Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's select Clifton Pennington, ss with 1st Round Pick

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's select Clifton Pennington, ss with 1st Round Pick
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:40 am:

Don't know a thing about him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:42 am:

http://www.capecodbaseball.org/Weekly/Week2004/ThisWeek/thisweek0829Robello_2004.htm

Sound more like a defensive player than he is offensive right now.

Not much power. Maybe they A's will move him to 2B because I see Crosby manning the SS position for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:08 am:

OAKLAND - Cliff Pennington (SS, Texas A&M):
A fall-back pick for the teams that couldn't nab Tulowitski and Greene. The switch-hitter is more of a gap-to-gap hitter and knows how to get on base through making contact and drawing walks. He hit .363/.453/.561 with seven HR, and a 1.48 Eye and can be a threat on the bases (29 SB) with his above average speed. His range, arm strength, and soft/quick hands make him a natural at SS, and he projects to an above average defender. He shows the athleticism to play multiple positions and should settle-in as a utility infielder.

It worries me that he is projected as a "utility infielder". Do you draft Frankie Menechino in the first round?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:33 am:

This is kind of cool....its from an artical about Cliff Pennington, on the Oakland Athletics official website.

According to Perfect Game USA, a baseball scouting report service for which Ranwsley works, there were whispers before the draft that Pennington might go as high as No. 2 overall. Instead, he was selected No. 21.

Also, Arizona State right fielder Travis Buck was Oakland's second pick (No. 36 overall), and high-school pitcher Thomas Italiano was its third (No. 53)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:36 am:

The A's just took Carney's son Jared Lansford, a RHP, with the 69th pick in the draft. Another high school pitcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:49 am:

From what I read, Lansford wants to continue hitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:08 pm:

With the #101 pick, the A's select Vincent Mazzaro, another high school RHP. WTF!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:12 pm:

Somebody put out a search party. Beane has obviously been kidnapped or killed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:20 pm:

Boy another high schooler. Maybe he has some hope in the current guys remaining with the team over the next 5-6 years. Harden-Haren-Blanton-Meyer, and then the 2 kids at double a now, Braden and Windsor, who knows about Sullivan at this point too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:47 pm:

With the #131 pick, the A's select James Shull, another RHP out of Cal Poly-SLO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 01:21 pm:

With the #161 pick, the A's select Scott Deal, another high school RHP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 01:46 pm:

With the #191 pick, the A's select Justin Sellers, a high school shortstop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:03 pm:

With the #221 pick, the A's select Kevin Bunch, yet another high school RHP.

It's official. On day one of the draft, the A's have cornered the market on right-handed pitchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:19 pm:

With the #251 pick, the A's select Jason Ray, yet another RHP from Azusa Pacific. (sigh)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:21 pm:

Will Jared Lansford show up in his San Jose Athletics uni?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:29 pm:

With the #281 pick, the A's select William Shields, a (ho hum) RHP from University Of Alabama-Tuscaloosa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:44 pm:

With the #311 pick, the A's select John Herrera a RHP (no, I'm not making this up) from Lubbock Christian University.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:49 pm:

Bizarre, truly bizarre.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:10 pm:

According to BA, the Cardinals have also followed Oakland's suit and selected several high schoolers, also outside their norm. By the way, they also selected Will Pujols, outfielder and Albert's cousin.

Frankly, I think this is simply an indication that beyond the first/second round this year's draft is significantly below most of the others over the past several years. Especially since HS pitchers are considered riskiest of all choices. Still, a good HS pitcher has more upside than an average college one, IMO, if the system is able to wait for him to mature. If you can find one diamond in the rough out of the group, it's worth the shot.

69th was pretty high to pick Lansford's son. Daddy has already said if he is not drafted as a position player he wants him to go on to SC State. Hmmm, maybe he and the A's have been talking and there's more going on there than meets the eye?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:11 pm:

Another one. With the #341 selection, the A's pick Steven Kleen, RHP from Pepperdine University.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:11 pm:

Oh, and it's quite obvious that beyond the first round, there were simply no LHPs of any significance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:23 pm:

With the #371 pick, the A's select Jeffrey Baisley, a third baseman (WHAT??) from University of South Florida.

