Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Jay Payton

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Jay Payton
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 02:33 pm:

Who friggin knew that this dude would be so damn awesome for us!!! Does he just feel at home with this club or what!!??? The guy is playing great and with so much energy. Beane saw somethin' in him that we didnt. WOW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By naomi on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 02:35 pm:

Hey Sacto---once again beane makes a GREAT midseason pickup with Payton. What do you have to say now buddy???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 04:14 pm:

From an article on the official A's site -

"Jay Payton single-handedly brought the A's back by driving a 1-1 pitch from Tigers starter Nate Robertson over the left-field wall for his third career grand slam. It was the outfielder's first home run since joining the A's. An inning later, Payton singled home a run to bring his RBI total for the game to five, a new season high."

Do these guys do their homework? His FIRST HR since joing the A's? Does he remember Payton's first AB with the A's???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 04:22 pm:

Must've been a typo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 04:58 pm:

Payton has been a great pickup by Beane. I didn't think he was all that much when his name was first mentioned in trade rumors but he's been the A's best OF maybe since he came to the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 05:09 pm:

yea it was a nice pickup but an even trade to me, remember all the big hits n home runs brynesy did for us? it is just Payton is given a chance to play everyday which really helps and brynes never was given the chance this yr.

so it is funny how Beane can blackball a player like brynes and make him play not regularly while putting payton on the yellow brick road letting him get into a grove playing everyday and brynse looks bad while Payton shines hm........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 05:17 pm:

It's an even trade if we traded the Byrnes from last year for the Payton we're getting now.

Byrnes of this year was struggling bad thoughout the season. Look what happened when he finally played everyday with the Rockies, he hit under .200.

I can understand why many A's fans loved Byrnes but he was a 4th OF who played with great hustle and heart. But that doesn't offset the inconsistant play he displayed the past 3 months.

Keilty, Swisher, and Kotsay were playing better than Byrnes so call it that Beane "blackballed" Byrnes, we played the better and more consisatant players and so far, it's worked out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 05:45 pm:

How sweet Payton was today! What are the other players saying about him? Is he getting along?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 06:44 pm:

Payton wasn't playing every day until Kotsay got hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 07:25 pm:

Listening to Marty Lurie's "Inside Baseball" show today and Buan was on with him and Shooty. When the conversation came around to Byrnes, Buan mentioned that his calls and e-mails were running very much in agreement with the trade. Shooty and Marty both praised Byrnesy's effort and hustle but agreed that Payton is the better (more consistent) player.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:01 pm:

Just to brag. Jay and his family came in to Kincaids for dinner after todays game. He was very very nice and I bought his dinner. I told he gets free dinner any time he hits a grand slam. We talked about how much he hated Boston and how cool he thinks the leftfield bleachers are now that he is not on the visiting side. Once again Kincaids is the place to spot A's players after the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:18 pm:

I'm surprised that Payton thougth the LH bleachers were cool. The flag people are AWESOME but I would think that the drummer(s) would annoy many of the opposing players with the constant pounding they do during the home half of innings.

Personally, the drumming can get a little annoying when it's not doing in part of an A's chant and just keeps going and going even though the majority of A's fans probably love them though I thought they were great when they first appeared during the 2000 season, but I have my earphones on listening to King/Korach so I don't hear much of it during the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:13 am:

Leftfield,

In this day and age no fan whatsoever should be buying a major leaguer a meal unless your earning more than the player makes (3.5 mil in Jay's case). Trust me I understand the elation, I can even see comping a beer...I hope he left a good tip!

We should do a whole thread in the off field section about cheap or generous athletes.

A decade ago I worked as a doorman at the downtown SJ Hilton and we were the host hotel to a number of NHL teams that were in to play the Sharks. We also had players that got traded to the Sharks or called up from the minors staying with us.

