Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Everybody that pitches against the A's is Cy Young reincarnated!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Everybody that pitches against the A's is Cy Young reincarnated!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:25 pm:

DAMMIT!
Lowery is the WORST, but the A's can do nothing aginst him.
This story is getting old!
Bring up the AAA guys, send our guys down! Shake it up! Have some gonads Billy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:18 pm:

This team has the A's fans upset, but Bill Beane
is happy!!

So why, exactly, is Beane happy?

"It's fun to be creative, to give guys chances," he said in a telephone interview. "I like the challenge. I don't want to say, 'Woe is us,' because of the injuries. After each injury, I said to Kenny [manager Ken Macha], 'This is an opportunity to find things out.'

"I find it incredibly stimulating at times like this. In a weird way, it can be healthy, if that's not an oxymoron. It gives you creative license to do and try things we haven't been able to try. This has been a very stimulating year for me. I like trying to re-create and rebuild."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2002283752&zsection_id=2002119994&slug=ston22&date=20050522

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:38 pm:

Does he think this is freaking fantasy baseball???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:40 pm:

The Beane's A'S are shit! F@@@ Beane! Why do we continue to support the A's? My opinion - we're fools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:51 pm:

The Emporer has no clothes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:30 pm:

Indeed...and he keeps being told by his court how beautiful he looks in his suit'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:38 pm:

Again, I doubt most A's fans thought that Kendall, Chavez, Brynes, and Durazo would've played medicore for the first two months of the season.

Byrnes:.261, 4 hrs, 11 RBIs.
Durazo:.250, 4 hrs, 16 RBIs.
Kendall:.220, 0 hrs, 15 RBIs.
Chavez:.212, 4 hrs, 18 RBIs.

Add to that you losing one of your best RH bats in Crosby and losing Swisher; I won't blame Beane entirely for this mess offensivly but if he still doesn't think that playing smallball isn't a good idea. That's where I have issues with him.

Trying to play powerball with this lineup won't work and if it takes a poorous offensive season to get that into Beane's head, then sobeit. Hopefully he learns from this season and decides to change his moneyball approach a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:39 pm:

Maybe Sacto is right??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:57 pm:

The A's have a bad teams in the past but this offense is not only one of worst in the last 30 years it's !@#$%^&* boring too. It would be great to unload some of these stiffs and the manager too, unfortunately there are Federal laws against transporting toxic waste across state lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 09:11 pm:

Creative juices my ass, he's tranformed a team that missed the playoffs by one game into a team on course for a 98 game loss season; something he'd said was the one thing he strived to avoid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 09:26 pm:

ok now everyone is talkin hey this is the worst most boring A's team since i have been following them in 74, even in 78 79 they stole bases and had a young Rickey but this team does nothing right its a shitless team.

i was at friday's and sat games , so embarrasing this team is and tell me why does Macha bats kendall 3rd when he is hitten shit and so dam slow on base a sure dp inn killer?

gotta wonder if this team was sabatoged to move? fans will drop like flies nothing worth watchin.

they need to trade Durazo and Ginter and let johnson from sacto play with hatte as DH.

why is thomas still in the big leagues when you can't use him cause he cannnot hit? you got AA guys with more hitten ABILITY.answer: cause it will make Beane look stupid and we don not want to do that or his name won't be on baseball tonight or in SI.

Beane destroyed this franchise people he did ,this team is a joke, we made a horrId pitchin staff look like cy youngs out there we play boring baseballl no hit n runs or steals yet we do not hit HR nothin, the best part of both games was eatin in the club section and seeing USC coach pete carroll at MO Mo's after fridays game.

the energy for the A's is gone the true heart of the team is in baltimore and Atlanta.

F### BILLY BEANE!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 09:37 pm:

Just wondering, what exactly is a "shitless team"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 09:46 pm:

The Enema Within?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 09:49 pm:

A team that can't or wont do shit. Shitless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 10:02 pm:

Ginter may have spent time working with Wash, but obviously it's not enough. 2 errors, yuck.

