Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

That's more like it

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: That's more like it
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:01 pm:

You know I was getting used to this team being bad and then they go a win a few and score a few runs and I start thinking...........but really this is more like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:13 pm:

Once again just no run support for Zito.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:26 pm:

Team is no different from the last two years in one way and that is they are substantially worse team on the road than at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 09:02 pm:

I believe that is 9 consecutive they've lost on the road, is it not? And it doesn't get any better, tomorrow they get Loiaza (spelling?) followed by Hernandez.

Has anyone else noticed that Kielty does not appear to be very fast at all? Or am I seeing things? Running to first tonite it appeared he was not running hard. The ball that dropped in left, again it appeared he was not running hard. I don't mean he's dogging it, he just doesn't seem very fast. Seems he did have a quad injury or some such recently, maybe that's why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 09:17 pm:

Kielty tweaked his groin last week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:33 pm:

So naturally Macha plays him anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By snax on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:20 pm:

1 frickin' run. Sigh. Hopefully they'll do better tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 07:34 am:

How have we hit Livan in the past? Is he really that good? I remember him being shaky for the GNATS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 08:02 am:

If the A's come anywhere close to a .500 record against the NL east, then I say it'll be a successful interleague year.

The NL east is stacked and the A's rule on the NL, at least for this year, probably won't happen.

As for yesterday's game, you had to expect that. The A's are one of the worst road teams in MLB, don't know though.

Face it, when you put in 3 relatively young players in your lineup everyday with Crosby, Swisher and DJ; you would expect more offensive outputs like this as the year goes on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 12:03 pm:

Couple more games like last night, and Sacto will
return to posting. He has taken a leave during
the terrific homestand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 03:05 pm:

when i first saw this post, i thought for sure it was sacto! come on people, how about a little more positivity?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 04:58 pm:

Kielty, to me, looks like he cut his hair. A huge mistake. Just like Sampson...his power is gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 05:40 pm:

damn, why can't we just come back and beat this crappy NL team? (ok, they aren't so crappy, but we rule against the NL!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 07:25 pm:

"we rule against the NL"

Really? That's past tense; this is a different ... offensiveless ... team. Also, there's nothing shabby about this Nationals team ... nothing like woebegones Cincy/Pitt of last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 08:16 pm:

A's now clock in at 39 games worse on the road than at home since 2003.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 09:24 pm:

Watching the Royals/Gnats, it ticks me off that we gave up 2 decent players, Wood and Teahen, for Dr. Dotel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By snax on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 11:20 pm:

Dr. Dotel? :grin:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:50 am:

Well, it appears "Dr. Dotel" may have known better than all the doctors. No doubt he'll come back with someone next year and possibly within two years be throwing 100mph. Seems like a number of pitchers with TJ surgery, eventually realize increased velocity. Oh, in case you missed it, after surgery, the doctor told Dotel he made the right decision (the mri did not reveal the severity of the problem) and could even possibly be ready by '06 ST. Dr. Andrews removed two large calcifications. Dotel asked him if he did the right thing (having surgery) and the doctor told him he did. He also said, "you were throwing 93-94 mph before, now you'll be really good."

Dotel is not happy with all the criticism surrounding his decision. I don't blame him. Once again, people don't know another's pain threshold and in the end, it appears to have been more than that and it seems he did know better than the doctors because of what he was experiencing.

This is just not a good season for the A's all the way around. We won't even realize a return on Dotel. And we'll likely get nothing for Hatteberg or Durazo, either. Not to mention the number of injuries in our lower system. Like a snowball going downhill.

As for Wood and Teahen, I doubt they would have stayed with the A's, anyway. Over the long haul they may be good average players or they may be decent journeymen players, or they may be better. But their chances of never being dealt are small and slim, IMO. Hindsight is always great, but I can't fault Beane for that deal at all. And if it hadn't been for Dotel, this team would have finished faaaar more than one game out last season. Deals are a gamble. See Jeremy Bonderman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:21 am:

Well, I was one that didn't pass judgement on "Dr. Dotel"... maybe because I myself wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't gone against a couple of doctors opinion a few years ago....but that's another story...

