Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Could Someone Post the Insider Article on Johnson

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Could Someone Post the Insider Article on Johnson
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 01:16 pm:

It looks like a good article.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 03:17 pm:

With that, let's investigate some of the no-names in the top 20 of fantasy hitters for the past week.

Dan Johnson, A's: Is he the next Jason Giambi? Well, um, is he that good at the plate? His minor-league stats suggest there is a big-time power hitter lurking. We discuss hitters taking walks all the time, and some of you ask why. Giambi, and now Dan Johnson, are great examples why. When a hitter takes walks, it's indicative that he has good plate discipline, and swings at the right pitches. When a hitter hacks at only what he can handle, and drive, then he hits for power. Alfonso Soriano is one in a million here. Most players who walk, develop power.

While Giambi led the majors in home runs in July with 16, Johnson was earning regular time under the radar as Oakland's first baseman. Now, after a week in which he homered in four consecutive games and continued to walk and hit for average (8 runs, 6 RBI, 5 walks), Johnson is on the Most Added list. Only three hitters in fantasy baseball had a better week: Manny Ramirez, Jason Bay (love the steals, ba-bee) and Gary Matthews, Jr.

Johnson's going to keep hitting. Players who have a great batting eye have slumps, too, but they get out of them faster and still contribute by walking, scoring runs, putting the ball in play. I had Johnson a month ago on a few teams and wasn't patient enough to wait. Not smart. Is he the next Giambi, the MVP version? We can't predict that, since there's a big difference in 25 homers and a nice on-base percentage and 40-120, 1.000 OPS. But Johnson's looking better every day. Good for Oakland for seeing that.

Speaking of Giambi, in this one league, I asked another owner about him about six, seven weeks ago. Giambi had raised his average from the .230 range to .250 a few weeks after declining the invitation to be demoted, but still wasn't hitting for power. Remember, in June the guy hit one home run, only four doubles. Anyway, seeking to get in on the ground floor of something, I tried to trade for Giambi. The other owner, near last place, thought I was kidding. He laughed. I didn't really follow up, and nothing happened. Today, six weeks later, after Giambi homered 16 times in July, and with me still needing power, a player I could have gotten pretty cheap cost me Brett Myers and a lot more. It's all about the timing. That owner knew he could name his price today, and he did

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.