The only silver lining is that Zito pitched a hell of a game. I am TIRED of looking for silver linings in these garbage games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 01:11 am:

if your tired now better get some sleep it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:39 am:

There are errors, and then there are errors. Ginter's were of the little league variety, two
of the easiest plays to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:18 am:

Its obvious BB is using this year as an audition year. I just wish he would give more of a hint that thats what he is doing...A's fans would enjoy this year much more and have fun going through the process of finding next years team(at least I would). Wolff will put us in the free agent bid this year and we'll have some new stars on the team as well as those who pass the test this year. Swischer, Crosby, Chavez, Johnson, Kotsay, Harden, Street...plus some new big bats and some good arms...we'll be alright...DONT GIVE UP!!! I think BB is relaxed and cool with everything right now because he has a MASTER PLAN. You'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:06 pm:

>>> Wolff will put us in the free agent bid this year<<<

The basis for this is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:44 pm:

Good question Rocket...i would ike to know why all of a sudden this team will be a player in FA market on the buying not selling side!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:22 pm:

i just belatedly read this:

>It would be great to unload some of these
>stiffs and the manager too, unfortunately there
>are Federal laws against transporting toxic
>waste across state lines.

...and nearly busted a gut! so, ron, tell us what you really think! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 04:44 pm:

Well, it seems there is a new dimension to add to this thread. Every team that hits against us is composed of a bunch of Ted Williams clones. Out pitching just stinks lately (with some exceptions, of course.)

5 runs and no outs for Blanton. UGH!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:36 pm:

Okay, here I go with my conspiracy theory. BB depleted the team, gives em fodder to move, then the a's move to another west coast locale (which is fine by BB) and adios oakland.

BB's not 100% stupid. He doesn't want ownership shares on a bad team. A's move to a market that supports them (sorry, a's fans this market doesn't support them) they become competitive and their franchise value appreciates.

Here's the key issue: we must play for the NOW b/c our situation in oakland is far too precarious to fuck around.

Everyone seems to forget that the ownership change was right after we deal 2 of the big 3. Cooincidence my keister.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:54 pm:

if the A's tank no new stadium period= vegas baby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:42 pm:

No way...

Most of the teams that got new stadiums had losing season and used that as the excuse to build one so they could become competitive.

And I have to disagree about Billy not wanting to stay in Oakland. Billy brought a group to buy the team that would keep the team in Oakland and build a new park but Selig nixed the deal.

c'mon guys, you may get angry at Billy for this fiasco but go easy on the guy's character. He is good guy and he loves this organization just like the rest of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:08 pm:

Sometimes it's hard to keep the faith.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:18 pm:

yeah, but from my view his deals have ruined this season...and, in terms of sports, all i got is baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 09:33 pm:

I for one am keeping the faith.
I still think Beane is an excellent GM.
Yes we are having a pathetic year so far, but this is after 5 good ones!
Part of it is missing Huddy & Mulder, but let's face it, with the way this offense is hitting, even those guys wouldn't be winning many games. I agree with lil, this is a .500 team that caught the injury bug. If EVERYTHING went right and we had a couple of surprise years, we would have been lucky to win 85 games. With all the injuries and the non-hitting Chavez and barely alive Durazo, this is what you get. How is that all Beane's fault?

We have a great shot at putting together a dynasty starting in 06. While teams like the giants went for free agents, this team is not built to just fall into a hole for several years. It sucks that we have to put up with a crap year like this, but we weren't going to the playoffs anyway, so why act so stunned?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samk on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:15 pm:

And the basis for a possible dynasty is what? We assume that our youngins will truly develop into the next Tejada, Giambi,. Mulder and Hudson. All this remains to be seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:34 am:

There are no guarantees. The only thing you can do is put yourself in the best possible position to succeed for the longest possible time. That's what BB has tried to do. We didn't go to the playoffs with the Big Three last year, we didn't really deserve to go in 2003, so we probably wouldn't have this year either.

This franchise cannot afford another 4-5 year losing period like it went through in the mid-90's. By doing what he did he sacrificed some short term W's, but put the franchise in the best possible position to have a minimal rebuilding time and prolonged success for years to come. It might work, it might not. But this is our best bet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:04 am:

I second that, Big3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 05:30 am:

I third that big3...

with one added thing here...I believe Billy is extremely bright and will make the adjustments he needs to make so that in his next run he won't repeat the mistakes that led to the failed post season attempts. Perhaps with the new ownership he may be able to succeed where he fell short before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 06:34 am:

Big3, I can't agree more.

I feel the same way - we really shouldn't have been in the post in 2003 (seattle's implosion etc) and last year we were barely in it and the fact that Mulder single handedly could have pushed us into the playoffs is a weak thing.

