Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

WTF?!?! 10-0?????

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: WTF?!?! 10-0?????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:00 pm:

Damn, I just saw that it was 1-0, I turn around to doa few things, and it's 10-0!!!! Blanton can only get 1 out? Umm, tbhis guy has been REALLY shaky the past few starts, I say we sned his ass back to AAA, obviously he's not ready for prime time. this is the freakin Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

And 10 runs? This game is over. I know I said the ship will right itslef a few days ago but this has GOT to be setting off alarm bells for Beane. I mean COME ON. With our offense, we will probably get shut out tonight.

Anytime a team comes up there and punks your ass for 10 runs in the first inning, you know yhou SUCK.

People who SUCK right now:

Haren, Blanton, Cruz, Harikkla, Rincon, Dotel(even if he is DL), Chavez, Durazo, Ginter, Kendall, Ellis, Scutaro, Thomas - ohg crap, wait! That's our WHOLE FREAKIN TEAM.

Wow, now I know what it feels like to be the Kansas City Royals, or the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, or the Pittsburgh Pirates. Haven't felt this since 1997.

Utterly pathetic. Great job guys!

Beane, what the hell are you waiting for? Get Dan Johnson up here and let's see if Rheinecker can win a few games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:06 pm:

Blanton must be injured. If he is, he needs to say something and go on the DL. Enough already.

Good thing this game is not on TV. I don't want to see the faces of this miserable mess of a team. It is going to be a very long season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:09 pm:

Unfortunately the game IS on tv here....

But it's not on MY tv anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:11 pm:

KHTK last night said they don't even want to give the A's score, they are playing so bad. Guess that'll be tonight, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:12 pm:

Blanton was never the same after that outing against SF Friday night where he was just crusing into the 5th inning and then he threw that ball to the screen and sure it was kinda funny when you saw it and the replays but Blanton fell apart after that having no control of his pitches.

I think it's mental with him. This is where a Rick Peterson would do well with a young staff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:25 pm:

so many here were so in love with all of these prospects , you gys were so happy to wave goodbye to Huddy and Mulder while pronoucing the improvment in bullpen, the so many had the gaull to say we would win what 85 90 95 games like we can lose 3 superstars in 2 yrs and everything is so ok,all the while i repeatedly said minor league guys are unproven and 70% DO NOT TURN OUT!! but so many insisted its ok to lose both pitchers we got truck loads of young minor league talent in the trades.

well what if blanton and most do not turn out? looks like they might not then what do we have 5-7 yrs of 85-89 loss seasons.

this board will be a ghost town in 2 yrs.

no panic here people just plain ol truth, so many here like to live in fantasy just re read all the post in feb march for comedy.

like i posted back then i said come june we will knowo how valuable guys like mulder and Huddy were and tejada for that matter.

money ball sucks and never really worked you need pure raw luck n talent and we had it to cover over the false hood of money ball .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:26 pm:

sacto you crack me up man. but you're right, i mean it sucks we traded those two, i ain't gonna deny it! hey man if you're really in sac let's grab a beer sometimes and lament how awful our A's are this season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:34 pm:

I was devastated when Hudson and Mulder left. What's done is done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:36 pm:

yeah, sacto's right. if bb's the guy responsible for great scouting of miggy, and the big three, then props. I think he started reading too many of his press clippings. a lotta nerve of him to suggest we might be good this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:38 pm:

Yeah, like keeping Mulder or Hudson would've change much this season. So instead of losing 5-3 or 6-2, the A's lose 3-2 or 2-1. It would only add more frustration that we kept them and we weren't still going to make a serious run at the playoffs let alone even advance in it if we somehow shocked the baseball world by making it. Hell, look at Harden who has pitched as well as any pitcher in MLB including both Mulder/Hudson and he has a losing record at 2-3.

We still don't know what we have in Blanton, Haren, and young players the A's will showcase the next few years. To say just because these young players aren't doing well the first 1/4 of their first full season as starters doesn't mean they'll bust. I'm not thinking they'll be bust, I'm thinking that all of them will be important parts two or three years from now. Don't expect great things to happen from these young players. You're going to get your hit and misses, just look at the players we brought up during the late 90s or those who were supposed to be the next great player out of the A's system.

Hits:Tejada, Chavez, Ramon, Hudson, Mulder, Zito.
Misses:Hinch, Long, Greive, Ortiz, Encarncion.

The A's will be back to being a winning team in a few years. If you want to blame this whole downfall on Beane go ahead, but without Beane, you wouldn't have had the 3rd or 4th best record in MLB since the 99 season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:41 pm:

my point and sacto's points (i think) is that bb had some of us (including yours truly) fooled. He fucked up and I puke on his massive ego.

why we didn't hedge our bets and get a mlb stick with pop is beyond me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:46 pm:

He did that.

