Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Wake up people and smell the coffee

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Wake up people and smell the coffee
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 02:55 pm:

The way I'm seeing it, a lot of our losses have been not due to crappy pitching (which wins games) but some shoddy defense on occasion and moreover a serious underproduction in offense.

I'm not ready to cash this season in yet.

Zito looked really good yesterday, and even in his start where he battled his command against Boston, held in there. Zito has been more often better than good this season, and most of his starts are good quality starts. Harden has been good as well, but he's hurt. Blanton has been a bit shaky, but he is gonna get it together one day. Haren is all over the map, but shows potential. Etherton looked fab last week and Saarloss has been decent for a 5th starter.

The offense has been awful. But there are some bright spots. Byrnes is hitting better. Chavez is picking it up a bit. Kielty has been a nice suprise. Hatty is hitting better. Still, they are all underperforming: Durazo, Ginter, Ellis, even Kotsay a bit. Kendall too.

We have some proven talent on this club. Yes, we are 8 games out, but it's still MAY. Eventually, the guys on this club are going to start doing what they are capable of.

Come on people, we lost 2 of 3 to the Giants this weekend but they didn't exactly thrash us - in fact, we had both of the losses in the bag save a few key mistakes. We took two of three from Boston. We now have 3 with Tampa Bay who are struggling and 3 with Cleveland, also a struggling team. then 3 at home with TB, and 4 with Toronto, who started hot but are showing their true colors now. This could be the week we get back on track!!!

LET'S GO OAKLAND!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

Toronto is not playing badly, much better than
the A's of late. Have taken 2 of 3 from the O's
and 2 of 3 from Washington this month.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/schedule/TOR

If the A's have anything this season, they have
to dominate the DRays, who are perrenial last place in MLB material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:17 pm:

I'm having tea

I love your hope and hope your right.

I will focus on long range progress and not worry about this season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:28 pm:

I didn't expect much this season, I did think the A's could win maybe 82-85 games this year but it looks like that happening is slim now especially if the offense continues to be average the entire season and if Beane does trade a few of the veteran players away.

There has been some good this season even with all the slumps and injuries that have taken place so far these first two months.

-Keitly looks like a player. Could be a good corner OF option for the next few years.

-the pitching although the win/loss records may not show it has been pretty good. They still have a decent ERA and if the offense showed any type of conistancy all year, many of the SP would have much better records then they have currently.

I do think the A's won't do much this season and maybe next year but there are many up and coming players in the A's system that will be up hopefully the next 2-3 seasons and maybe the A's will have another 3-5 year run at the end of this decade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 04:07 pm:

Thew offense has not been average, they are dead last in the AL in scoring runs per game. If the A's had been average on offense, then there would be a little more hope for this season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 04:57 pm:

The A's are in last place, eight games out. They can't hit and they can't catch. This is not the 1980 U.S. Hockey team. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 05:42 pm:

Before the 3 runs scored the last two games in the SF series.

The A's offense has been pretty good since they were shutout in NYC against Brown/Mussina.

I think they averaged 5 runs a game since then. So you predict their run production/offense to be not as bad as it was in the beginning of the season and not as good as the 5 runs per game, I'd say the A's offense would be average.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 06:05 pm:

I think the second half of the season will be much better than what we are seeing now. Will we win anything? No. This is a team that is being rebuilt--and it is being done well so that 2006 should be a great year. What do we have to look forward to?

great pitching--Zito has been much better than his record. He will be around for awhile. The bullpen is solid once everyone is off the DL. Cruz needs a shrink, but has amazing stuff if he can keep his head. Colero is great. And Street. Wow, this guy is something very special. I still don't understand how he went 40th in the draft. We have our closer for many years to come.

The offense will come around. I hope the A's sign Kotsay long-term--he is a leader. Yes, he is slumping now, but good grief, he is trying to carry this dismal offense all by himself. He has to be boiling inside with the lack of help.

I see the new owners putting forth some money off season for a big bat. Hatteburg retires to the front office, Dan Johnson comes up.

Remember, this could be the Pirates or Cinncinnati or Kansas City who are very far from the post-season. I think we are only a year or so away.

And, remember that Mulder is sporting a 3.75 ERA in the National League. He wouldn't have beat the Giants last night, either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 06:24 pm:

Koufax, Catfish, Dave Stewart, etc. probably
would not have beat the Giants last night either.
Let alone Mulder. What Mulder has to do with last
night is beyond me. The A's scored a single run,
so to win... a pitcher would have to throw a shut out.

This money for a big bat from the owner is coming
from what source?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 07:11 pm:

My comment about Mulder has to do with everyone bemoaning the loss of Hudson and Mulder. Neither one has been great with their new teams. I don't think our win column would be a whole lot different with them still here.

The big bat thought has to do with new owners wanting to build a park. There is a lot of money involved here and if the team is not a competitive one, the deal to get a new venue will be that much harder to pull off. Remember, that the Fisher family is hiding behind Lewis Wolf. I think they would like to make a splash--and a little bit of money spent on a free agent will be worth a lot of good will and future income from a new park.

Just a guess on my part--but one I hope comes through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 07:28 pm:

Posters surmised that Schott would do the same
thing to get a new ballpark, but it never happened. Posters surmised the team would sign
two or at least one of the Big 3 to help with
the ballpark effort, and it never happened.

I will believe it when I see it.

I can see Beane trading for a good hitter, that
is on a 2 year or less contract, if he can make
it close to salary nuetral.

