Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

we have the best marketing staff in the league

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: we have the best marketing staff in the league
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:00 pm:

just bored a bit today, was looking at the other mlb team sites and i realized we have the best marketing staff in the league. our commercials are genuinely funny, and we have great wallpapers, and a great ad campaign. seriously, the rest of baseball isn't making anything exciting about their marketing!

got to love the new wallpapers on our a's site.. especially the rich harden one... "he can throw 100 moh! and speaks fluent canadian"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:03 pm:

and what's up with this? there's no cheerleaders in baseball!!!!!!

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/fla/fan_forum/mermaids.jsp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:04 pm:

Yeah we got great marketing, but where are the fans at the games. Only when the A's win do people go to games. Still funniest commercials in baseball. I think we won awards for our commercials.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:12 pm:

The one thing I would love is that MLB allow each team leeway on their websites. It seems they have given the entire league a generic skeleton that they must follow, I'm sure the A's would have the best site. I'd rather the league give each team content requirements and then let the team design their own sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:16 pm:

dude, do we have to dredge this up again?

sure, we don't have the best attendance record in baseball.

bay area fans are very different people. there is a LOT to do here. there are TWO baseball teams. yes, we get big crowds when certain teams come, or when we have certain promotions - that just proves what is a big crowd attractor.

we don't have the fancy new park. and decreasing numbers show that the novelty is wearing off at sbc park. when the giants played at candelstick, they had far worse attendance.

sure, if you go to a tuesday night game there aren't a lot of people out there. but often it's cold, often a lot of people work early the next day, often a lot of people don't want to sit in traffic. lots of reasons.

look at our attendance: to date - 1,064,823

teams with better attendance in the AL:

new york, boston, anaheim, seattle, texas, baltimore, chicago, minnesota (barely)

teams with worse attendance in the AL:

detroit, cleveland, toronto, kansas city, tampa bay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:38 pm:

Those girls look like Raiderettes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:46 pm:

I go to quite a few Marlin games every year and there is way too much extracurricular activity. Dolphins Stadium also has the loudest sound system I have ever heard. The sound of shrieking Cheerleaders being bounced around an empty stadium between innings makes it hard to enjoy a good team like the Marlins. It's just so ludicrous that most fans go to the game for everything but the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 01:03 pm:

Cheerleaders...I like it...They could put the logo on the back of the skirts..the ad's could be "come watch our spirit team shake there A's!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cal_90 on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 01:24 pm:

I still think the Kotsay crashing-into-the-wall-and-waking-up-to-breakfast-with-superheros commercial was written for Eric Byrnes. Think about it--Kotsay gets the praise for his defense because he DOESN'T run full tilt into walls.

If Beane told marketing that Byrnes was going to be traded so don't bother to putting him in any advertising or promotions for 2005, then they should have just come up with a commercial that was tailored for the sort of player that Kotsay is.

Vent completed. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 01:33 pm:

"Best marketing" shouldn't be a matter of opinion. Marketing exists to support two things...

-- The short-term revenue for the team. This is measured by, sure, the number of people in the seats. But there's way more to it than that: there's also what they paid for their seats; how much $ they spend once they're in the door; how many times they return based on their experience; and the word of mouth they spread based on their experience.

-- The long-term brand value of a team. Think of this as "recognizabiity" -- people around the world know about the Yankees more than they do the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, for example. They know the logo, they know the hype, they know the pinstripes, they know the history. All of those things that go into making a team more of a cultural icon are things that add brand value, which translates into true monetary value over the long haul. It's an asset that needs to be nurtured and protected.

Okay, so what's all this mean? Well, it means that, at the end of the day, only the owners and accountants know how "great" the marketing is, because they can measure it against short-term or long-term value. We only know whether or not we actually like a commercial, a website, a team...

Coincidentally, many of the very cool or funny ads (or even the best websites) don't do a darn thing to boost the bottom line. And that's the worst marketing of all :-(

Okay, all that said, I think "Moneyball" was the best marketing vehicle for the A's ever invented: it made ripples, changed the industry, and elevated a type of philosophy to the common-man vernacular. And whadya know, they didn't have to spend a penny on it.

Second-best marketing vehicle for the A's: Walter Hass...who did way more for getting people in the seats than any commercials could do.

And third-best? Hmm...good question. Bash Bros? Billy Ball? I haven't the slightest ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 01:59 pm:

I lean more to ssblip's viewpoint on this.

We have good commercials -- that's true. But, as ssblip pointed out, that doesn't necessarily mean the overall marketing is great. Not knocking the men and women that hold those jobs. They, like the GM, have to make do with the resources allotted to them.

Back in the day, Andy Dolich's efforts mixed with Walter Haas' class and commitment to the area was the best marketing combo a team could have. The best ad campaign they could do today would be to commit to staying in Oakland, so fans can feel comfortable fully committing to the team.

Trivia question: What then-Oakland Tribune sportswriter coined the phrase "BillyBall?" Hint: He is now deceased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:14 pm:

I have said it before and I will say it again. You can have the best ads, a cool campaign and great slogans, but if your marketing only reaches the people who are already watching the games on TV and already coming to the ballpark then they aren't worth anything.

I live in the Central Valley and the only time I see the A's "Great" ads is when I watch the games on FSNBA and the 15 games the Sacto. UPN station chose to carry. I have never seen even a billboard or mailer or anything in the CV. The A's "great" marketing doesn't really do anything to attract new fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:27 pm:

Monte Poole!
Chris is right...the Shottman era did nothing to make this a "need to be at event"..they did everything they could be go the other way. They banked on winning would draw and it did some what but they never ever worked on building a loyal fan base,,,they did everything they could to destroy what Wallter Hass had built!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:30 pm:

Chris - Sylvester Jackson?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:32 pm:

I think that who I meant.....ooops

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:37 pm:

Actually I think it was the guy who wrote for ESPN - Ralph Wiley?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:40 pm:

You're right, Ron. It was Ralph Wiley.

I miss the late Sylvester Jackson's pre-game show. He was cool. But I like Marty Lurie, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 03:34 pm:

Don't Sylvester Jackson also have an A's magazine show?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 03:40 pm:

Yes, it was Sylvester Jackson who coined the phrase Billy Ball. And Andy Dolich was a great PR guy who at the time hired Goodby who used Billy Ball in the ads showing Rickey course. The same Goodby who later was part of the Dolich group bidding for the A's...and of course the same guy who later was so popular with the Got Milk ads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 04:36 pm:

"Shrieking Cheerleaders being bounced around an empty stadium between innings makes it hard."

I would imagine so...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 04:47 pm:

Ha Ha. Touche Finleyshero.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:14 pm:

someday i gotta post my picture of me sandwiched between two Raiderettes.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.