Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

sent down

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: sent down
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 06:02 pm:

I wonder what they are saying in Detroit ????

Optioned 1B Carlos Pena to Toledo of the IL. Recalled 1B-DH Chris Shelton from Toledo

all we did was send down Ginter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:04 pm:

Wow, Pena was sent down?? I swear, Billy has a crystal ball...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:32 pm:

Yeh, watching a portion of one of their telecasts a couple weeks ago and they said he was close to going down then, if he didn't pick it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 11:41 pm:

For all those who like to pound their chest otherwise, a perfect example of when BB does admit to a mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:47 am:

I'm just amazed...this guy was supposed to be the next superstar....what happened ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:27 am:

Rumor has it, he refused to listen to his coaches. I know there were comments that the A's brass was not happy re his stubborness when it came to coaching. Then again, it could just be he was way overrated and the Rangers pulled a "Beane" on Beane. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By muddlehead on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:54 am:

too bad about c pena. when he was with us, was a great radio interviewee. went to northeastern in boston as i recall. could not have been more articulate and upbeat the one or two times i heard him. and not just the post game we won radio stuff. sit down with ken or ray type of thing. a fan since then. in fact, the only current player comparable to him in radio-ese, is n swisher. that's why we root especially hard for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:45 am:

"Then again, it could just be he was way overrated and the Rangers pulled a "Beane" on Beane."

Not really. How much have Jason Hart, Gerald Laird, Ryan Ludwick and Mario Ramos done since we dealt them to Texas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:02 am:

Ramos is back with us I believe.

And don't forget, we also got the great Mike Venafro in that deal!!! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:18 am:

this is why all the big trades this winter were a bad thing or a big gamble most monor league guys do not pan out.

anytime we trade a qaulity vet for a minor league phenom we might start forgeting about gettin anything back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:57 am:

Sacto.

I know this has been said before but you gotta give it more than 2 months of one season to evaluate the trades.

Here we are, what, two years later, still debating the benefits of the Pena trade.

Even at first blush, I like every offseason trade the A's did and believe they will turn out well.

BUT, it remains to be seen. eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:11 pm:

And sacto's comments make no sense in regard to Pena. It was all minor league deal when they traded for him. Then they traded him for a veteran (well someone with a couple of years experience) in Lilly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 01:51 pm:

"anytime we trade a qaulity vet for a minor league phenom we might start forgeting about gettin anything back."

Right. Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell and Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz really never worked out for those teams that got the minor leaguer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doc on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 03:36 pm:

and look at this:
Cleveland
Designated OF Ryan Ludwick for assignment.

and do not forget trading Lilly for Kielty aghhh

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.