-He went after a .300 lifetime hitter in Kendall.

-He got a 19 hr guy in Ginter who produced those 19 hrs in less than 400 ABs.

-Thomas who got .288, 7 hrs, 31 RBIs with an .819 OPS last year in less than 300 ABs with the Braves.

Beane brought in the veteran players but they haven't produced. Then to see the likes of a Durazo, Chavez, and Byrnes who were looked upon as possible 25-30 hr players have just horrible years, who could've forcasted this offensive failure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:47 pm:

okp, think about it, would 1 bat really save this team? NOBODY is hitting, even if we had ARod this team would be in horrible shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:51 pm:

ginter was a nobody until last year and you know that. he played in a hitters park. nuff said. Thomas was a nobody until last year also and that's a small sample size to draw conclusions from. Kendall's nice but we desparately needed pop. 1 good stick would help alot when you have NONE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:55 pm:

I never said BB was a bad gm, I've simply been saying his moves at the big league level the past 2 years have been so-so at best. I also give him props for his ability to scout or get scouts to sign miggy, huddy, et al.

My argument hasn't even been "dont' trade the aces" it's been, if you trade em, get a proven player. Again, why not hedge bets, get three prospects for one, get a proven stick for another. Middle ground is often the safest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:58 pm:

Matt Stairs, John Jaha, Cory Lidle, Izzy were basically nobodies when the A's signed or traded for them.

The A's have always tried to find that diamond in the rough because of the payroll they had.

So if the A's were looking for some pop, where in teh lineup where you would put him?

Catcher? We had Kendall, and there aren't too many power hitting catchers.

1B/DH? We had Durazo and Hatteburg there. Hatty has been solid but Durazo has stunk!

2B? Ginter no matter if he played in a batter friendly park provided that power that neither Ellis or Scutaro has.

SS? Crosby

3B? Chavez

LF? Byrnes who has stunk and has always been very inconsistant.

CF? Kotsay who has been teh A's best hittr the past 1 and 1/2.

RF? Swisher, you want to slow down his growth for another year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:02 pm:

I guess the more people built their expectations for this team during spring training, the more disappointment and anger they have now.

I had a feeling this team would have a .500 season if lucky and because of that I'm not as upset as some of you.

I really only blame Beane for giving the impression he would rebiuld differently. He decided to rebuild the way Alderson did in the mid nineties and he mentioned that the other day.
It gets to a point where it can't get any worse and then the rebiulding will start.

So I trully think Beane is getting ready to deal Zito which will be remisnicent to when Alderson traded McGwire and then told the fans to relax and look at the positive: "there are no more trades to regret or cry about".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:04 pm:

huh? i'd put the stick at 1st, 2nd, DH, LF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:10 pm:

1B? Where do you put Hatteburg who you signed to an extension before the season and has been solid.

2nd? Name a 2B out there the A's could've gotten. Ginter no matter what you say hit 19 hrs in half the ABs of a full season.

DH? Durazo who had a great year last year, who knew he would have fallen apart this year.

LF? Again, Byrnes, you want to sit him?

Beane brought in a veteran ballclub filled with vetearn hitters and they haven't produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:15 pm:

I wouldn't have signed hatte to an extension so I would have had an open spot at first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:17 pm:

If we didn't sign Hatty, who would've we gotten.

More likely, we would've brought up Dan Johnson and I doubt he'd have that much better success that Hatteburg has been producing for the A's so far this season.

.287, 3 hrs and 18 RBIs.

He would have his struggles too as Crosby did last year and Swisher this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:25 pm:

.287, 3hrs, bad "D"...boy are our expecatations low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:31 pm:

Hatteburg is what he is, a solid player who is a nice piece if you have better offensive players around him.

It's not like Hatteburg isn't on pace to have a solid year or years similar to what he's produced the past 3 years.

2002:.280, 15 hrs, 61 RBIs.
2003:.253, 12 hrs, 61 RBIs.
2004:.282, 15 hrs, 82 RBIs.

So far this year:.287, 3 hrs, 18 RBIs.

Average them out for a full 162 game season.

2005 projected:.280-.285, 10-14 hrs, 60-70 RBIs.

I don't think anybody has thought Hatteburg has played great defense at 1B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:38 pm:

those are pedestrian #s for a 1st bagger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:40 pm:

Yeah, they are but with Hatteburg, the A's still have made the playoffs twice and came one game short the past 3 years.

Again, Hatteburg was looked upon as a solid player.