I guess ALL of the RHPs were already gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:36 pm:

With the #401 pick, the A's select Michael Massaro, a LHP from Colorado State University-Pueblo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:47 pm:

With the #431 pick, the A's select Bradley Davis, a LHP from Lewis & Clark State College.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:51 pm:

this was definitely an anti-moneyball draft with no chairs thrown I suppose...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 04:05 pm:

With the #461 pick, the A's select Jeff Bieker an OF from Fort Hays State University.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 04:21 pm:

With the #491 pick, the A's select Justin Smoak, a high school first baseman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 04:34 pm:

With the #521 pick, the A's select Isaac Omura, a second baseman from University of Hawaii.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 04:43 pm:

With the #551 pick, the A's select Anthony Recker, a catcher from Alvernia College.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 04:58 pm:

We selected Bieker?

http://alpha.fdu.edu/psychology/beeker2.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 05:36 pm:

LOL!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:31 pm:

Yesss...I hear he plays like his hair's on fire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:55 pm:

Are Jared Lansford and daddy going to hassle?

From Baseball America:

Lansford, son of former A's third baseman Carney Lansford and played for St. Francis High on the San Francisco peninsula. Despite earlier rumors about problems with signability, Lansford said he plans to sign. "I'm definitely looking to sign," he said. "I told them that if they made it worth it, I'd give up the scholarship to Santa Clara."

There had been rumors that Lansford would only sign as an infielder, not a pitcher. However he dispelled that quickly. "They told me that if they signed me, it would be for my right arm. I guess that's what they have planned for me," he said. "I love it. Every pitch you're in the game, competing against some person. Pitching, that's the rush you get from facing every hitter." He only began pitching two seasons ago after serving exclusively as an infielder. He said his fastball has been regularly 92, occasionally hitting 94.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 08:01 am:

From all I'm reading this morning, if indeed Carney Lansford said he wanted his son to be drafted as a position player and forego the draft for college, it was likely a hedge depending upon which round he was drafted and by which club. Supposedly he is as ecstatic as son ..."I bleed Green and Gold" ... and will represent his son in negotiations with the A's, anticipating no problems.

Rumor has it that Pennington agreed to a $1.475 signing bonus within 12 hours of his selection. He grew up rooting for the A's (80's and early 90's) and the Braves. He said he is fine with the A's moving him to 2nd/3rd, though he is likely to start as a ss in the organization. Evidently, the A's were ecstatic that he was still available. They also look at him as a possible leadoff hitter with the club. Oh, and Pennington's favorite all time player? Rickey, of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 09:46 am:

So every player we sign goes to Vancouver?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 10:09 am:

Possibly some will go to Kane County, which means maybe a few of those guys (Herrera?) will move up ... maybe to High A ... Stockton, or even Midland, if there's any room. But I don't know what they have in the way of available spots at the higher levels.

It will be interesting to see whether they consider moving Dallas Braden (who just moved from Stockton to Midland) up to AAA. The guy has been pitching lights out since his season started at Stockton, not missing a beat so far at AA. Also, it seems to me that Ethier should be moved up to AAA soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 10:10 am:

We could end up with pitchers named Houston and Dallas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 10:41 am:

Yup, I already touched on that a couple weeks ago. And many think that Braden could end up in the pen. So, how about Dallas setting up for Huston? :)

By the way, BA confirms that Pennington has signed for $4.5mil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 11:44 am:

4.5 million, for a player who may never ever play
an inning of MLB. MLB needs to reign in the $$ given to draftees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 01:04 pm:

"MLB needs to reign in the $$ given to draftees."

Uhh, didn't the illustrious commish, already try that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 01:56 pm:

Geez, I said it, rocket repeated it. And I STILL didn't catch it! A slight error folks, that should be $1.45mil! :( Where's sacto when I need him? :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 03:36 pm:

The A's have passed in the 40th Round, and are ineligible to participate in the remainder of the draft. There are a total of 50 rounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 09:33 pm:

What, there weren't any more RHP's in high school available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:59 am:

They also selected Matt Keough's son, a shortstop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 02:15 am:

Great start off for Pennington.

http://athletics.scout.com/2/391787.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 11:32 am:

Hey guys! I saw Clifton Pennington play last Friday at Kane County. I posted my little report in Off-Field Matters, BTW.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.