Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Who was the tobacco chewin' National?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Who was the tobacco chewin' National?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 09:58 pm:

There was a National player in the dugout who was just stuffing his mouth with chewing tobacco.For baseball players to do these "be responsible" commercials regarding drugs, then showing this? My kid couldn't believe it.
Nice of us to wake up near the end of the game, a little late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 11:13 pm:

That was Nick Johnson. One of the hottest players in the NL. Many players use chew to relax. MLB does not ban its use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 04:38 am:

Dorrit, lots of baseball players still chew and dip. One of our own players (Kendall) always has that fat bottom lip stuffed with dip. I dip about once a day. Is it bad for you? Absolutely. Is it their choice to use the LEGAL product. Yes. Should the camera man have pulled away from that shot. Yes. It set up a perfect opportunity to talk to your kid about the harms of smokeless tabacco. Its great that MLB players do positive commercials. You shouldnt judge someones morals or attitude on whether or not they use tobacco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 04:47 am:

no, but you can judge their level of intelligence :-)

tobacco use = cancer

killed two people in my family i loved a lot. if you don't know that it causes cancer and kills, then you are living in a cave.

it's not good for ballplayers - who kids admire - to be using this at games. if they are nervous they should have to do what i do at my job when i am giving a lecture and nervous - curl up their toes!

actually i think using tobacco is like natural selection. kind of akin to not wearing your seatbeat, crossing the road without looking, etc.

'nuff said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:23 am:

Take it easy RFF. Level of intelligence?
Tobacco is an addiction, like drugs and alcohol can be. I know a few alcholics who are very intelligent, I have been a smoker (Recently now trying to quit) for many years and I think I am pretty intelligent. Do I know it's not good for me? Of course I do - but it's an ADDICTION which means quitting is NOT easy. I probably wouldn't even have had the ability to try and quit if it weren't for my son being born - that gave me some ammo. But it's not easy.

People get introduced to things in various ways - I drink alcohol and have for a while - but I have NEVER been addicted. And to add to that, I was a professional traveling musician, in and out of bars several days a week, but again, never got addicted to alcohol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:26 pm:

yeah - but addiction is never an excuse for anything. sure, i drink alcohol - a considerable amount of scientific research has demonstrated that it can be greatly beneficial to your health (e.g., red wine) - but when it comes to tobacco, there are zero health benefits, and an addiction is never an excuse for anything. sure, tobacco is legal (although its usage is becoming more and more restricted) - but think of this, if smoking isn't allowed in the seating/playing area, why should chew be? ok, when you chew you're not exhaling a dangerous cloud of smoke that is filled with various nitrosamines/mutagens, but as a baseball player, you're giving young people the wrong message. why can't they just chew gum, and blow bubbles? :-)

some resources on the dangers:

http://www.floss.com/kids_unaware_of_dangers_of_chewi.htm

http://www.quittobacco.com/quitmail/

http://www.mintsnuff.com/

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/sgr/sgr_2004/sgranimation/flash/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:33 pm:

This article and interview with Joe Garagiola is a must read on smokeless tobacco in MLB

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=1525D00B-65A2-4371-ADD50B28E4FBB7D5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:35 pm:

I forgot that one, Lil! That is a great article. Thanks for "pitching" in with your health expertise!

so how many of our A's are known to chew?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:37 pm:

most smokers seem to me to become so in the middle school (junior high school) years. It is an addiction that has been scientifically characterized as harder to break than heroin.

the thing that has worked has been getting up front and personal with kids in that age group. this has been a multi-generation effort that HAS had a lot of success lowering the tobacco use rate in this country. I'm 52, and as far back as the 5th grade I was shown an anti-tobacco very graphic film, showing folks who'd had their throats removed due to cancer still being so addicted as to hold the ciggarette up to their exposed wind pipe. It made an impact on me, and I'm a non-smoker.

I agree that chew should be banned while a player is visable in uniform. It send the wrong message right to that vunerable age group.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:56 pm:

I agree with all of that.

Even when I was a smoker, if anyone asked me to put it out, even in a place I was allowed to smoke, I did. I am glad it is becoming more restricted and I think if the made cigarettes more expensive by taxing the shit out of it, I think that may help a bit - or if nothing else, put some more money into research in helping to quit, cure cancer etc etc etc

Smokless tobacco isn't illegal in the ballpark as far as I know. I agree I don't think that the players should be using while on the field. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any rules against tobacco - it's smoking they are banning.

Also, our boy Swish looks to be a user too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.