Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Kendall vs. Melhuse

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Kendall vs. Melhuse
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By msu02 on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:07 am:

Does anyone out there think that Melhuse should be starting over Kendall? Kendall has the worst slugging percentage in the American League and Melhuse has been hot lately. Kendall can't throw anyone out either. I think we could stick Ellis in the leadoff spot and it would make our lineup that more dangerous with Kendall in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:12 am:

I think Kendall brings toughness to our team that has been sorely lacking the last few years.

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:33 am:

toughness worst money spent period 11 million no power or defense.

got get rid of him ASAP.

is an additonal 30 points in BA worth the extra 9 million?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:40 am:

no. no. no. no. Who would you rather have up with bases loaded, two bottom of the ninth, down by one. I think most people would say Kendall, just because you know he's gonna put the bat on the ball.

Who calls better games and who has done a great job of working with the new pitchers, Kendall.

Who choked in game 5 of the 2003 ALDS, Melhuse. Who risked his body for the team against the Rangers in Arlington, getting Fosse to stand up and shout, Kendall.

Even with his nonexistent hitting capabilities thus far in the season, you can't deny he brings more than just stats to the game.

I would like to keep Kendall for a couple more years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By msu02 on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:51 am:

I totally disagree. I'm sure that you've read Moneyball. The reason the A's have been so successful is that they ignore intangibles like "toughness" or "calls a good game." All they care about are the numbers. And Kendall's suck. The play he made against Texas was the best I've ever seen by a catcher, but that doesn't compensate for a .318 slugging percentage. Pathetic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:13 pm:

Moneyball states that obp is worth 3 times the value of slugging. Kendall's obp of .350 is good. His primary value has been the handling of the three first year starting pitchers. Let's hope he does another great job today.

LET'S GO OAKLAND!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:39 pm:

It's a tough call. I get really down on him because he can barely even get a fly ball deep enough in a sac fly situation (last night was a welcome exception) and can't throw anyone out, and he can usually be counted on for a weak infield ground out. But I do appreciate what he has done in working with the pitchers and I know he usually gets his bat on the ball. Overall, though, I come out on the negative side and would not be sorry to see him go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cool_hand on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:49 pm:

I think Beane learned something last year with Miller. In contrast to Hernandez, Miller was a disaster. I think JK has been a stabilizing force of the young staff. Maybe he wouldnt be so valuable if he pitched for a team like the Red Sox, but I think he's helped this young team. You ever wonder why we are so good this year compared to last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By billymac on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 04:08 pm:

Kendall's BB/K ratio makes up for his abysmal OPS in my opinion. Not to the tune of $11mil/year but enough to keep his starting job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 09:01 pm:

Hey look at kendall now, being alert and steal home, can't argue with the big W's. All you Kendall haters drop a couple more balls. I dare ya

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 09:15 pm:

Exactly, drummer. I think Kendall's presence has elevated everyone's game on this team.

Hey, billymac, long time no see!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By emkey on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:02 pm:

When evaluating what Kendall is making keep in mind that the A's dumped two contracts and Players that they really didn't want in aquiring him.

Is he overpaid? Clearly. Has he been valuable to the team? Heck yea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By emkey on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:03 pm:

Forgot to add, I expect the A's to call up a catcher come September 1st which will give them the flexibility to give Melhuse more AB's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 10:37 am:

I really like my Kendall bobblehead and don't want to have to but it in the closet with Tejada,Dye,mulder,hudson and well you get the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 10:47 am:

Were lucky SactoD is not the GM. You just can not measure monetarily the X factor he brings to our pitching staff, plus as others have stated he just brings balls to this team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 10:52 am:

Perfectly put Washfan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By msu02 on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 01:20 pm:

Washfan, I disagree because as I said in one of my earlier posts, Billy Beane does not care one bit about intangibles. That is why they are so successful. He looks at one thing: stats. So to talk about an "X factor" is just spitting in the face of everything the A's organizations believes in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By emkey on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 02:32 pm:

Beane doesn't care about intangibles? Not at all true from what I can tell. He's not interested in a good clubhouse guy who sucks, true. But he's very interested in mental makeup from what I can tell.

The A's are about getting the best value for the dollar and winning. The team is built around those premises. They are also heavily into having the best objective measures of talant they can. Everything falls out from that.

Anyone who doesn't think the people side of things figures into success likely has either been lucky, or hasn't had any success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 02:47 pm:

Hey, I Just listened to the mlbradio interview with David Frost, assistant to beane, and he was talking about how they not only scouted for stats and crap, but also look for guys with the stats who are competiters and winners. A la Huston Street (College World Series), Nick Swisher (PCL Champs), Dan Johnson (PCL MVP), etc.

And he talked about how in the minors they really want their minor league teams to be competitive and win. A la River Cats in 1st, Midland Rockhounds in third behind 1st by a 0.5 game, Stockton Ports in 1st, Vancouver Canadians in 1st,and the A's rookie team is out of first by a 0.5 game.

What this shows is that yeah, not only do they find flaws in the market and exploit it, but they find players who want to win and will win. I feel the A's organization is one of best organizations in setting in a competitive mentality in their players.

That's why when players from the minor leagues make it to the A's team, you get players like an Eric Byrnes or Nick Swisher or Miggy or Huston Street, guys who have that fire and competitive spirit to win.

Can I get an Amen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 10:36 pm:

AMEN!!! MOFO!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 01:53 am:

The X factor totally is part of Moneyball.
The whole way in which Beane reconized that Lenny Dyksta (SPElling whatever) was a "baseball" player and he was not is that x factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 10:41 am:

Back to Kendall, I can't help blaming him for the Friday night loss to the Twins. A single is as good as a double with him behind the plate. So a single, stolen base, and single and that's the ballgame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 12:01 pm:

I blame Santana he pitched pretty good:-)

One run should not win a ball game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 12:16 pm:

True enough. Don't press me or I will blame Chavvy for not driving in the run in the 9th. (In fact, I think both Crosby and Chavvy were trying to kill the ball instead of just putting the bat on it like Kotsay the man did.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mutiny on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 05:28 pm:

man, you guys are tough. i am not complaining about anything. santana was sick last night -- this guy is a great pitcher who has an amazing night! our guys have been playing well, were trying,...and this is baseball. you can't win every single night.

that said, kotsay is the man! i love him!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

sactofan, I posted the same thing on another thread. If Ford were held at 1B, that run doesn't score. But Santana was indeed amazing.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.