Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

The least Black team

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: The least Black team

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 03:25 pm:

I think this racial representation issue needs to be addressed and spelled out correctly if one is going to discuss the matter seriously.

First of all, hispanic and/or latino is not a race but an ethnic group that speaks spanish or a latin language. There are hispanics with african ancestry just like the african north americans. And there are hispanics/latinos with
caucasian ancestry just like the north americans with caucasian ancestry.
And there are the mix race hispanics/latinos in
north/south/central americas.

So, what I am trying to say is that Tejada then should be thought of as African Dominican and
Ruben Sierra African Porto Rican and so forth...
Durazo and Scutaro appear to be of caucasian ancetry...and of course we know that mixed race is predominant is central america. (mixed with african and native dark skin i.e. the american native)

What I believe happened in baseball that has changed the representation of players is the recruiting of players from central and south america. Recruiting used to take place in inner cities of America and now it is done either at college level or outside the US.

Billy Beane doesn't go out and recruit players, he drafts them from a pool of players.

PS: and then there are the brazilians...they're not hispanic (not spanish speaking) but latino
(portuguese is a latin language)...
but not to worry because brazilians don't play baseball :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 03:39 pm:

Hey Lil,

Totally off subject, but I started learning Portuguese a few weeks ago...Need to be able to communicate with the in-laws ya know....

As far as race relations in sports go.........How is it that a white sports reporter is commenting on this....If he was REALLY concerned about bay area race/sports percentages...Shouldn't he be worried that the predominantly black city of Oakland, is getting most of their sports info, from stuffy old white men????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 03:54 pm:

Hi Vinnie, boa noite para voce.

PS: Monte Poole is an African American. But he hasn't done his homework or he wouldn't be singling out tne A's. This is a MLB issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 03:54 pm:

Ummmm . . . hate to rain on your parade, Vin, but Monte Poole is black!!! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 03:56 pm:

Oops, sorry, d-lil beat me to it!

Hey, even slug Selig has admitted this is an MLB issue.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050329&content_id=979823&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 04:52 pm:

damn....ok, ive been punked....I thought Poole was the old white guy....who am I thinking of?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 04:53 pm:

Carl Steward?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 04:58 pm:

Actually, probably Dave Newhouse. Steward isn't that old. See pics here. (Exciting, eh?)

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sportscolumnists

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 05:55 pm:

old guy? probably good ol dickey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:44 pm:

oaktown,
i'm not advocating we sign blacks. of course the color of their skin doesn't matter. it's just a simple observation that you have an all-white team playing in a predominantly black neighborhood. We'd be remiss not to address it.

DOn't get too worked up I'm not on some afirmative action agenda.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:49 pm:

keep in mind that monte poole reps oakland for life (Castlemont high I believe) so he's going to be sensitive on the issue. It's predictable that Poole would address this issue, but then again, if he didn't, who would?

Ultimately, Lil's right. THe lack of African American representation in the game is at issue. It's just how it goes. Things have changed a lot though in a short period of time. I remember in the 80s you had tons of african american players.

I don't think MLB is necessarily doing something wrong, it might just be that Basketball and Football do a better job of marketing to African Americans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samk on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 09:22 am:

OKP. I think you've hit it on the head.

Youngsters appear to be more attracted to football and basketball. Marketing for those sports has been better. I think baseball's loss with African Americans (v Afro-Latinos) has been football's gain, as you see the emergence of more black quarterbacks, coaches, etc. in football.

Meanwhile. Baseball has become increasingly Latin, and Asian, all of which I enjoy.

I would be interested in giving Wash a chance to manage, but I dont assume he would be so much better than Howe or Macha. Managing is a whole different animal v. coaching. And as a manager he wouldnt get to teach as much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 09:32 am:

So I guess because Monte is subtly racist towards whitey he needs more blacks on the Athletics roster so he will feel more comfortable about cheering for the A's?

Look I cheer for a player regardless of the color of their skin. I am for guy's who are good citizens and good players.