By far the best tipping athlete ever and a true gentleman Wayne Gretsky, Marty McSorely tipped well too. The biggest cheapskate and rudeest asshole ever Owen Nolan. Other cheapies but nice guys Ronnie Lott and the No Hitter King Nolan Ryan who was in town to watch his son pitch an A ball game against the SJ Giants. What you got LF?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 06:42 am:

Hey sactodavey...I hear you. You and I are not the what-have-you-done-for-me-today
type of fan. But we have to get used to it because it is Billy's way....and his way is our way. Take it or be a detractor.

No room for nostalgia in Billy's way because nostalgia doesn't project in winning games.

Billy laid down the word...he only pays a player for what his numbers project for the present and the future. Not for what he has done in the past.

Billy pays for present and future performance and when he invests on a player, he will do whatever it takes to help and protect his investment, even if it is at the cost of what a player has earned with his past performance for the team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 10:19 am:

Hey leftfield,

I was at Kincaids last night and my family and I sat right next to Payton, his wife and baby. (We were the group of 7 adults and 2 kids).

We waiting until after they were done with dinner to congradulate him on his grand slam. He seems like a very nice guy.

The food was awesome (firework prawns and blue cheese salad great as usual) and our waitress was much better than the normal great service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 10:45 am:

Is Kincaids close to BART? Sounds like good food to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:15 am:

Lil thnks , for me i am loyal to a degree and even though Pyton has done well and i am glad Brynse did alot for this team for 3 yrs and he was cast off and not given a fair shot to me but hey i guess its just a biz , was like signing Miggy who to me was the heart n sould of the A's he loved the fans and the city and their is something to be said about him and his charactor that should have gone farther then not even contacting him when he become a FA, so cold this org is.

you grew up in a Time when baseball was so pure cities like brooklyn had thier players yr after yr and players were the represention of the city they played for and loyalty went both ways, now players and teams will sell the fans out at the drop of a hat.

jay payton is a good trade he is producing but so many so fast have forgotten how brynses carried this team so quickly we forget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:37 am:

First Washfan,

I run a 7.5 million dollar a year restaurant and I comp meals and drinks for all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons. I do it because it is good for business. When public figures are known to frequent your restaurant is VERY good for business. Normal folks like oaktownmojo go there for dinner see Jay Payten there and often will tell every one they know the saw someone famous at Kincaids and there goes our name via word of mouth spread into the public conscious. I don't do because I'm star struck or because I think he deserves a free meal. I also bought Ron Washingtons lunch when he and Bandon Buckey came in for lunch. I just to let you know Jay left a 30 dollar tip so Jay is CLASS ACT in my book. Restaurant owners have been comping famous people their meals and drinks for ever. Not because they enjoy giving their money away but for completely self serving reasons its good for business

Dear oaktownmojo,

I remember you sat at table 44 the large round one. I was the guy in the lime green shirt. Thanks so much for you kind words on our food and service. I am trilled to hear you enjoyed yourself my name is Martin please introduce yourself next time you come in. We work very hard to find and train servers who excel in guest service and hear your comments shows me it is paying off.

PS hey Washfan come in some time so I can buy you a beer you sound a little bitter:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:16 pm:

i've heard the modern fan derided as just being a fan of "laundry" because of free agency and frequent player movement.

me? I'm a fan of .750 baseball! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 03:02 pm:

Payton with ANOTHER HR!

Two in two days!

This guy has exceeded everybody's expectations.

Go A's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 03:04 pm:

He's the 2005 version of John Mabry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 03:06 pm:

Ha, funny yc, I was thinking the same thing.

Hopefully he doesn't fall off quite as much. (or K quite so often.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 03:54 pm:

He's a better defensive player than Mabry. Kotsay didn't look 100% in the outfield today, plus he banged his back against the wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 04:09 pm:

Hey LF or I'll take the liberty of Martin, please I was not trying to bash you. You had mentioned before that you were a bartender at Kincaids now it sounds as if your the GM. You made it seem as if you shelled $$$ out of your own pocket to feed a wealthy guy, which by the way you have every right to do. I do understand the marketing angle, I too worked in the restaurant/hotel biz from 16-25. It's good to hear he left a good gratuity, I know from experince how hard you restarauntiers work. Thanks for the suds offer I'll stop in next time I'm down in JLS but I can and will pay my own way :) and if you can beleive this it's nice to stop in a place in Oakland that is A's freindly. One time after being in the field all day I stopped in at Tony Roma's to obtain some liquid refreshment and had to politely but firmly ask the BT twice to tune one of the TVs into the A's game, they were all on the GiAnts! The horror!

