Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's are in 1st place!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's are in 1st place!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:00 pm:

A's win 16-1.
Angels lost 6-4 to TB.

A's and Angels are tied at the top of the AL West.

A's:63-47
Angels:63-47
Rangers:55-54
Mariners:47-62

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:02 pm:

You beat me to the punch, otf! WOOOHOOO!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:07 pm:

UNBELIEVABLE!

GO A'S!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:15 pm:

As a bonus the Yankee lose, more cushion for the wild card!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:18 pm:

Fantastic!

Wonder if Washburn will return from the dl and pitch on Thursday for the Angels.

Also, A's are now 4th in runs scored in the AL.

LET'S GO OAKLAND!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 01:57 am:

HA ha ha did you see Giambi's throw to the plate today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 02:05 am:

Hopefully the A's win tomorrow and the A's can head into this homestand's first series against LAA with at least a share of the AL West lead and maybe the full lead if the A's win and Angels lose tomorrow.

Good to know that we'll have both Harden and Zito pitching Games 1 and 2 in the series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 03:16 am:

what a nice surpise to come home from some late night saturday partying to see the los anaheim angels of angeles or whatever they are called lost and our A's are in 1st! let's keep it up boys! espn radio show hosts tonight saying they think a's and white sox are the best teams in baseball right now.

we have a better record than boston right now. if we keep above them, and the skanks, the al west or wild card will be ours!

what would you guys rather have happen?

win the wild card and face chicago (if they have the best record still) - we match up well with them

win the west and rematch boston?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 04:08 am:

I don't know who I'd like to face if the A's make the playoffs.

Let's just say that the A's, Angels, ChiSox, NYY/Bos are the 4 teams.

Can't play the Angels if they're the WC anyways.

ChiSox, although they may not have an entire lineup that scares you with power, they do play smallball and that works well in the postseason. Plus, them having a very good trio of Garland/Garcia/Burehle is scarey in a 5 game series. Plus, they have El Duque who I don't think the A's have ever beaten in a matchup and you know the scouts from the ChiSox will know that and could use him maybe as a 4th starter if they do decide to use 4 starting pitchers in the 5 game series or just use him in middle relief.

BoSox, well they're lineup is still very scarey. Damon, Varitek, Manny, Ortiz, Nixon, and etc. They don't have as scarey of a starting rotation back in 2003 where they had Pedro twice. Still can't believe we didn't take game 4 when we had their SP who's name I can remember on the ropes. Bullpen wise, I don't know yet, will they keep Schilling in the closer spot or move him to the starting rotation. Still a Clement, Wells, Arroyo, and maybe Schilling is a daunting task to face in a 5 game series.

Yanks. Well they still got an unbelieveable lineup. Facing Jeter/Cano/ARod/Sheffield/Matsui/Posada/Tino/Giambi/Williams is gonna be difficult. As for their pitching, whenever you got Rivera there, they can shorten it to an 7 inning game in a must win with Rivera going in at the 8th. SP wise; Johnson and Mussina have had our numbers especially during the postseason, see game 3 of 2001 ALDS for Moose.

What scares me about the A's is the young hitters. DJ/Swisher/Crosby havent' faced a playoff atmosphere and they could either thrive or choke on it. Other than Chavez/Ellis, nobody else on the starting 9 has had an AB in the playoffs. That could be a good or bad thing. The past 4 playoff series, the A's bats have gone stonecold during game clinching games so maybe a fresh new lineup could offset those bad memories. But again, 7 players in the lineup never have had a playoff AB so who knows how they'll play.

Personally, I'd like to face the ChiSox. With the Big Hurt gone, that's the one power bat in their lineup that I would fear the most especially playing in that small park US Cell has become. The SP trio scares me but they seem the less toughest and have the least experience then both the BoSox and Yanks. The A's owning the ChiSox this year is also a big plus.

But the A's owned the Yanks in 2000/2001, were the better team in 2002 against the Twins, and in 2003 they were probably even with the BoSox; so who the hell knows what's going to happen.

Again, I don't want to go to the playoffs and see the A's losing another ALDS in 5 games again. To go to the playoffs 5 out of 6 times and see the A's get knocked out in the first round again would sportwise be heartbreaking and the local/national media would rip into the A's AGAIN!

Hopefully this year is different. I think whenever the A's do win a series, that pressure of those 1st round exits will leave and they can play free and easy. Sorta of what happened to Kevin Garnett in the NBA playoffs where he lost 7 straight opening playoff series and finally advanced in 2003 and they went on to the conference finals before losing to the Lakers.

Go A's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 07:25 am:

cross that bridge when it's gotten to. enjoy the ride. Day by day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:12 am:

Get there first & finish what they started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:08 am:

I could NEVER have imagined this. I don't want this bubble to burst! LET'S GO! Can't wait to see them Tuesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:10 am:

I give myself all the credit for the A's incredible turnaround.
I scheduled a trip to Europe for Oct 15-15th right around the time the A's started climbing out of their hole, assuring that I would miss the world series this year.

I basically guaranteed the A's to make the world series this year by being halfway around the world smack in the middle of october.

Thank Me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:41 am:

Okay Kevink, thank you mate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerseygirl on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 10:00 am:

Add us to the mix too. We were back east at the end of May/early June and went to Citizens Bank Park in PHL. (Nice place!). There's a big statue of Connie Mack there, so we touched it for good luck with a "Let's Go Oakland" chant.

We think that helped too.

But I hear you, kevink. I thought we might at least have a season "off" emotionally. I could just sit back, enjoy the young team, and watch the rest of the leagues. Oh well- the gut wrench is on.

But would we have it any other way?

Jersey Girl in San Diego

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 10:46 am:

Holy Toledo!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 12:16 pm:

good article re Angels skid:

http://www2.dailynews.com/sports/ci_2921117

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.