Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

According to E in O, Matt Watson has been called up

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: According to E in O, Matt Watson has been called up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 12:26 pm:

and in Washington, as we speak. Since they were right on this call last time have no reason to disbelieve.

Also, another note on their site: Trade front has been ominous so we'll just have to wait another 90 minutes.

I suppose the inference is Watson could be replacing someone being dealt. Other than that, I would suspect one of two things: Thomas is going down; Kotsay is going on DL. Yuk, perish that last thought.

Course, they could also be sending Glynn down ... I guess especially if they're dealing for a pitcher? One thing for sure, this team may be boring on the field, but there sure seems to be enough activity this year to peak our interest once in awhile. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 12:31 pm:

I'm guessing Thomas has been sent down. Along with Kotsay's back, Kielty has been banged up of late. They desperately need a better fill in outfielder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 12:38 pm:

Pardon my ignorance but who is E and O?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 12:54 pm:

Elephants In Oakland site, lil. Evidently someone there has a close relationship with either the Cats and/or Watson. Their site was the first to state Watson was called up the last time and was right on the money. No other confirmation at this point, (like the last time) however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:04 pm:

Well, now I'm hearing Chas. Thomas has been optioned to Sacto. Disclaimer: Still no confirmation on all this, but I still believe it to be true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:15 pm:

thanks dj, I just didn't make the connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:21 pm:

Rotoworld confirms Thomas down, Watson up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:22 pm:

Hmmm... E and O is professional liability (errors and omissions), Lil. Been litigating lately?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:29 pm:

"E and O is professional liability"

Yes, but, this was E in O. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 01:48 pm:

well this is so long overdue (sending down Thomas) that it's ridiculous! I'm happy to see Watson get another chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 02:04 pm:

Now it's official:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
June 9, 2005

Athletics Recall Outfielder Matt Watson

Option OF Charles Thomas to Triple-A Sacramento

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Oakland Athletics announced prior to tonight’s game the club has recalled outfielder Matt Watson from Triple-A Sacramento and optioned outfielder Charles Thomas to Sacramento.

This marks Watson’s second stint with Oakland this season. He was first recalled on May 14 and batted .190 (4-21) with three RBI, three runs scored, two walks and two strikeouts in eight games, including five starts all in left field. He was then optioned back to Sacramento on May 25th.

Watson was batting .344 with eight home runs and 32 RBI in 47 games at Triple-A Sacramento this season. In his last three games at Sacramento, Watson was 6-11 with eight RBI, including going 3-4 with two home runs and six RBI in the first game of a doubleheader Tuesday night in Salt Lake City.

Thomas had been with the club since Opening Day but had appeared in just 30 games (12 starts) and was batting .109 (5-46) with five walks and eight strikeouts. He had appeared in 10 of the last 20 games but was just 1-7 over that span and was 1 for his last 12 (.083) at the plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 02:24 pm:

So this begs the question:

We had thomas up and he wasn't playing much. Does the team send thomas down cause:
1. he sucked when he played
2. to get him continuous ab's

Then, in addition, will watson have steady playing time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 02:53 pm:

I don't think Thomas could raise enough money for the GI relief fund that Zito started!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 03:01 pm:

I think the reason why Thomas was not sent down when Swisher was activated was because at the time they didn't need a 5th outfielder who could hit, they needed one to be a defensive sub and pinch run. Now with Kotsay and Kielty hurting they need a 5th outfielder who can hit and fill in as starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 03:10 pm:

A little off topic, but doesn anyone know why Saarloos isn't starting anymore?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 03:44 pm:

re: saarloos, not exactly sure, but I know Macha said the pitcher who gives them the most innings is gonna pitch. I guess kirk had a couple not so great outings? So they they tried etherton? then on to Glynn. Not sure who is next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 04:41 pm:

Sure took them long enough to realize that Thomas
needed to go down and get consistent at bats to
try and break out of his slump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 06:26 pm:

Saarloos is a 50 pitch wonder. He'd make a great middle reliever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 06:57 pm:

Saarloos is scheduled to pitch either Friday or Saturday against the Braves. I believe he is going Saturday against Smoltz. Think I heard Haren is going tomorrow nite. Zito is definitely going Sunday.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.