Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Review of A's draft

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Review of A's draft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 01:26 pm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=citadel-2_386451_304&prov=citadel&type=story

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 02:11 am:

I still can't believe they took 10 RHP in their first 13 picks. I mean, I'm not complaining or any thing, but it just seems a little strange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 08:43 am:

The reason I don't think it seems strange is because this was not exactly a great ... or good ... draft. All the decent college players were pretty much gone by the 2nd round. The name of the game is still pitching and they need to rebuild in that area. Never know when you'll find another diamond in the rough (Tim Hudson was a 6th round pick). That may be a stretch, but even so, they had the picks so they went with (mostly) the high school pitchers they felt have some upside. What's to lose?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:42 am:

I have a different take. I think all the talk about how the A's like drafting polished college players because they need less development time and are more likely to succeed (albeit with less upside than the young superstar talent you might find) has rubbed off on a lot of other teams, especially when they see the success we've had in the last 5-6 years developing young talent. A likelihood to succeed is vital when you're shelling out millions of dollars to sign a player without a single professional AB.

Thus, the rest of the league has now "overvalued" college players, and particularly shied away from young pitchers in the early rounds, notoriously the most likely to flame out. So BB takes advantage and starts picking up younger, high-ceiling prospects that possibly should/would have gone much higher in previous drafts. He's just taking advantage of the market trends and shifts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:50 am:

I agree with your take too, bigthree; in fact, some of the "experts" are saying the same thing. I think it is a combination and I think this draft pool made the shift easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:17 am:

I don't think its strange that we took 10 pitchers in the first 13 picks....its that they are all RHP. Maybe there just weren't any good LHP available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 06:55 am:

I think, in the end, they selected like 4-5 left handed pitchers. They have already signed 3 that I know of ... 14th, 26th and 29th round picks. One of them from San Jose State.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 11:33 am:

Best available is what I think. Plus there is probably a need for starters in 5-6 years when Harden first, then Haren and Blanton reach free agency. Though I do hope we get to see Harden and Street in an A uniform long past their free agency year. I think our position players are pretty much set for the next 5 years. Chavez, Crosby, eventually Quintanilla(maybe Morrissey), Johnson, Barton, behind the dish, Landon Powell, Suzuki, Jeremy Brown and Baker. OF, Swisher, Herrera, Ethier, Putnam, Robnett. We've built up our position players over the past 2-3 drafts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.