Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Ratto's team of A's discards

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Ratto's team of A's discards
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:11 pm:

"In fact, now that we think of it, Remember Him is having a fabulous year, especially on the Oaktown side. You could take the A's discards over the past several years and make arguably one of the five best 25-man rosters in the game (hey, we warned you our minds were wandering).

The rotation: Hudson, Mulder, Kenny Rogers, Jeremy Bonderman and Mark Redman -- combined 2005 numbers, 28-14, 2.96.

The bullpen: Isringhausen, Rhodes, Harang (you can always use an extra starter), Keith Foulke, Tanyon Sturtze and Chris Hammond -- combined 2005, 15-6, 2.85, 26 saves, four blown.

The infield: Ramon Hernandez, Eric Hinske, Mark Bellhorn (unless you want to count Ray Durham), Miguel Tejada, Mark Teahen.

The outfield: Guillen, Damon, Jermaine Dye.

The bench: Saenz, Damian Miller, John Mabry, Matt Stairs, Frank Catalanotto and Frank Menechino. Jason Giambi would have made this team, but we needed a middle infielder. "

"http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/06/01/SPG5OD1J8K1.DTL"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:20 pm:

Even Matt Stairs is having a nice year for KC! UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 05:41 pm:

This is a ridiculously stupid exercise by Ratto. If we had kept Hinske, we never could have gotten Koch, who begat Foulke. So he's double-counting. And if Izzy doesn't leave, we never need Koch or Foule or Rhodes. Same with Ramon and Damian Miller. Harang was traded for Guillen. Etc., etc.

BTW, I can barely even express in words how much I hate Olmedo Saenz. That guy was barely worthwhile when he was here, then we pay him to rehab when we were under no obligation to do so, only to have him quit and leave the team just when he's about to finish his rehab. And now he's having a solid year for the Dodgers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 05:59 pm:

I hear ya Big3 on Olmedo. BB took him off the AAA White Sox scrap heap to give him a legit shot at the bigs to begin with. Then rehab him at our cost. Must be something we don't know about but it seems cosy that he ended up with Depo in LA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:02 pm:

Ratto acknowledged it was a silly exercise...the product of staring a meaningless season in the face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:13 pm:

F-RATTO! The season is not even over! Write this article at the END of the season and then let's see the results. Last season Mulder was one of the very best pithchers in the first half and then went to shit. Articles like this give blowhards like Sacto more fodder, just what we need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 07:55 pm:

Ratto just wrote, what Sactodavey loves to
post. Although Sacto does it piece meal, and
with the words jumbled together.

Just for Sacto....Miggy went 4-5 with an hr
and 3 runs scored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:02 pm:

Hah! Rocket I posted the same thing on another thread. Miggy's stats for the nite for Sacto ... and for me. :)

"Ratto acknowledged it was a silly exercise."
He seems to have a lot of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:03 am:

If anyone is trying to say Redman's trade was dumb for Beane cause now he's so good - that's just moronic.

Redman had GREAT stats on the ROAD last year for us but he could NOT pitch at HOME. Because of that, he's expendable. Hell, you could have the best pitcher in the world, but if he starts half his games at home and his era is like almost double that of the road era, how much does that help you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 08:19 am:

Hay!! Anuther talente d pitcher that Beian personally let walk "The Gambler" alway s wins at the Coli that F*c#ing freud Beeane should trade fer him ASAP !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:28 am:

The article contained a list of Remember Himís from the Aís and Giants; it wasnít a critique of the Emperor Nero.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:01 am:

Absolutely right about Redman at home, Adam.

Is Ratto's memory so short that he can't recall Rogers was begging for Oakland to trade him to the point of becoming a cancer? And Beane finally had to tell him to pitch well enough (he wasn't at the time) if he wanted other teams to show an interest. Rogers remains my most unfavorite player in the game. Even more so than Bonds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 12:21 pm:

Ratto rocks. You gotta have some fun and that's what he's doing. Lighten up.

The most glaring mistakes that I can see are: Hinske for Chavez (not wild about Chavvy lately but I'd take him over Hinske) and the mere existence of Menechino on this list. (The guy has/had great OBP because he never swung the freaking bat. You don't walk your way to greatness.) Anyway, you knew I'd say that...

Meanwhile, yeah, Saenz is looking incredible this year. Oh well. Even Giambi gets a hit now and then. They'll both hit the skids again someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 12:23 pm:

Menechino hit very well, amazingly enough, after the A's dumped him on the Blue Jays last year but he's back to his usual self this season.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.