Chavez, Byrnes, Durazo and Kendall have been the biggeset offensive dissapointments this year and they were looked upon to producing the power #s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:44 pm:

i agree. major dissapointments. this team has no spirit. i'd rather see prospects if we're going to suck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:11 pm:

In other news, Kyle Davies has started 2 games for the Braves now 10.1IP, 9H, 0R, 4BB, 12K. Looks like Beane really should have insisted on this guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:27 pm:

Gammons was on saying Beane wanted Davies, but
the Braves GM absolutely refused to give up
Davies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:32 pm:

Well, he could have refused to give them Huddy too. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:10 pm:

Oddly, my son played baseball with a kid named Kyle Davies, and also with one named Reed Johnson (Toronto).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:21 pm:

some of yous are pretending that billy beane said we were going to win it all this year. fooey.

he made no promises. he knew we weren't going to make the playoffs. whadya want, a genius medal for knowing how to read between the lines? yay, you got it.

let's cut our losses and have a good time. all we can do now is enjoy this year -- truly a summer without tension, what with the low expectations -- and assume that next year can only be better...

...which is something billy has said he would be accountable for. after all, it's the price we pay for getting ourselves a playoffs-capable team for the next 4-5 years starting in 2005/2006.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:23 pm:

ss,
playoff capable in 2006? love that optomism.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 07:49 am:

optomism? wuzzat? ;-)

we're a good team that's performing very poorly. all i'm saying is that we gots nowhere to go but up, and we'll get there in the foreseeable future. could be two years, one if we're lucky.

as for this summer, it's going to be a long one. let's get used to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:30 am:

Yep....ssblip is right. We're a good team that is performing poorly. When you look at our offense on paper compared to last year's, we're a better team. So far, things just haven't gone our way. Injuries (half of our freaking team) have plagued us bigtime. Not to mention most of our team is in a slump. We need Harden back asap. We need Calero and Dotel back as well....especially Calero. We need Crosby to get back and give us the D we're sorely missing. We need Swish to hit the way he was in his AAA assignment he just completed. We also need to bring Johnson up and see what he can do. And, we need to look into getting that long-awaited RH bat. I don't think things will continue like they have been. I'm not saying they'll make the playoffs......but I definitely don't think we'll be this bad all season. The frustration that we've all felt the past while makes it hard to believe that we'll get out of this rut....but I really think we will. Don't give up hope yet.... there is still a LOT of season to be played.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:41 am:

Personally, I think we're an average team that's performing poorly. Applying "good" to the current squad may be a stretch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samk on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:54 am:

I agree Jen. Average at best. There are too many ?s and if's about our key guys. We thought last year's performances by Durazo, Hatteberg, Kotsay, Thomas, Kendall, Cruz, Calero could be repeated. Now, they look more like career years. Hope I'm wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:29 am:

I join in by saying that this is a poor team that looks better on paper. However, it is the living proof that baseball is not played on paper and all the individual projections mean nothing when starting with the field manager they don't play as a team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:06 pm:

I'm kinda in the middle here.

I say, GOOD team that is injured AND playing poorly that is led by a moron at the field level.

I'm convinced a real live Manager would have shaken this team from its doldrums and gotten them to play up to their abilities and together as a team at the very least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:10 pm:

Too many players that have potential, but no
real production for me to say they are a good
team (good being a contender for a playoff spot).

They are an average team, that could be good if
the young players potential starts being fullfilled. The vets have really under performed
for the most part, thus a very below average team
up to this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:15 pm:

"I'm convinced a real live Manager would have shaken this team from its doldrums and gotten them to play up to their abilities and together as a team at the very least."

Although I agree with RenoBill here, it does not appear that yesterday's pre-game, closed-door meeting had the immediate desired effect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:39 pm:

last year to me and i made the comment that we won games or had a yr when we were gettin the LUCKY key hit or break, we were winning games 3-2 or 4-3 with luck runs , we lost a big bat after 03 and we lucked out by gettin replacement hits that those players did not get in thier careers.

This yr is basically a team without 2 big starters and a starting club of players who over achieved last yr and this yr are having an underachiveing yr or a typical yr for the guys, this team is not a good team on paper people never was not now but a team that we expected to be good becuase they played above thier skills last yr.

to many holes to fill for this team to get good in 2 yrs will take lucky drafts and FA spending now will wolff spend? that is the biggest question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:50 pm:

Last year, Durazo, Hatteberg, Chavez (against lefties) indeed had career years. So did Kotsay ... though he will always perform at a high level as long as he remains healthy. Further, Damian Miller had a career year also and gave much more offensively than was expected. I think the A's brass may have felt this would be all these numbers would be close to the norm, but not so.

I still have faith that Kendall will get out of his funk, but that is dissipating somewhat ... especially if the turn around isn't noticed by mid-June. But when you look at the difference btw. what Miller did vs. Kendall, that's a pretty darn big gap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:46 pm:

this is a time when signing miggy -- rather than chavez -- really matters.

in addition to being consistent, the guy's a natural leader. given the lack of soul in our manager, we could really use some in our players.

miggy, how i miss thee...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.