Plus Beane needs to sign Kotsay, or look for
a replacement for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 07:50 pm:

oaklandcrazy, I wouldn't say neither Hudson or Mulder aren't doing well with their new teams.

Mulder:6-1 with a 3.71 ERA.
Hudson:4-3 with a 3.47 ERA.

Having both Hudson and Mulder here wouldn't change the win-loss record much. Sure we'd probably have a better record overall by year's end but I still don't see this team making a run at a championship even if they were here.

We didn't even get out of the 1st round when the Big 3 were here for 5 years and I didn't see them making a serious run in the next few years especially when and if we lost Hudson after this year and Mulder next year.

Could the A's have been "competitive" for these two years, yeah, but the A's had their best shot at a WS title from 2000-2003 and they failed miserably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 07:50 pm:

-Kielty playing well allows BB to move Byrnes (frown).
-All we can do is hope Dotel can start pitching well so we can get something good for him in July.
-The offense will come around more - they have to, but it will be too late to do anything of note this year. Which is why I would like to see moves now to prepare us for next year (ie. somehow getting D.Johnson up here if he's the guy next year). If they are keeping Hattey instead of Mongo next year, let's get that done.
-The above is true, our bullpen was VERY good when they were healthy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:03 pm:

The issue with Huddy and Mulder isn't that if we had them we'd be great shakes, but rather, why in the F#@$% did we get so little for them. Premature, yeah, but why not hedge and deal one for a proven stick and one for three prospects.

Please explain to me how the above is a bad strategy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:09 pm:

Proven sticks cost a lot of money. Strategy is
fine, but cash enters the equation for real
GM's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:12 pm:

Name names who the A's could've gotten back in trades.

Haren:has been inconsistant this year but I'd still give him a full year as a starter to make a judgement about him. Remember Mulder's rookie year as full time starter in MLB when he went 9-10 and didn't even look close to the pitcher he became. I think we all got spoiled on how great the Big 3 became so early in their careers. Even Harden looked dominant early in his rookie year but really struggled up until teh second half of last year when he was the A's best pitcher.

Barton:the jury is still out on him but he was one of the very best hitting prospects in the minors so we'll just have to wait and see with him. Hell, he's getting comparsions to Pujols so the guy is highly thought of around the scouts.

Meyer:again, I think he still could make it as a big league SP eventually. Maybe not a top of the rotation kind of guy but a decent #4 or possibly #3 type starter. He was the best pitching prospect from Atl and if you look around the majors, you got many Atl pitching prospects littered all over.

Cruz:still could be used as a valuable piece for the A's whether he be with the A's or in a trade package.

Thomas:so far he's been a huge disapointment. The guy you could say was one of Atl best players down the stretch last year but I still wouldn't call him a downright bust just after two months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:41 pm:

Well they didn't feel reticient about cash when they threw money at hatte, JD post-injury, and Rhodes.

Names: Willy Mo Pena, Furcal, Derek Lee. Throw in Huddy/Mulder and perhaps a prospect (if necessary) and you could swing something. I just went threw a couple of team sites too. I can rattle off names till the sun comes down.

Another question: Why not keep one of them and wait till it came crunch time and sucker a pitching-hungry contender into giving up a stick. I thought BB was the master mind-game manipulator.

Another question: Did mngmt think about the PR nightmare they're cuasing? Why would a casual fan give a hoot about this team? Sabatoge the team, kill the fan base, easy fodder to move the team. As long as their on the west coast bb can handle the move.

A's can't afford another mid-90s run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 08:54 am:

Hatte? he makes peanuts when you look at the
salaries on other teams.
Dye's contract was given when there was not Kendall/Chavez contracts already on the team.
Rhodes contract as well, was not a large contract,
it was just that he stunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 09:42 am:

C Kendall, Melhuse
1b Johnson
2b Scutaro, Ellis
ss Crosby
3b Chavez
LF Herrera, Ginter
CF Kotsay, Thomas
RF Swisher, Kielty
DH Cust

Harden, Zito, Haren, Blanton, Meyer
Street, Cruz, Calero, Bradford, Duscherer, Yabu(possible 5th starter)

I can see this as the team we start with next year, barring trades, free agent signings. I can easily see Durazo or Hatteberg back for one more year. Zito maybe gone, thus Saarloos or Etherton maybe back another year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 09:58 am:

Kotsay will be a free agent. Billy wants to sign
him, but that doesn't mean he will re-sign with
the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:52 am:

Melhuse will be out of here. I feel sorry for the guy. He is a decent catcher and not a bad hitter. He could be a starter on some teams. He's played, what like 6 games this year? Pathetic. Give the guys some starts. Otherwise he will demand a trade next year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:49 pm:

I thought Kotsay had 3 years left at the time of the trade. 2006 would be the final year of the deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 01:18 pm:

My bad, when Beane said he wanted to sign him
I jumped to a conclusion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:41 am:

No problem, Beane likes to extend the guys he knows will command a lot on the open market, he'll probably want to add a couple years to the current deal.
Wouldn't mind seeing Kotsay and Swish in right and center for the next 4-5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:28 am:

I woke up this morning, looked in the paper at what the A's did yesterday, and my coffee didn't taste very good.

Maybe I need to switch to decaf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:25 pm:

Drink all the coffee you want -- just don't read the sports section.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 04:56 pm:

at the top of this thread, much was made of the
weak teams on the upcoming schedule. So far the
lowly Tampa Bay Bucs swept. Toronto put up a 6
spot in the first againt the Red Sox today, and
beat Boston 6-1 yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:10 pm:

Red Sux swept by Jays.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.