Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Macha = Turd re: batting order

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Macha = Turd re: batting order
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:47 am:

For the first time this year, Macha ACTUALLY changed, and really changed up this batting order. And what happens? 10 runs.

Not to toot my own horn, but I know a few of us have screamed for Kotsay to bat 3rd. It really makes the most sense as he is our BEST hitter. Kendall batting leadoff makes too much sense too - cause that's what he's done most of his career.

The 2nd spot should be rotated depedning on who is playing, but vs. Lefties, that is where byrnes should be.

Putting Kietly in the 8th slot makes no sense, but the point is, it worked. Maybe this wasn't the "optimal" lineup, but it made sense that night and worked.

Of course, I am sure the lineup will be back to the old crap tonight....cause macha is an idiot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:15 am:

Well, Macha has already stated he only had Kotsay hitting third because he wanted Scut hitting 2nd because Scut got a HR off Nomo last week. The 2 spot needs to be figured out (Byrnes tonite?), but Kendall and Kotsay should continue to hit 1 and 3, respectively, IMO. And Macha hasn't seemed to figure out yet, that Scutaro hits better down near the bottom of the order ... especially #9. Seems to me our "power guy" (Chavez w/ 4 HRs over 60 days) should be hitting around 7th or 8th.

But then, don't expect it to happen from a manager who insists on putting DJ in the DH spot every other day, in lieu of 1b everyday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 10:01 am:

Macha is a knucklehead for sure.

Hatty is another candidate for the two spot. While ideally you'd like some speed in that spot, Hatty (as well as Durazo, briefly) has excelled in that position in the past due to his great batting eye.

Versus RH

Kendall
Hatty
Kotsay
Chavez
Crosby
Johnson
Ellis
Swisher
Kielty

Versus LH

Kendall
Ellis
Kotsay
Byrnes
Kielty
Chavez
Crosby
Johnson
Swisher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 10:59 am:

I wouldn't mind seeing Hattey in the 2 hole sometimes. Take a look at his AB after DJ's leadoff double. Works the count, then hits a groundball to the right side to move the runner over. Just perfect.

On the flip side, Marco failed in that exact same situation in the first inning, and wasn't able to get Kendall over.

Byrnes isn't even hitting lefties right now. I think he should still start against lefties, but he shouldn't bat cleanup against anyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:15 am:

I agree - I like hattey in the 2 hole. I would prefer Chavey in the 5 and someone else in the cleanup. Hell, right now, it could be Kielty who is a SH.

But Kendall 1 and Kotsay 3 is a must.

What's the bet they are there tonight>?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 03:18 pm:

Three year splits for Hatteberg show his numbers across the board (incl. power #s) are far and away best from the #2 and #5 slots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:02 pm:

Ideally, if Durazo were healthy and productive, and Chavez would waken from his coma, I would like to see 1-4 be:

Kendall
Kotsay
Chavez
Durazo

Speed AND OBP at the top of the lineup is important to me. It's like when we had Rickey leading off and Mike Davis, a speedy, on base guy himself, batting 2nd. Not that those were great teams!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 05:30 pm:

kevin are you serious? haven't we tried this lineup about 50 timea already this year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:37 pm:

I agree, that lineup is played - maybe it's "Optimal" as the moron macha states, but as of now, kendall should be leading off the 2nd slot should be shared between hattey vs. rightys and byrnes vs. lefties and then preferably, someone other than chavey is in the 4 hole and chavey goes to 5.

If kielty is one of our hottest hitters, he should be clean up for the time being.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:40 pm:

rff, not sure, I only occassionally get to watch the A's and don't even get a newspaper at this point so rarely see boxscores.
The main trouble with my lineup is 3&4 are not producing. If this would happen the A's are a .500 team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 07:56 pm:

A's hitting tonight!

Although I still would rather see Byrnes in the 2 hole (or hattey against righties) I like Byrnes in a more power slot (tonight 5) rather than 7, 8 or 9.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:29 pm:

Wow back to back double diget scoring nights!

But this is against the D-Rays so I guess it should be expected.

Good to see most of the bats doing well this series, hopefully the momentum can continue and this season won't be as bad as most A's fans thought just a week ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 10:47 pm:

Two more good plays by DJ at first. No doubt we'll see him in the DH slot tomorrow. Go figure. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sparky on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:47 pm:

This is the lineup I prefer. Not necessarliy the batting order, but the right group of guys, so nice to have swish and crosby back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 03:44 am:

From the Thursday Chronicle:

Before the game, manager Ken Macha said that Byrnes is not in a platoon, despite the fact that he has not been playing against right-handed starters.

"If he goes out and produces, he's going to play,'' Macha said.

"I know I can hit right-handed pitchers,'' Byrnes said before the game. "There's no doubt in my mind, I've done it in the past and at times this year. Getting off to a 2-for-30 (against righties) was frustrating.''

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:17 am:

He's not in a platoon, but he's splitting time with other guys' vs. Rightys!!! LOL!
HILARIOUS>
that is the story of macha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:25 am:

I think if Byrnes continues to rope lefties overall (even though he didn't do much against them the last few times) they'll work some ABs for him against RHP to give him a shot. If he can produce against RHP, maybe he becomes more of an everyday player.

I thought Byrnesy was on his way to an even cheaper cycle than he got against the Giants in 2003. That was basically three singles last night (if that) that became a single, double and triple. The only thing that would have made it even better is if he hit a fly ball that bounced off the OF's dome for a home run, Jose-style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:19 pm:

Wow, the A's finally scoring some runs and getting cruquet(sp?) innings.

Is this latest surge because of the young guys in Crosby, Swisher and Johnson up and it gave the A's a bolt.

Mainly Crosby I'm thinking because he gives a A's a good RH bat even though he's only sophomore.

So far in 5 games, Crosby is 6-15. We missed his bat the first two months of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:37 pm:

crooked numbers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 03:34 am:

Yeah, "crooked numbers". lol

Still think the A's need a RH slugging bat. Even though many A's fans love Byrnes and the energy/hustle he brings to the A's, I doubt he'll be a part of this team in the near future. With Dotel gone, could be the most valuable trading piece the A's have,

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.