. I think many A's insiders thought Chavez had the potential to be the best player from the Giambi/Tejada/Grieve core. Although that may not be true with Tejada becoming one of the best players in baseball the past few years, I still don't think Chavez will play as bad as he had this year in following years.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.