My business partner is African-American he is football first then basketball, baseball does not even register on his radar. His 12 y/o son plays the aforementioned sports but not baseball. I don't think it's because my partner would not let him, it's just that his parental influence is not directed towards baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 01:41 pm:

It was Glen Dickey that I was thinking of...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:33 pm:

washfan, easy there. You may be reading more into this issue. Poole's making a fair observation, he's not on some conspiracy theorist tip. (At least not on this article.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 08:59 pm:

"oaktown,
i'm not advocating we sign blacks. of course the color of their skin doesn't matter. it's just a simple observation that you have an all-white team playing in a predominantly black neighborhood. We'd be remiss not to address it.

DOn't get too worked up I'm not on some afirmative action agenda."

okplayer, Oakland is one of the most diverse cities in the US and the A's have one of the most diverse teams in MLB with players from 6 countries on it which don't include the US which would make it 7.

Yes, it would be nice to have a player that is black to represent a good part of the city's population but if for one season there aren't any black players, there shouldn't be a big deal.

Jermaine Dye
Terrance Long
Arthur Rhodes
Billy McMillion
Chris Singleton
Charles Thomas

It's not like the A's haven't had african american ballplayers on this team and be looked upon as key contributors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 10:46 am:

oaktown, you've officially missed the point. It isn't a big deal, it's just something worth noting. No racism, no conspiracy theory, just an observation about this years team. It's not a condemnation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 02:21 pm:

I think we need a filipino left handed midget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 03:27 pm:

I agree okplayer, it shouldn't be a big deal but I think Poole didn't need to write an article about it. If you know what's happening with the status of young african americans and the major decrease in them playing baseball for the past decade really, you would expect many teams to not have a player that was black on their team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 03:45 pm:

I think Poole should be comended for pointing out the "issue". But I think it's not something that should be blown out of porportion. No, the A's don't have any black players right now, but who really cares? It's about the performance and how good the team blends together. Poole failed to mention how overly represented blacks are in the NBA, in particular the Warriors who have some other races but are mostly black. The Raiders as well have a decent number of black players.

I think the current MLBrace "issue" is just reflective of America in a sense that, if you go to predominantly black cities such as Oakland, Detroit, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago etc. (whom all have MLB teams) you will see way more basketball courts than baseball fields, plain and simple. I don't think that baseball scouters are looking for a particular ethnicity, I just think that more blacks, are more prone to play basketball than baseball. It's easily proved by just looking at the demographics of the MLB and NBA. So to use the word "Racist" is absurd. Another thing, Yes Oakland is predominantly black with almost 40% of the residents being of African-American decent, but I don't think we should make the A's an All Black team just because they play in a basically all black neighborhood. I'm sure if any of you went to these predominantly black neighborhoods and ask the residents, they wouldn't care that there is not an all black player on the A's, they just love the A's because the A's are their home team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 08:23 am:

I would like to believe that to be true fasho510.

I don't care if we had a team of penguins or horses.

Read "My Kingdom for Jones" by Wilbur Schramm. It's a short story worth reading, as is the entire book I found the story in. "Joy In Mudville, The Big Book of Baseball Humor (See below).

http://www.biblio.com/books/23337974.html

Focusing on color or race is a mistake and a detour away from what matters.

Look for performance, character, potential and leadership qualities. Look for the ability to lift and inspire others.

These things come in all colors, sexes, shapes, sizes and dialects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 03:05 pm:

I know he's a big favorite of Deajay, but leave it to Marcos Breton to piss on an otherwise great party...

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13219174p-14062079c.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:22 pm:

interesting article here about African Americans in baseball:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=knight-_WWW_SPRT_2002454324_blac&prov=knight&type=lgns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:29 pm:

Well, Freddie Bynam is here so that makes it two African American ballplayers on the A's with the other one Payton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samk on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 09:49 am:

RFF.

Great article and I think it hits the nail on the head. Bsktball and football are now the cool sports to most black youth.

It's sort of a momentum thing now. The more blacks going that way, the more you see on TV, it feeds itself.

Baseball needs more young phenom type black players, not unlike a Dontrelle Willis, and market the hell out of them. Outreach with the stars would also be great.

Otherwise, I have a feeling that Baseball will make a comeback in the black comunity, but may take a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 09:54 am:

Very interesting background and quotes from Billy North and Dave Henderson!

BTW, Non-Hispanic blacks comprise 12 percent of the US population, so you could say they are under-represented in baseball...by three percent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 11:18 am:

If Bynum sticks with the A's, maybe he could be involved in some community activities.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.