Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Byrnes FINALLY traded

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Byrnes FINALLY traded
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:43 pm:

"http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050713&content_id=1130466&vkey=pr_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak"

Wow, I'll miss that guy. Much love and luck to him out there in colorado, where hopefully he'll have a terrific career.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:44 pm:

Beat ya to it asch. Look at the Byrnes trade rumor thread! lol

Good luck to Byrnes, I'm sure he'll produce at COORS!

Now lets see if Beane is done wheeling and dealing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:49 pm:

yeah, but I got it on it's own thread and reported the rumor first!!
:)

yeah, I'll miss that guy big time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:49 pm:

Hmmm, probably a good time to take a break from this board. This will get ugly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:50 pm:

Beane isn't done trading. I wouldn't be too shocked later this week that he's done another trade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:55 pm:

Suchon is on KNBR and said that Kennedy maybe going to the bullpen and surprised by saying that Witasik is pitching great at Coors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:00 pm:

good call yc,
but hey, I am taking it easy aren't I?

I guess, when you know a guy is gonna get traded, it doesn't hurt as much. Which is why the first of the big 3 trades didn't hurt as much as the 2nd, cause you expected it. But then, you were in shock still, so the 2nd was kind of soft cause you were all numbed out, you know?

Well, as a huge byrnes fan, I see the positive in this for his career. He may put up some terrific numbers there, and once he's FA eligible, he may be able to parlay that into a nice contract. Best of luck - I'll still follow him more than any other player.

I want this team to win and I would say, BB is doing pretty well as of late with our trades. The Payton for Bradford trade was a very good one, regardless if we keep or trade payton. I love Chad, but he's expendable, coming off injury and it's an injury that he gets constantly. We don't need to deal with that.

So we get what seems to be another power relief pitcher in Witasick and a lefty starter who had great minor league numbers, potential and one good year of MLB experience - hopefully he can rock it with us - or be trade bait to someone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:03 pm:

Oakland Tribune on the trade:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_2858835

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:04 pm:

damn you - I was just about to post that.
:)

looks like Payton is here to stay:

"Major-league executives who've spoken with the A's indicate Oakland would like to give Payton a shot at a corner outfield starting job next year. Payton had been unhappy in a reserve role with the Red Sox, and had a confrontation with Red Sox manager Terry Francona recently."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:06 pm:

A starting job as a corner OF?

What happens to LF with Keitly/Barton next year.

Too many players for 1 spot with Kotsay a lock to be the CF and Swisher in RF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:07 pm:

If these 3 guys are here to stay. Does that mean Flores gets sent back to AAA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:08 pm:

Barton won't be ready next year, at least until midseason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:09 pm:

Maybe, but you still got Thomas in AAA. Will he get traded soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:11 pm:

Thomas has no real future as an everyday player so I don't really factor him in the equation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:12 pm:

I still wouldn't put Thomas in the dumper, Cox said Thomas is one of the very best OFs he's managed.

Don't know what that means now, but Thomas still would have some value in a trade as a defensive/speed type OF for a contending team maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:16 pm:

Somebody on the A's MLB.com board mentioned maybe the A's dealing a lot of these pitchers for one of Cincy's OF like a Pena or Kearns?

Who knows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:21 pm:

No way we have to trade Payton; A: I for one don't like him as much as any of our outfielders and he is not the right handed bat we need. What about Kielty, Barton, Watson, and Thomas, it just doesn't seem smart to keep all of these guys around. Payton already got into an argument in Boston because he wasn't playing now what is he going to do? I dont understand how Payton is better than Byrnes anyways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:27 pm:

his defense is supposedly very good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:31 pm:

payton is crap. the guy has over-inflated numbers from coors and is a cancer!!!! he was complaining about not playing enough in boston while byrnes was here keeping his mouth shut and playing hard and helping us WIN GAMES

screw you beane this is his worst trade EVER

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:45 pm:

whoa rayfossefan, relax im not happy with the trade either but c'mon you have to give Beane his credit. Im thinking he has something up his sleave. If he doesnt than i can acept this trade, he obviously is a little better at this stuff then we are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:59 pm:

I like these moves. Beane's added depth in the rotation and the pen without while basically swapping OF'ers. Kennedy is a better option than having Glynn or Etherton spot start. Also with Calero's elbow problems, Witasick gives us another reliable option in the pen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:02 pm:

Again no opinions but I'll give you five reasons why this trade was likely done:

Joe Kennedy - not arb eligible for another two years
Jay Payton - free agent
Jay Witasick - free agent

Eric Byrnes - arb eligible
Chad Bradford - arb eligible

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:28 pm:

"Whether Byrnes stays bears watching. Within moments of acquiring him, teams began calling the Rockies, wanting to trade. "

"http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_2858567"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:32 pm:

yup, b/c teams realize that given the chance to play everyday, he can hit RH pitching, and he is a great all around player who gives his all.

more than i can say for a crybaby that pushed the manager when he doesn't get playing time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:35 pm:

Byrnes at best will be a .260-.270, 20 hrs, 70-80 RBI type player who will have huge hot and cold streaks and be hot and cold in the outfield defensively.

