Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Flattering words from Kendall about Oakland

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Flattering words from Kendall about Oakland
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 04:21 am:

"All I know is our fans are nuts, they're crazy," said catcher Jason Kendall, who is in his first season in Oakland. "It's fun to play in front of them. They're kind of like us, they're out there. We relate to them well. They might not be the biggest crowds, but you can't fill up a football stadium. They're loud, and that's how it should be. I think this is a great sports town. "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/08/09/SPGBPE53TD1.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 07:51 am:

That definitely makes me appreciate Kendall all the more. I like Crosby's quote, too!!!

"They always get us pumped up," he said. "If the crowd is loud and obnoxious, even better. A lot of teams don't like our crowds, and that's good for us. I love that other teams find them unnerving."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 07:56 am:

I haven't heard these type of comments since the early 90's.

Coincidentally, we have new ownership this year and the player comments about the fans become positive.

This is great to see as it will make more people want to come out to the park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 09:46 am:

Kendall is right-you can't fill up a football stadium. The guy gets it. If only more players talked like that, in defending and praising fans.
I read Payton also praising both the fans, and the team. He said how there aren't over sized egos here, and that he enjoys being able to play more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:53 am:

It's great when the home players understand what we're trying to get done. Get in the minds of the other team. Every advantage. When the other team notices, we've done our job. They're looking over their shoulder, re-thinking their moves. It's that split second that can get us the W. I remember the Angels game where Swish motored around on a wild throw, were the Angels slow in chasing the ball because of the sniping they were hearing all game long, maybe, maybe not. But we won and that's the bottom line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:02 am:

Wonder that Boston fans would say to Payton's comment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:41 pm:

At last night's game, I happened to sit next to a 20-something guy who, on a whim, drove up from Ventura to see the Angels and A's. He's a Dodger fan, of all things, but a lukewarm Angels fan as well. He had never been to the Coli before and he was very impressed with the crowd and the passion of the fans (even though we didn't have much to cheer about).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.