We knew we could be bad this year - we aren't THIS bad - we are THIS bad now cause the guys are simply not playing. By the time they get on track, we'll be too far behind to get anything done. Then we'll trade off the guys who need to be traded, completing this tranformation. Hopefully, next year the younger guys will have had some seasoning and we can then look forward to a "better" season and then great ones after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:00 am:

i also agree Beane is a good guy. But as I look back at the say...10 year history of the A's, I can't help but wonder how much of his "genius" has gone to be the GM of the Dodgers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:05 am:

And the Dodgers have done what since Depodesta arrived?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:38 am:

made a lot of big moves, the results of which..the jury is still out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:21 am:

Very true, but if anything, BB has done more to earn our patience than DePo, so let's at least afford him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samk on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:46 am:

OK. Y'all talked me into it. I do still hope that Beane can get us back to contention sooner rather than later and on paper, the Muldson trades looked good in ST.

It's just that they look awful right now. Hopefully in 2 years they look better than the McGwire trade turned out.

I still question wither Macha is the best man for the job. I havent seen anything to tell me he is getting the best from his players. This has to do with helping them straighten out their collective heads. The manager sets the tone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:58 am:

Well, I have to agree with Jeff in that Billy lost some very valuable assistants, DePod being the most important. He has also lost Ricciardi and Grady Fuson who were very good advisers and excellent baseball men.

I don't have the blind faith some fans demonstrate here, but I do have confidence in Billy's ability to learn from mistakes of the past and to move the franchise in the right direction. I wouldn't want the A's in the hands of any other GM, for sure. I just wish he could let a good baseball guy like Washington be the field manager without putting in on a short leach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:42 pm:

Isn't Ricciardi the guy who recommended the Mets' deal which brought Isringhausen? Uhh, he may also have had much to do with the TLong deal, but Long did give us at least one good year. I think Ricciardi and Fuson were indeed guys who had tremendous input into some of the better deals.

Getting back to the thread title. If the A's were able to deal Blanton right now, and the A's faced him, he would likely not only get his first win but his first shutout. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:16 pm:

I'm not sure if Ricciardi was the guy who recommended TLong, but I remember that Beane was very close friends with the Mets GM and and I credit Billy for swapping closers...Billy sent Billy Taylor to the Mets and got Izzy who went on to 33 saves and many heart attacks in Oakland. At the time people said that trade was facilitated by Valentine who made the statement that he was reluctant to use Izzy because it was like "using an Indy race car as a taxi".

I never really understood what that was suppose to mean but Izzy didn't like it.

PS: nice to see you dj :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 03:05 pm:

Taylor for Isringhausen, now there was a great deal. Taylor didn't even make the Mets postseason roster that year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 03:12 pm:

Hey DJ,
Glad to see you are posting again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:23 pm:

The Dodgers are on the verge of being swept by the boys of Halloween.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 06:45 pm:

So i've been doing some mental gymnastics with myself over the question of how good Billy Beane is. I made an obvious overstatement, to say that DePodosta is the entire source of his success.

And his comments like, 'let's see what this team looks like after people come back from injuries' are fine...i mean, (a) it deflects from having to admit this is a re-building year, which is only good PR; and (b) there HAVE been a lot of key injuries, and the team would not be nearly as bad if it had a healthy Crosby, Harden and Calero, just to name the most obvious.

On the other hand, things like getting swept by Tampa Bay, and having a Pittsburgh fan come in here to gloat, are not exactly fun indicias.

I donno. I think we're all coming down from the "In Billy We Trust" high, and have a hangover from it. Here's a question for lil, or anyone who can remember... Think back to the last season ticket holder "First Pitch" to be held in the West Side Club, prior to them moving it to the Paramount Theater. Was DePodosta working for the A's at that point? I can't remember. What i do remember is talking with Billy afterwards, and him be far less guarded than his 'public' comments to the season ticket holders. He told me that if it wasn't for free agency, the team had all the elements of a dynasty that were coming together. It was the off season before they indeed made the playoffs for the first time that year. And my best guess is that was all prior to DePodosta. Can anyone help my infirm memory???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 02:38 pm:

Jeff, if my memory doesn't fail me that was the year Alderson hired Rickey for the 4th time and at the end of that year he left the A's. So that would be 1998.

Alderson left at the end of 98 so Paul DePodesta was not yet with the A's.

In '99 was Beane's first year as GM and came in 2nd. They won the Div in 2000.

So DePod started as assistant GM in '99 when Billy started his GM job.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.