Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Durazo

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Durazo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 05:27 pm:

Has anyone heard anything about him? How's his mending coming if at all?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 07:16 pm:

From Joe Roderick's notebook, cctimes:

Davis said DH Erubiel Durazo (left elbow tendinitis) won't return when he's eligible to come off the DL next week. "He's not going to go on the next road trip. Draw your own inference from that," Davis said. "Unless something changes drastically, he'll stay here and get treatment."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 08:21 pm:

On yesterday's show, Marty Lurie and Mychael Urban were speculating that there's nothing wrong with Durazo's elbow and that he'll stay on the DL as long as the team (read: BB) wants him to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 08:41 pm:

They could be keeping Ruby on the DL in an effort to showcase Hattey to teams that would want a good, veteran LH bat off the bench.

Or maybe they don't want Ruby to ruin his trade value any more than he already has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 09:34 pm:

Mongo's injury was a mystery, and all of these
reports seem to indicate his injury is not that
serious. Sounds like he is firmly in the BB
doghouse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 10:35 pm:

If the A's are shoawcasing Hatte, he is not
co-operating. He has weak OPS of .542 the last
7 days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=oak&season=2005&split=61&seasonType=2&type=reg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 12:38 am:

I was watching ESPN pregame game special in the morning on Sunday and they asked Steve Phillips who the A's might trade and he didn't bring up Durazo.

-Rincon to the Phillies
-Byrnes to the Nats.
-Hatteburg to the Mets

Those were the names mentioned. I don't think both Hatty and Durazo will be with the A's after the deadline, just want to know who might be the one who gets traded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:01 am:

I mentioned to Dickey my dismay over Macha putting Hatteberg at 1b every other day over Johnson. He believes they want to keep Hatteberg with some playing time at first in order to showcase for other teams. If there is no interest, he thinks they will eat his salary. I will be surprised if they eat his salary, however. Though given the production the Mets are (not) getting from Mientkiewicz, they could have genuine interest in Hattey.

As for Durazo, I too think his injury is not as "severe" as being played out. They have an opportunity to take a long look at DJ and they are not about to let a "lame duck" interfere with that opportunity. And who knows what to believe, but I heard last season that BB was not at all happy with Durazo. But, IMO, then he ended up with a good season last year and BB knew this team needed all the offense it could get, thus picking him up for another year.

Ideally, they'd like to get him some playing time and have him get hot, I'm sure, so some interest will be generated. But in the meantime, they are hoping someone will bite on Hatteberg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 11:04 am:

Mychael Urban with Marty Lurie suggested on Saturday that A's 2006 lineup might be:

Outfield- Kotsay, Kielty, Thomas
Infield- Chavez,Crosby,Ellis, 1B Swisher
DH Johnson
C Kendall

Could also be this year, too. Urban believes that Swisher will be at First for shaky outfield play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 12:24 pm:

I have always said ... going back to his minor league days ... that it is more likely Swisher will end up at 1b. In fact have recently posted the same. Swisher is a good defensive 1st baseman. His outfield defense is shaky at best. Does not get good reads on balls ... dives when ill-advised and I always get nervous when he goes back on a ball. Hmmm, remind you of anyone?

Even so, if Cust keeps putting up decent numbers, I expect he'll get a shot at DH. Even though that will leave Swisher in the outfield. But only if Cust could finally break through in the majors ... and I have serious doubts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 03:04 pm:

Swisher at 1B?

What about Daric Barton. I doubt the A's want to keep him as a catcher and that he'll be the future 1B of the future.

Swisher isn't the best OF defender but he's good enough to stick at RF for the next 5-7 years and don't have to worry much about him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 03:14 pm:

Barton won't be ready to start next year. He's not hitting for much power at Stockton right now but is sporting a .415 OBP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:07 pm:

Durazo has no place to play during interleague, so best if he stays on the DL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 09:43 am:

Good point, eyleenn. As it is, Macha will (likely) be alternating btw. Hatteberg/Johnson. Three guys to get work for this next week would be very difficult. That's assuming DJ won't return to Sacto after Durazo is activated.

In the meantime, Bagwell is having surgery which could end his season ... and possibly his career. Could the Astros have interest in Hatteberg? They're not in the race and I don't know who they have backing up Bagwell, so it's probably doubtful. But just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:27 am:

Lance Berkman is playing 1B for the Astros coming off his knee surgery. I can't picture them trading for a vet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:14 pm:

Well, guess there is always hope the Mets might be interested. Mets signed Graves to a contract, by the way. I apologize if this has already been mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beaneball on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:31 pm:

God I hope this is the end of Durazo. Time to cut our losses, it was worth a shot but the experiment has failed. Put Hatteburg at 1B and Johnson at DH or vice versa I don't care. Ship Durazo off to Tampa Bay or Kansas City where we will never have to hear from him again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 11:47 am:

Did Durazo kick beaneball's puppy? Did he miss that he was the best hitter on the A's last year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 11:57 am:

Gee, I was thinking the same thing. Durazo did not hit with quite the power expected of him last year, but he did hit .321, right???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 12:02 pm:

YC,
It is always what have you done lately for most
fans of all teams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 12:49 pm:

I think there was no way for Durazo to live up to all the hype the A's brought on with Beane calling him the "holy grail." They were making it sound like he was the second coming of Giambi(when he was good) but Durazo is not a power guy. He has been a solid hitter the last 2 years but I don't think he will ever put up the monster numbers most thought he would with regular playing time. Personally I think he had a career year last year and I don't think he will even sniff .321 ever again. More realistic numbers for him would be .280 20 75. Maybe on a good team he drives in more runs. The thing that drives me crazy with this guy is all an opposing pitcher has to do is throw a breaking ball that breaks low and away and Ruby will swing and miss 99 out 100 times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 02:51 pm:

It's those alligator arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beaneball on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 03:52 pm:

No it's not what he hasn't done lately. It's what hasn't done ever. I think givedaddy nailed it. I know me for one, I bought into all of the hype started by Billy Beane himself, and we never saw that player he talked about. The guy we got has little power, can't run, can't play a position, not even 1B. All he can do is K, hit into inning killing DP's, and walk. Even when he walks it usually isn't good, because there will be a runner on 3rd, all we need is a sac fly, but instead of swinging the bat he will try to take a walk. Say what you want about moneyball but when you are the DH, supposedly a power hitter, you need to try to drive that run in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 04:00 pm:

He did have a higher BA & OBP than David Ortiz last year.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.