Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

chavey to have offseason surgery

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: chavey to have offseason surgery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 10:23 am:

"http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/08/04/SPG5LE1T521.DTL&type=as"

----------------------------------------------
A'S REPORT
Chavez's sore shoulder turns throws into 'dying quails'
Susan Slusser

Thursday, August 4, 2005

Minneapolis -- Eric Chavez's chronically sore shoulder led to his serving as DH for three games in mid-May, which helped the injury a bit. So did three days off at the All-Star break.

Now, however, the Gold Glove third baseman is back to slinging the ball instead of throwing overhand, because the shoulder problem has resumed.

"It's going to be like this all season," Chavez said, making an up and down motion. "It was great for a week and a half, and after that, it was a struggle."

Chavez disliked DH-ing so much that he does not want to go that route again. With the A's back in the middle of the playoff race, he doesn't want to come out of the lineup, either. So he will tough it out, trying to focus as much as possible on making decent throws despite the painful shoulder and the resulting poor form.

"I'm back to throwing dying quails," he said. "I've really got to make an effort to whip it over there."

He will have surgery to repair the shoulder when the season is over.

"If we'd kept on playing like we were the first two months, I would have had the surgery already," Chavez said. "I wouldn't be playing right now."

With Chavez's once-rocket arm now weaker and less accurate, rookie first baseman Dan Johnson must be on his toes, but Chavez said that has not been a problem. He has been impressed with how Johnson has handled some of his throws, which, every now and then, have a tendency to have the bottom drop out suddenly.

"Dan's done outstanding," Chavez said. "I feel really comfortable with him there."

Chavez might get a stretch of at least two days to rest his shoulder this month if his first child is induced on the A's day off on Aug. 22. Chavez would then rejoin the team in Detroit on Aug. 24.

Briefly: Barry Zito was named the American League Pitcher of the Month after going 6-0 with a 2.51 ERA in July. "He's very deserving," manager Ken Macha said. "He's been outstanding." It was the third time in his career Zito has won the award. ... The A's had the three runners-up for the Rookie of the Month award, with Nick Swisher, Huston Street and Johnson all receiving votes. Toronto's Gustavo Chacin, who went 5-0 in July, was the winner. ... Mark Kotsay might get the day off today, Macha said. He will check to see how the center fielder is feeling today after two nights of playing on artificial turf. Kotsay missed six games with a bad back in the last week and a half. ... Jared Lansford, the A's second-round pick this June, hasn't played in a week at short-season Arizona because of a slight ankle sprain incurred while covering first base. The pitcher from St. Francis High School is expected to return to action in the next week or so. He has only thrown one inning since he signed last month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 11:44 am:

I did not kinow. Why can't all of players be made out of some knid of unbreakable alloy. T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 02:59 pm:

Great. All this great news and the 3B, the franchise basically has a dead shoulder right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 06:26 pm:

Chavez has been doing well the past week and half still, 10 RBIs in his last 10 games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 08:36 pm:

you know what it is time to lay off Chavvy for everyone. Right now the guy is playing through pain and injury and the guy is out there making gold glove plays at third and leading this team. he spoke out this season and maybe he is not the offensive force that tejada is but i think he is more valuable to this team. he is far and away the best 3rd baseman in the AL and he takes away a LOT of hits. that is invaluable to a team and their pitching staff. meanwhile crosby has demonstrated some amazing ability at SS and although he is not on par with Tejada yet it is only a matter of time before his defense gets even better. he certainly makes less errors that miggy did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 09:03 pm:

and he's hitting something like .350 over his last 10-15 games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 09:23 pm:

That play Chavvy made near the end of tonight's game was utterly amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 09:28 pm:

I don't care if ARod is a 3B now, Chavez is the best defensive 3B in the AL right now and should win his 5th straight gold glove.

Chavez maybe the 2nd best defensive 3B in MLB behind Rolen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:46 pm:

I said on another thread recently that I believe Chavy is the best 3rd baseman in the bigs relative to production vs. salary.

I would not trade him for Arod or Rolen either.

He has been accused by the uninformed of having no passion for the game yet plays like tonite belie that allegation.

You're right RFF Chavez should have silenced his critics by now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.