Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's interested in lefty pitcher Joe Kennedy?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's interested in lefty pitcher Joe Kennedy?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:01 am:

This rumor first surfaced about a week ago. Today's Denver Post is saying A's have been calling about the 26yr. old pitcher and are suddenly intrigued.

"Colorado would be seeking to fill multiple needs with a bullpen arm like prospect Jairo Garcia and probably a major league outfielder.

The Rockies are intrigued enough about Oakland's calls they are expected to scout the Athletics Triple-A team in the coming days."

Well, the one problem with Kennedy right now, is that righties are hitting about .360 against him.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_2791827

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:29 am:

And once again Brynes is included in every trade
rumor.

>>>Now, if anyone's interested in DH/first baseman Erubiel Durazo or outfielder Eric Byrnes, a phone call to Beane may do it.<<<

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columnist/nightengale/2005-06-08-majors_x.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:57 am:

Yes, Byrnes' name was also mentioned in the Denver Post article. Frankly, if the A's were to give up Byrnes and Garcia, I would wish to have it be for Jason Jennings over Kennedy. But I'm sure the Rockies would want more. Maybe they'd also take Kielty in the deal. Or how about Watson? I think Byrnes, Garcia, Watson would be a fair deal for Jennings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 09:21 am:

The Rockies front office is a mess, but I would
not trade Jennings. Pitching in Colo has messed
up the minds of many veteran pitchers, Jennings
seems to handle pitching there quite well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 09:45 am:

Byrnes would thrive in Colorado. All of his pop-ups would be HRs there. That means that he would hit 120 HRs/season at Coors Field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:20 am:

Why do you guys like Jason Jennings? His ERA is almost 6, doesn't strike out a lot of guys, and it's not like he even pitches well on the road. Check out his splits. He had one good year in 2002. I wouldn't give away Byrnes, Garcia and Watson for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:24 am:

well, some folks are just desperate to get rid of Byrnes...they'll trade him for a bag of popped popcorn (pop pun intended)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:36 pm:

True about Jason Jennings. But I also can't see offering up a bundle for Kennedy either. Unless they can fix his lofty numbers against righties. But I haven't checked his splits to see whether most of that comes in Coors Field. Anyway, all rumors at this point.

And I'm not desperate to get rid of Byrnes, lil, his name just keeps popping up in all these "rumored" deals. In fact, it's become automatic to include his name with any team interested in an outfielder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 02:28 pm:

Kennedy was a prized guy back in his TB days...he just didn't make things happen.

But I read two things that scare me here:

1. why the hell would we give up a big prospect AND a guy like Watson/byrnes/kielty for a pitcher who hasn't done shit yet?

2. why are we so interested? Is harden's injury worse? Do we really need a huge upgrade at our 5th pitcher slot?? To me, we could be upgrading a bit more somewhere else? Or atlast upgrade at manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 03:18 pm:

hey dj, I didn't single you out in my comment re Byrnes....as you even mentioned, his name pops up in every deal so my comment was indeed generalized to say the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 07:16 pm:

Lil, I realized ... or thought anyway ... your comment was geared more toward every media article re trades including Byrnes' name. I was just clarifying my thoughts.

Besides, we're talking Kennedy/Jennings ... pitchers rather than offensive help. Truth is, if these guys were Cy Young candidates it wouldn't matter. Even great pitchers require some runs to work with now and then. :( But I would guess ... if the rumors have any validity ... that BB is thinking of the future. If Meyer doesn't come around by next season, well, this team can't continue to exist on a 5th starter of Etherton, Saarloos, Glynn. And that's assuming Blanton can halfway meet expectations by then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 09:53 pm:

I think Saarloos has been a more than acceptable 5th Starter.

The A's might be looking at Kennedy as a stopgap Starter this year (to replace the Etherton/Glynns) with an eye to putting him in the pen long term.

I know he's hurt currently, but what does the lefty Reinecker have to do to get a look from the big club?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By naomi on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:24 pm:

thank goodness that Lil and DJ got that whole mixup all worked out...thought we were going to have a big problem there--and that you two might need therapy...but thank goodness that you were both honest and forthcoming so that there were not any misunderstandings whatsoever...

that was a close one...

vulnerability is gooood!!

a WIN for friendship!! wooo hooo!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 03:40 am:

With a few exceptions, I think all these pitchers are auditioning for the future. Last week the "organization" put out the word that they want pitchers who can pitch into the very late innings. So they bring these guys up for a cup of coffee and send them down to develop their arm strength etc...the injured ones have to rehab and get into shape to audition again...

