Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Rickey!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Rickey!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 01:45 pm:

Given that we are in dire straits, why not sign this dude, just to shake things up a little? Maybe if the season is more or less gone to pot, BB will let Rickey retire in an A's uniform.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050527&content_id=1064522&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 01:56 pm:

That dude doesn't want to retire and that dude can't help the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 02:16 pm:

I didn't mean to be rude oakchick, but I think what Rickey has to offer is not really what Beane is looking for to help his team.

That doesn't mean I agree with Beane, but if he's felt Rickey couldn't help before, I see no reason for him to change his mind now.

Besides, Rickey doesn't want to retire and he wouldn't want to just be a bench player now so I think he is better off just having fun until the day comes when somebody will have to drag him off the field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 05:17 pm:

Great article, oakchick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beaneball on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 08:39 pm:

I only wish, oakchick. But I am convinced that Billy Beane has a grudge against Rickey for some reason. Maybe from back in 1989 when Rickey was the star outfielder and Beane was at the end of the bench, maybe Rickey big-timed him or something. I don't know what it is but Rickey must have pissed him off somehow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 09:42 pm:

D-lil ....Gawd... that was a bit of comic relief, since this board is so obsessed with Rickey.

Relax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:57 pm:

If he is persona nongrata with the org then why was he at the 05' Fan Fest? If Beane really had a grudge he would not have been there. My only guess is that Beane thinks he would be to much of a distraction to have around. He might start showing the fellas the proper techniques of base stealing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 04:57 am:

I don't think Rickey is persona non grata and I don't believe at all with the grudge theory either...

Beane was very candid about Rickey since 1998 .
Rickey already in 99 had the worse SLG% of ll left fielders in the game. And Beane knew Rickey can still run and can on base but that is not what he looks for a bench player. So he went and got David Justice and Ron Gant because they still had "pop".

Sure Rickey and the fans would love to see him in A's uniform...
Beane said already two years ago at FanFest when fans and Rickey begged him for a comeback: "nostalgia doesn't win games and winning is what put fans in the stands". And he went on to say that "the day Rickey wants to retire, he'll bring him back for his day of retirement, but not to play.

We all know Rickey can still bring excitement and we know he could help with coaching and he'd be great with some of the young players...

But on this team, with Ken Macha as the field manager, I think it would be a formula for disaster. Now...if Ron Washington or a man like Bruce Boche was the manager and the would have an interest in developing some running skills and other fundamentals of the game...then it would be a different story.

Nobody would like to see Rickey honored in Oaktown like he and his fans deserve to see more than I do...but NOT under the present circumstances and not with Macha as the manager.

PS: sorry again... I didn't mean to be rude to you at all. I'm not obsessed with Rickey, I just respect him I consider myself lucky and priviledged as a baseball fan to have seen the greatness of his Hall of Fame career.

I'm relaxed :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 04:12 pm:

Beane is an idiot when it comes to Rickey. He's a damn leadoff hitter, why was he focused on his slugging %?

I'm with you lil. I'm just happy to be able to see Rickey play live in San Diego!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 06:41 pm:

Dennis O'Donnell interviewed Rickey from San Diego last night. Rickey sounds like he's enjoying himself, but he's hoping for a chance to come back to the bigs. DOD asked him what he would do if the A's offered him a chance to come back on the condition that he would retire at the end of the season. Rickey said he would not accept such a condition, that he'll retire when he he believes it's time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.