Maybe Dotel will do what he told the A's and play
for free or for a huge discount after he recovers. He did say he wouldn't even mind being the set up guy for Street.

I like the way he thinks and I admire him for sticking for what he felt was right against so much criticism.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:25 am:

I want to see if he lives up to his word first. If four doctors told you surgery could cost you 1-2 years, would you at least TRY rehab for a month first? What's an extra month when you're talking about 1-2 YEARS?

Look, I've had major problems with my back, ankles and wrist from playing sports. Thankfully, I've been able to avoid surgery so far. So I do kind of get where he's coming from. I don't begrudge a guy for wanting the knife. But he should feel some sense of obligation to live up to his end of the bargain and at least TRY rehab. If after a month it doesn't work, then get the knife and no one will say a bad word about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:33 am:

big3, he was doing the A's no favors by blowing save after save and he was missing a ligament and
unable to throw his slider...he probably knew no amount of rehab would grow a missing ligament nor make the calcification disappear.

It is a little different from a back problem which strengthening the muscles can support the column and help prevent a herniation of discs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:49 am:

No, you're right, pitching ineffectively is a waste of everyone's time. But if four doctors tell me to try rehab first, I'm not gonna pretend I know more than them. Unless it's Kaiser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 12:29 pm:

Unless it's Kaiser.

lol! guess what? the two docs I didn't listen to were from Kaiser...even though I'm sure there are some good and some bad at Kaiser.

The big issue in not listening to some team doctors is the same reason and issue for not listening to HMO doctors. The issue and problem is that these doctors have the interest of the place they work for ahead of the interest of the patients. These team doctors are pressured to come up with solutions to first benefit the team and secondly the player/patient. The same as the pressure the HMO docs have to come up with the most cost effective solution, even if in detriment to the patient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 12:49 pm:

His slider is his bread and butter pitch; he could no longer throw it. Only he knows what kind of pain he endured. If it was bad enough (have to assume it was) he did what he felt he had to do. It turns out the MRI did not give a true picture of the problem; the MRI is what caused the doctors to believe surgery may not be successful and that's why they suggested rehab. Guess nothing is perfect ... not even MRIs ... in the field of medicine.

I'm glad for Dotel. He guessed right. And he gambled a lot by having the surgery.

"He should feel some sense of obligation to live up to his end of the bargain."

How do you know he didn't? It seems rather apparent by doing this and having no contract beyond this year, it was a huge gamble. It seems to me he felt he couldn't "live up to his end of the bargain" as things were, feeling strongly he would not be able to pitch up to the level expected. It's hard to believe one would otherwise duck out on their end of a bargain to the extreme of undergoing the knife. You may feel you'd go with the doctors' recs ... as many of us would, me included. He obviously felt his body was telling him otherwise. Looks like he was right, which is what matters.

I certainly do agree with you about Kaiser, however, based upon my step-father's experience many years ago. Unfortunately, he never lived to tell about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:07 pm:

I believe "keeping his end of the bargain" entails doing what is necessary to contribute to the team. I believe in this particular situation that means at least attempting rehab. I don't think it's as cut (no pun intended) and dried as pitch in pain or get the surgery. If rehab didn't work, then by all means undergo surgery. It's not like the rehab would have prevented him from getting surgery.

If you're supposed to be out 1-2 years, what's the significant difference between surgery now and surgery a month from now, if the latter means there's a chance that rehab could be effective?

Also, just because it may have turned out that he was "right", it doesn't mean he acted properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:08 pm:

MRI is just a tool and a pretty damn good tool compared to what they had to work with twenty years ago. But like any tool, it is only as good as the ones using that tool. And it is meant to be just a factor in the complexity of a diagnosis.

What some people forget, including many doctors, is that the most valuable tool our body has to show us what's wrong, which should not be masked or forgotten when making a diagnosis, is pain.

I think Dotel did what doctors did many years ago when there were no scans or sophisticated tools, he listened to his body and to his pain.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.