As far as the position players, particularly in the outfield, the A's are in deep trouble if for some reason Kotsay is seriously hurt or can't renew for next year. I don't see any of the present guys, including Swisher as an outfielder in a contending team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 04:19 am:

Maybe Byrnes' name keeps popping up in trade rumors because the rest of MLB recognizes that Eric is not getting a fair shake under Billy Beane's watch and that Byrnes would likely flourish on a team that treats him with respect and actually allows him some consistent at bats.

I think it's disgraceful the way the A's treat Byrnes and I hope Beane trades Byrnes and gets byrned in the process. It would serve BB right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 04:51 am:

There are guys on the A's team under-performing, starting with the field manager, who keep receiving public displays of support from BB for supposedly a job well done when the stats and results show otherwise.

The interesting thing in all of this is the reaction of many fans and media who react to BB's statements and moods with cult-like reaction.

BB is an excellent GM...he may not always be right and is hardly ever wrong, BUT he is human and he does have a way of doing things that at times comes back to bite him...as seen in the book moneyball.

Put me down as one who feel there is no need to treat Byrnes like he is being treated and I agree it is disgraceful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 10:32 am:

Even the cordial Ray Fosse praises Macha. I know he is susposed to but he does not realy have to. Yeah, sure he can not make critical remarks but he does not have to heap praise on him.

Like I have said before I disdain the Giants but I hope Byrnes end up there next season and rakes right under Beane's nose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 10:52 am:

All the names mentioned heretofore in trade rumors all have one thing in common: mediocrity. Of course, since the A's efforts to date fall far short of mediocrity, I guess they represent some meager form of improvement.

Hatteberg and Kielty will never be dealt as they are sacred Beaney babies. Byrnes will be gone by July because he doesn't put up with Macha Manura.

Right now, the team is in shambles. Offense is atrocious and pitching is going downhill. I don't see any significant recovery in 2005. As for 2006, we have the additional question as to what city's name will be on the A's road unis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:38 am:

Talks of acquiring Kennedy have cooled, Byrnes and
Jairo for Kennedy?

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_2798616

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 05:45 am:

that's WAY too much for kennedy....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 01:43 pm:

If Byrnes played at Coors, he could be a 30 hr guy but I just don't see him being part of the A's in the future. Whether that's because he never is a Beane type player or that he still hasn't learned not to chase that breaking stuff down/away.

Byrnes is a great energy player but he can hurt you big time with both his bat and glove. I was a huge critic of Byrnes from the very start because honestly I didn't think he was a full time player but he has changed my mind the past few years by the way he has carried the A's for a few weeks or month with his bat.

With Swisher, Kotsay if he signs and maybe a hot shot rookie coming up like Robnett in a year or two; I doubt Byrnes will be here in August.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 05:51 am:

Month? more than that my friend...

I love byrnes, but he messes up sometimes.
But for every bad dive, nobody mentions the ones from Swish. Seems if you were a Moneyball draftee, you get a pass on the flames.

Let's be realistic here, Byrnes doesn't cost us any more than any other struggling player we have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 07:21 am:

Swisher's outfield play is way below average. His dives are frankly amateurish (his D is as bad as Byrne's but at least Byrnes catches most of those balls he dives for)and Swisher has no arm to speak of...he needs coaching but of course, like many of Beane's players, he has a future with the A's because he has a hitting upside.

Byrnes is what he is and should be used accordingly to be effective... he has contributed more than he has hurt the team with his shortcomings. But he's worn out his welcome with the organization and should be traded for the good of all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 08:51 am:

The A's seem to be going back to having players
play positions they are not suited to play, but
want their bats in the lineup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:06 am:

Besides Swisher name one player who would benefit from a position change and with him there currently isn't room at 1st to play him everyday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:13 am:

Ginter should be a dh, his glove is weak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:19 am:

Definitely Ginter...and besiders Swisher, I don't think Thomas or Kielty are good outfielders either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 04:26 pm:

rumors again? I don't get this...why o why?

"http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_2854653"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.