How'd ya like that JP insurance homer!??

For statement sake I hope Byrnsie rakes in Bmore, down with Boston! Hopefully not at our expense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 04:09 pm:

I would've kept Kotsay out of the line up today, just to be safe. We're gonna need a Healthy Mark in the stretch run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:49 pm:

he looked a tad gimpy today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:15 pm:

WOW!
1.5 BACK!!!

This is really happening!
It feels like a dream!!!!!

Jay Payton for president!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:30 pm:

no... team captain!

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 10:57 pm:

hey Wash I am the Bar manager some day I'll be a GM. I used to tend bar for the company years ago.

In fact if you come in I buy you more than a beer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:41 am:

washfan, I once worked at a bar when I lived in San Jose and I met some of the Sharks and I have to agree with you Owen Nolan was not a very nice fellow. Not only to bartenders and servers (which I was) but also to the ladies. We had a lot of complaints about him being "too aggressive" or "creepy".

leftfield, I am a poor graduate student. Can I get a free meal at Kincaid's? just kidding. seriously though, it sounds like a cool place to go after the game and you sound like a class guy yourself. I know what you mean about the free meals. When I was a server we always gave free meals to cops because they always kept the place settled down. But they always tipped well which was nice.

Another cool place to go is "La Barca", a Mexican restraunt in the marina in SF, on Lombard street. Apparently, it's Barry Zito's favorite place. Tons of photos of famous sports and other celebrities on the wall, you can always spot someone famous there. And the food is delish!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 11:58 am:

Hey LF just tell me there is a TV in the bar tuned to the A's game and I'll be their!

RFF,

I bet we could swap Shark player stories, the other big time A-hole was a Russian, Nazarov (sp) he and I almost went toe to toe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 12:09 pm:

Lefty, I like your style.

Next time I'm in Oaktown (8/13 weekend games) I'm going to make a point of hitting Kincades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 12:33 pm:

I can verify that Martin was a gracious host to the OAFC Board when he was at Skates in Berkeley!

La Barca Room is a Marina institution. Haven't been there in many years, but now that I know BZ hangs out there, I may have to stop by again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:08 pm:

well anyway back in the American league Brynse goes 5-9 with a hr and a sliding head first into 1st base for a hit.

lets not forget this guy please, Jay payton is no brynse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:20 pm:

and Byrnes is no Payton, in the short snapshot of time that he has been here I do not hold my breath when a fly ball is hit his way.

Miggy magic and Cap America reunited I hope they catch fire and take that division!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:24 pm:

I knew we should have come in after the game! It would have been cool to run into JP. Jackie wanted to go to SF, so we ended up kicking it in Sausalito.

Tiger LF Dmitri Young liked the drums, he was bopping to the beat all game.

Martin, I met Mr. Negative Friday night. There was no doubt that he was the guy.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:34 pm:

Even Byrnes is no brynse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 03:11 pm:

LOL, Ey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 04:47 pm:

Renobill I'm on vacation that week, go figure. Bleacherdave Are you talking about Sacto or what when you say Mr. negative?
Oaktown JP likes the leftfield bleachers NOW that he is on our side not when he was a vistor.

We have a TV but right now it's Broken will be fixed soon. And we only get 36 no fox.

I AM SUPER CLASSY GUY :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:07 pm:

Sorry I'll miss you LF.

I'm thinking about impersonating Ben Rothlesberger to get babes. Can you leave word to comp me a meal to help with the ruse? :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:37 pm:

WOW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 07:48 pm:

You know the guy you used to call Mr. Negative - Stewart? Geez, that guy is BRUTAL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 09:07 pm:

Stew is cool. He just gets frustrated

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.