Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Holy Toledo! Chavez speaks!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Holy Toledo! Chavez speaks!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 08:27 am:

From Susan Slusser:

A's third baseman did something he has never done before. He stood up on the team bus in Washington on Thursday night and told his teammates they needed to get their acts together.

"When Eric speaks, everyone is going to listen," Oakland second baseman Mark Ellis said, "He commands respect from everyone and should - this is his team."

For the rest of the article:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/06/11/SPGTUD784R1.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:18 am:

Chavvy was a leader by example on the field. Now, he has step up to the plate and said something. Even Royals fans would love to see Mike Sweeney to do the same thing in their team bus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:20 am:

This is nice to see.
I think it means more coming from Chavez than other players who talk incessantly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:48 am:

It's nice to see - but at the same time, it's hilarious. Now he's stepping up and saying he doesn't like what he sees?? Now that he's hitting. I haven't liked what I have seen from him for most of the year! I wish someone told him that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 10:08 am:

Well, he should step up. He's the A's player with the longest amount of seniority on the team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 10:22 am:

Hopefully, Chavey will provide some inspiration to this very flat team. It certainly won't come from their manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:39 pm:

Any thoughts who he might have been referring to as the young guys who aren't caring enough?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:44 pm:

Marty Lurie speculated that it might have been Blanton and Swisher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:06 am:

or maybe he glanced at his own image on a mirror?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:33 pm:

nice to see chavvy back it up today, going 5 for 5 with two big bombs.

wow we needed a road offensive outburst like that!

nice to see Zito finally get a win from a decent outing!

how about the duke bouncing back today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:58 pm:

I appreciate that Macha let duke pitch today - he got roughed up yesterday and we don't want him losing confidence...with this SP staff, we need long relief, we need the duke. May have been the best move all year for "Caca".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 06:34 pm:

Are all you Chavez detractors back on his bandwagon now??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 07:14 pm:

Chavez is heating up, hope that this hot streak
lasts a long as his cold streak

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 07:20 pm:

I am not a detractor, I have mainly pointed out that the guy has said he wanted to be a "leader" and he really isn't much of a leader. Yeah, he can talk on the team bus, and it's good he's hitting, but he's no leader and I think we can all agree on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 07:45 pm:

If Chavez continues this pace, he'll defenitely be the A's all star represtative.

Wouldn't be surprised by the break, Chavez will be around .275-.280, 15-20 hrs, and close to 50 RBIs.

My god, if he even approaches those #s, I can only have imagined what Chavez would be producing if he stops his early season struggles in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 04:01 am:

Chavez has been a streak hitter so far in his career and at the end of the year, his total numbers don't tell the true story of his true contribution to the team.

I just hope he shortens the gap between his hot and cold streaks or finds a way to stay warm during times the team needs him. And I hope even more that he doesn't start using the Coliseum as the reason for his cold streaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 11:15 am:

I think one of the younger kids is Swisher, you look at his numbers 35 strikeouts and 13 walks. This was a Moneyball guy, takes pitches, very selective, that stat is no indicative of that. He had a slow start 23 K's in April. During the Braves series, he walked 3 times and strikeout only twice, it's a start and it's encouraging, hopefully it kick starts something. I think Swish took it easy because things came easy for him prior to this year, now that he got a kick in the pants, hopefully it makes him a pro and possibly a ROY candidate.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.