IF Byrnes ends up with a contender as a starting OF, then maybe you could question the deal by the A's but if it's another average team looking to deal for him, then maybe not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:35 pm:

"he can hit RH pitching"

Again leaving my opinions to myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:36 pm:

perhaps if he had anough at-bats he could. he did well against it a few years ago. last week as well. remember, chavez couldn't hit lefties until he had the chance to play everyday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:07 pm:

what a class act Byrnes is:

"I'm excited about the opportunity to go play for the Rockies and I'm sad to leave Oakland," said Byrnes, who grew up in the Bay area and appreciated the fan support. "I'm going to miss everybody in the organization. It's the only organization I've ever known. The 24 guys in the clubhouse are 24 of my best friends, everyone from the janitor on up. I can't thank them enough for giving me the chance to play major league baseball."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:21 pm:

He'll always be one of my favorites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:32 pm:

it is not so much his talent but his heart that will be missed, he had more desire then most teams whole roster.

Beane for ass hole

he is a jerk if you ask me he black balled brynse this yr keeping his starts down ect... if brynes had been a reg starter you would have seen bigger #'s

i hope the Giants get him and he becomes a super star. fff beane

we lose Miggy = true heart n desire team leader

gullen = real strong heart n desire intense desire to win

brynes = great heart n desire with will to win hustle

Beane loves a team of boring ass players like he was on the field shit rag player

we have no charactor again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:40 pm:

Give me a boring ass team that can win anyday over a knucklehead like Guillen and Byrnes who is hot and cold player who'll probably win as many games as he can lose for you.

Love how the Beane detractors will be coming out. The same ones who ripped him for trading Hudson/Mulder. In all the Mulder deal looks great for the A's and Hudson has been injured.

What will Beane detrators say if Byrnes still continues to have his struggles while Kennedy/Witasick pitch well for the A's.

As for Byrnes maybe signing with the team across the bay, to hell with him then. I'll never root for a team that wears that uni. My alligence to the A's is stronger than some fan favorite A's player.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:44 pm:

you hope he does well for the giants.

If I ever root for anything good to happen to the Giants SHOOT ME

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:51 pm:

well the mulder huddy trade has produced only Haren ,calerco, and maybe Barton the Huddy trade has become a complete bust so we trade 2 all star pitchers for 1 good pitcher and 1 mediocre middle releiver and 1 unproven minor talent guy.

Beane supporters will look at the bright side even though Beane made sure brynes would not shine this yr by sitten him .
brynes will hit 35 hr and steal 30 bases for the rockies if they resign him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:53 pm:

The guy with the most desire to win is still on the team - Bobby Crosby.

F**k the Giants

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:57 pm:

i loved watching Byrnes play, and his heart and effort, and i wish him all the best in the world...UNLESS he signs with the Giants, in which case i'm thinking...well...scratch that. i don't really wish incurable illness on anyone...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:00 pm:

Mulder has had a subpar year and if he had pitched with the A's this first half, he'd have just a good a record as Haren and maybe even worse since Haren basically has better stats than Mulder/Hudson in almost every pitching category. Calero has been great with the A's. Other than that horrible week, which could've been caused by an injury, he's been lights out. How can you call the guy mediocore? As for Barton, he's probably one of the top 3 best minor league hitters in all of baseball. Yes, he's still a minor leaguer who hasn't had a AB in the majors but Haren alone for Mulder would've been great, getting a VERY GOOD RP in Calero and our best hitting prospect in years makes this deal look like a steal.

Yeah, the Hudson trade doesn't look good now, but Hudson has been injured for a good month or so and as of now; those injuries will plague him more and more as his career goes on. So maybe getting rid of Hudson at this point instead of getting nothing for him other than a 1st rounder pick was a smart move. Sure Cruz/Thomas/Meyer haven't impressed yet but you never know. Cruz/Thomas still could be used as trade bait and I still think Meyer still has a future with the A's or they could trade him too.

Brynes a 30/30 guy, I think the anger has made some fans go wild in their love with Byrnes. Why not say Byrnes wil become another Carlos Beltran? Geeezz!!?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:04 pm:

Well if Sactodavey is mad then it can't be a bad deal!

I'm not a byrnes lover like many here (although I do enjoy watching his style of play).

I think Beane struck when the Iron was hot. Byrnes trade value was not going to be any higher, and I doubt he would have carried us in to the playoffs. Plus I still can't forgive him for that boneheaded "not tagging the plate" move in the playoffs a couple years ago.

I'm still digesting the deal and can't quite evaluate it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:21 pm:

Anyone know anything about the minor leaguer we got Omar Quintilla?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:26 pm:

The A's traded Quintilla.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:28 pm:

We dealt away Quintinella not got him. Omar had good power, decent Shortstop, can hit...
Did great in Modesto last year (I saw him play) and was doing well in AA this year. 2 more years & he is in the show but maybe converted to second base. Tough loss but a chip we could afford to deal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:30 pm:

We have Pennington, Quintinella was extendable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:26 am:

yc, I posted this question on another thread.

before you take a break from the board, could you post Byrnes, Kielty and Payton's win shares against right handed pitching and how they rank?

I'm very relieved to see Byrnes move on...I wish him luck and hope he continues the class act he showed to be in Oakland.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.