Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

This could have been written by sactodavey

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: This could have been written by sactodavey
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:13 am:

(at least parts of it)
(and if he used spellcheck)

Posted on Sat, May. 28, 2005

ERIC GILMORE: TIMES COLUMNIST

Talking won't cure A's mess

Quick hits while we watch the A's continue their painful trip toward rock bottom at 100 mph.

The A's talked the talk during a players-only meeting Wednesday before facing the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Then they walked straight into a 10-run first-inning ambush and a 14-6 loss.

The A's can't talk their way out of this mess. They need to hit, pitch and field their way back to respectability.

As anyone from the real world could have told them, meetings are overrated.

Let's put Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer's purchase of Manchester United to the smell test.

Ready, set, sniff. Oh my God, what died?

You can't blame English soccer fans for being mad. The owner of their soccer jewel is a foreigner who wouldn't know the difference between a corner kick and a kick in the rear.

You can imagine the reaction at Cal this week when news broke that Stanford planned to build a new, 50,000-seat football stadium in time for the 2007 season.

It was acid reflux meets irritable bowel syndrome in Berkeley.

Cal has been struggling for years to raise enough cash to renovate its football home.

Memorial Stadium sits atop the Hayward Fault. But not even that fun and dangerous fact has convinced enough Old Blues to reach far enough into their deep pockets to put this project over the top.

Then Stanford comes along and, with zero fanfare or public agonizing, puts a stadium plan on the fast track.

Who knows? Maybe this is exactly what Cal needed to get its stadium fund-raising plan up to speed.

After all, there's nothing Old Blues hate worse than losing to Stanford -- at anything.

So how are those trades of starting pitchers Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson working out for the A's?

So far, not so good.

The A's traded Hudson to the Atlanta Braves for starting pitcher Dan Meyer, reliever Juan Cruz and outfielder Charles Thomas.

They traded Mulder to the St. Louis Cardinals for starting pitcher Danny Haren, reliever Kiko Calero and minor-league catcher/first baseman Daric Barton.

Mulder won his seventh straight game Wednesday. He's 7-1 overall and 7-0 with a 2.84 ERA in his past eight starts. Hudson is 5-3 with a 3.05 ERA.

What have the A's received in return?

Meyer, projected to be in the A's starting rotation, started 1-3 with a 6.62 ERA for Triple-A Sacramento. Oh yeah: Now he's on the disabled list with a sore shoulder.

Entering Friday night's game against the Cleveland Indians, Cruz was 0-2 with an 8.00 ERA. Thomas was hitting .098 with one RBI and zero home runs as an A's bench player.

Haren is 1-7 with a 4.87 ERA. Calero is 2-0 with an 8.68 ERA and is on the 15-day disabled list with an elbow injury.

Can you say Murphy's Law?

Barton is the lone player the A's acquired in either deal who hasn't had a rocky start. Through Thursday's games, he was hitting .283 with seven doubles and five homers for Stockton, the A's Single-A California League team.

Two words of warning for any overbearing parents trying to create the next sports superstar: Todd Marinovich.

If Jerry Rice wants to continue his NFL career at age 42, more power to him. It's his body, his life and his legacy.

If he loves the game so much that he's willing to be a Denver Broncos backup in order to play one more season, who are we to complain?

Rice isn't stupid. He knows he can't play forever. He's simply trying to savor the final days of his Hall of Fame career, savor the adrenaline rush of game days and the camaraderie of the locker room one more season.

This isn't a sad story. It's refreshing.

File this under, please say it ain't so: NBA uniforms could one day be filled with advertiser logos if the price soars high enough.

At least that's what some high-ranking NBA executives told the New York Times.

It's bad enough that NASCAR's drivers and cars are advertising billboards and that pro golfers use their hats, shirts and bags to hawk products.

What next? Players getting tattoos of NIKE's swoosh? NBA commissioner David Stern selling advertising space on Shaq's biceps to McDonalds and Bud Light?

For the first time, voting in final regular-season coaches' college football poll will be made public this year.

So at least we'll have a better idea of who to blame for next year's Bowl Championship Series debacle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:37 am:

Well, there's one huge difference, besides the spell check...

we may agree or disagree with SactoD but nobody doubts his passion for the A's as a fan, at least I don't.

This Gilmore dude...I just wonder how many pennants and WS his team ever won. ankee fan, big deal...with all that money they should have won more... The feeling I got from his piece was that he was just trying to join the folks who enjoy to kick a horse when it's down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 12:26 pm:

Lil, what makes you think Gilmore is a Yankee fan? I've never read anything of his that gave me that impression.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 12:43 pm:

I have no idea. My post had a portion cut off...

I meant to say, I wonder how many ws his team ever won AND IF he is a Yankee fan, big deal...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 01:00 pm:

ey, you seem to know this guy Gilmore...does he have any credibility? I only gave an opinion based on that one column so I have no idea how good or bad he is or what team he admires...certainly doesn't seem like he admires the A's or Beane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 02:49 pm:

He kinda looks like Joe Dirt. Yeah, I read his oh so creative column while sitting in Tully's in DT Pleasanton...turnmed my coffee sour. Also in the A's notebook section of the CC Times is an interesting commment from Rhodes who says he loved everyone in the org except for Cacah. He said some pretty scathing remarks which just goes to show what an asshole our skipper is. I wish he would just quit so we don't have to pay him for the remainder of the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By snax on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 02:50 pm:

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 03:40 pm:

Ey,
that spell check crack was hilarious! Love it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 05:08 pm:

Gilmore is in the CC Times rotation with Hayes and Peterson. I've never noticed any particular pro- or anti-A's bias from him. I just thought his comments today were strangely reminiscent of sactodavey.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.