Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

and they continue to fall.... Ryan Franklin fails drug test

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: and they continue to fall.... Ryan Franklin fails drug test
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:51 am:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2122665

Seattle Mariners pitcher Ryan Franklin has failed a drug test and will receive a 10-day suspension under the terms of Major League Baseball's tougher steroids policy, a source familiar with the situation told ESPN.com.

An official announcement from MLB is expected Tuesday afternoon. A representative from Franklin-Frye-McCann agency, which represents Franklin, said the pitcher will talk to the media after 2 p.m. ET today in Detroit.

MLB officials could not be reached to comment, and the Mariners wouldn't confirm news of the suspension.

Franklin, 32, has a career record of 33-46 with a 4.19 ERA in six major-league seasons, all with Seattle. He is 6-11 with a 4.61 ERA this season.

A day after baseball announced that Baltimore first baseman Rafael Palmeiro had failed his test, Franklin became the eighth player to receive a suspension under MLB's more stringent drug policy, which took effect in March.

The other major leaguers who have received suspensions for using performance-enhancing drugs this season are Seattle's Jamal Strong, Cleveland's Rafael Betancourt, Minnesota's Juan Rincon, Colorado's Jorge Piedra, Texas' Agustin Montero, and Tampa Bay's Alex Sanchez, who is now playing for the San Francisco Giants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:53 am:

Oh, the Mariners also released Aaron Sele yesterday... not a great year for the fisherman...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2121930

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Mariners released right-hander Aaron Sele on Monday, cutting ties with a player who was in the rotation for the team's historic 116-victory season in 2001.

To fill the roster spot, right-hander Jorge Campillo was recalled from Triple-A Tacoma and is scheduled to start Tuesday in Detroit.

The 35-year-old Sele was 6-12 with a 5.66 ERA in 21 starts this season. He lost a career-high seven straight starts after going 6-5 through June 25. Sele was with Seattle from 2000-01, going 32-15 in 68 games.

The Mariners tied a major-league record in 2001 with 116 victories.

Sele, who grew up in Poulsbo, Wash., and pitched in college at Washington State, played for the Anaheim Angels from 2002-04 and rejoined the Mariners this spring as a non-roster invited player.

He also pitched for Boston and Texas over 12 major-league seasons.

The 26-year-old Campillo is a former Mexican League standout who has spent most of this season at Tacoma, going 4-1 with a 2.71 ERA in 12 starts. He allowed only 63 hits in 66 1/3 innings, with 18 walks and 43 strikeouts.

Campillo made his major-league debut May 21 in his only appearance with Seattle this season, working one inning against the San Diego Padres. He joined the Mariners as a free agent during spring training.

In eight seasons in the Mexican League, Campillo was 45-29 with a 4.59 ERA in 85 starts and 176 appearances. He's coming off a Mexican Winter League season where he was 10-1 with a 2.05 ERA in 14 starts for Culiacan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:56 am:

From today's CC times:

A's outfielder Bobby Kielty, who has been outspoken about drug use in baseball, said Palmeiro's name will be soiled by the news.
"It definitely puts a negative vibe to his name," Kielty said. "You don't know what he did for the last 15 years. He could have been totally drug free his whole career. With all new supplements coming out in last 10 years, you don't know."
If Palmeiro, as he said in a conference call, unknowingly took a supplement that contained a banned substance, Kielty said baseball must come up with a list of all supplements that are illegal and distribute them to the players. Some A's players underwent another round of random testing over the weekend.
"The only thing kind of scary is every guy who has tested positive has said they've been taking a supplement that they didn't know had it," Kielty said. "It's a little iffy. Definitely for next year they have to come with a list of supplements that players are allowed to take, and that way it's an absolute no-brainer. If you test positive, then you definitely took it.
"All the supplements I've been taking I've kept a sample of. If something did come up, I can have that stuff tested and see what came up and try to help my name. As far as I'm concerned I'm not taking anything, and as far as most people are concerned they're not taking anything. But it seems like every guy who has tested positive has said that. I think any guy who is tested positive is going to come up with that complaint."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:10 am:

That's because those guys are not telling the truth, Bobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:07 pm:

Obviously his hair is on the juice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:44 pm:

Carrot juice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 01:20 pm:

In all seriousness, all this recent steroid news has me wondering how long it will be until someone on the A's fails.

Any thoughts as to likely candidates?

BTW, has anyone else noticed that with the exception of 1 player I believe, the vast majority of players suspended are from the AL? Not sure if this means anything, or is purely coincidental.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 02:25 pm:

There's a few umps I would like to see put on carrot juice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 02:42 pm:

I'm sure many of the A's players 2004 and prior used steroids. We don't know who. It's tough to tell when some guys need the stuff just to be in the majors (see Velarde, Bernard, etc.) Some guys use it and bulk up while others, like Palmeiro, don't look way bigger than they did before the juice.
I have no doubt that Byrnes used roids, he would likely be a AAA player if he hadn't. Also when you see him in person he looks awkwardly big.
And, the A's have a history of trading juicers: Canseco, McGwire, Giambi all left Oakland in their prime. I think management has a better idea of who's juiced and who isn't than we thought.

I also question guys like Danny Tartabull. When he was with the A's in 96 I think he got really big and was hurt all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 04:24 pm:

How about Ruben Sierra?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 07:54 pm:

Hopefully no current A's player uses it right now.

Hate to see the bay area media go rip on a current A's player when most of the media here kisses the ass of Mr. Balco himself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 08:31 pm:

I wish Macha would get on the juice - at least for interviews. I believe the ball boy down by the A's bullpen is definitely on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:51 pm:

What's up with Ryan Franklin?
He's completely confused and says he really has no idea what it was and would never use anything like steroids.

I kind of believe him!

What's up with this testing? We're not being told what these guys are testing positive for....is this even legit? I'm having my doubts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:23 pm:

the disinformation and coverup seemed to have been working, to give doubts even to well informed folks such as yourself.

That whistle blower to the NY Times sure blows a hole in the coverup, though, don't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:27 pm:

Selig gets to pose as in favor of more penalties, while they all work hand in glove to minimize the impact of the positive tests. Both the recent announcements re Franklin and Palmero stink to high heaven as managed news. Bonds, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:29 pm:

My guess is that the Union response to the proposal to increase penalties was held in abeyance, by mutual agreement, to wait to gauge the impact of the Palmero/Franklin news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:58 am:

"i have no idea how this has happened."

love that response. it doesn't matter what the truth is, or what one's responsibilities are, or what the facts at the end of the day are...as long as you can keep on denying then hey, who cares about what really happened!

sounds like the political advisers are working with some of baseball's best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 02:34 pm:

You could be right ss.
I just don't get that kind of reaction though. If Franklin is guilty, why would he not only say he had no idea, but then go on to say he would not put anything like that in his body? Then again, if you're Palmeiro, why would you go make an ASS of yourself lying to congress and pointing vehemently like he did?

I knew Palmeiro was guilty when he did not sue Canseco, even though Angelos would have paid for his attorney fees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 03:00 pm:

Franklin and Palmero's responses were carefully crafted to introduce doubt, and then hide behind the confidentially agreement. Including timing, these responses were the product of significant PR thinking by both the union and MLB. It might have worked, and certainly would have gone down a lot smoother, had a whistle blower not identified Palmero's steriod as one that's powerful, not a pre-cursor, and not in any supplement.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.