Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Pittsburgh West

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Pittsburgh West
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dave_parker on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 02:21 pm:

Welcome to the dregs of baseball, A's fans. Congratulations, you are now officially Pittsburgh West. Your best players are traded away for nothing, Your offense couldnt hit its way out of a wet paper bag, and the fans are jumping ff the wagon. Sucks doesnt it. Hopefully your embarressment won't last as long as the Pirates organization, 12 years and counting. P.S. thanks for taking Kendall off of our hands. How's he doing anyway?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 02:38 pm:

"P.S. thanks for taking Kendall off of our hands."

Unfortunately for you guys....you'll probably be repaying the favor to us in the offseason by taking Macha off our hands.

These 2 favors seem very loppsided -

A's: Take career .300 hitter of Pirates' hands.

Pirates: Take career brainless, emotionless Dud Manager off A's hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 02:49 pm:

Nice job Pirates letting Bonds go in 92! I'm sure management doesn't regret that move at all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 04:43 pm:

At least Pittsburgh has a new stadium. How'z that workin' out, Cobra?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 06:36 pm:

The A's will be back in a few years, Pittsburgh has been rebuilding for over a decade now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

who says we will be back in a few yrs very cocky A's fan , i think it will be 5-8 yrs if that we had luck with our drafts and some magic this is not with us now and in 4 yrs Harden will be gone, what was so specail is a few great players like g-man miggy chevy devloped when we had a 1 in a chance lifetime 3 big horses show up toooo not going to happen again foolish thinkin people.

the only way back up is spending big $$$ on FA and ya think its goin to happen in Oakland???NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 08:17 pm:

sacto, take a deep breath and relax and stop to think a little...the A's didn't get or win a WS with the 3 Aces so let it go and wait for the next window of opportunity to open...you've seen 4 world series which is something most fans don't get to see in their lifetime.

take a look at Atlanta and how many times they keep reloading...they also had their great pitching staff like the A's...nobody is really irreplaceable and great players come and go on every team.

let it go and enjoy the era in baseball maybe without steroids and hgh...that alone will force a change in the type of station to station style of baseball we'll perhaps see a return to more fundamental and situational baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 08:59 pm:

The A's were successful for 5 seasons without spending a lot of money on free agents, so I don't think that's "the only way back up."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:08 pm:

Your right lil, i hate this style of A's baseballl it is so boring we used to be rickey henderson style hit steal base then hit 1 run now we get walk grnd ball st out walk strike out .

the most exciting A's team that i remember was 76 we stole 350 bases that yr man those guys were so much fun to watch.

this season would be much more fun if we were doin that stealing bases ect. we have good speed with brynes and kotsy they should be hitten 1-2 then runnin.

why do we have a slow and light hitten kendall at top of order is macha a dumb shit or is beane really directing this whole operation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:22 am:

Well, technically, we've seen 6 World Series...we've just only had the pleasure of bringing home the trophy 4 times. We have truly been blessed. And honestly, we've been a very competitive team for the last 6 years, since we surprised everyone with a great 2nd half run in 1999 that set us up for the next half-decade.

Sacto, it might be boring to you but the system has worked. As the personnel changes adjustments are made accordingly, although not drastic ones. And Kendall is hardly slow - he's got 142 career steals, including 3 years of 20+. And you really want Byrnes hitting 2nd against RHP?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 05:31 pm:

"why do we have a slow and light hitten kendall at top of order is macha a dumb shit or is beane really directing this whole operation?"

Maybe both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 06:49 pm:

I would not mind the losing if it looked they gave a shit...this team looks the are just calling it...there is no fire other then Burns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 11:39 pm:

"who says we will be back in a few yrs very cocky A's fan , i think it will be 5-8 yrs if that we had luck with our drafts and some magic this is not with us now and in 4 yrs Harden will be gone, what was so specail is a few great players like g-man miggy chevy devloped when we had a 1 in a chance lifetime 3 big horses show up toooo not going to happen again foolish thinkin people.

the only way back up is spending big $$$ on FA and ya think its goin to happen in Oakland???NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!"

The A's still have a half a dozen good young players taht will be leading this team in a few years.

Crosby, Swisher, Harden, Haren, Street, DJ, and many other young players the A's will bring up hopefully late this year and early next year.

Look, it took 3 years for the A's team in the late 90s to contend reguarlarly. Tejada, Greive, Chavez, T-Long, Ramon, Hudson, Mulder, Zito.

You mention teh Big 3, yes it was great to see them in the green and gold but they didn't help us win a championship. In fact, you could say other than Zito, both Hudson and Mulder choked in the playoffs or got injured and didn't even make an apperance.

Harden is a stud and will be one when he is fully healthy. I still like Haren who has pitched really well his last 3 starts but the A's couldn't score anything for him. He's having his ups and downs for a SP who is making the adjustment to a new league and the struggles a pitcher makes when he goes from a SP/RP to a full time SP like Haren is doing this year. Don't expect Haren, Blanton, Windsor, or any other young pitchers to be great right away like the Big 3 were with Hudson going 11-2 his rookie season and then winning 20 games his second year, Mulder becoming a 20 game winner his second full year, and Zito have a great rookie season which included a must win start against the Yanks in Game 4 of the ALDS in 2000. We got so spoiled with these guys becoming so great so soon, that I think many A's fans are too hard on the young pitchers so far in their first year starting full time.

The A's can win with good solid SP and a great bullpen which I think the A's will continue to have the next few years with Street, Calero, Duke, and maybe the likes of Cruz/Garcia and other young pitchers the A's might bring up.

Yes, the offense will have their struggles but the potential is there. I don't think it'll take a half decade for the A's to become contenders again. We've seen other teams that looked dead in the water one year and then become instant contenders the next year like the Angels/Marlins/Dodgers/Astros and others. The A's are run by a very good GM and hate on Beane all you want, the guy is one of the best no matter what you think of him personally or the way he acts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.