Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Why is Blanton good?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Why is Blanton good?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cool_hand on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:54 pm:

Seriously. I live in Boston, so I do not get to see many games live. Ive never seen Joe. I read about and seen Street and Haren, but never Joe. No one ever talks about a wicked curve, nasty slider, a 98 mile per fastball. Is it baseball IQ? Does he have a special pitch? Split finger? Slider? Does he have a lot of good pithces, but no one great pitch? Composure? Location?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 01:21 pm:

95 fast ball, over the top curve ball. Comparable to Jason Schmidt. Well for what it's worth, against Anaheim just now, he allowed a leadoff double, infield single, shallow fly out, strike out, walks Vladdy, Kotchman grounds out....so good IQ, but a lot of that I chalk up to Jason Kendall's handling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 02:22 pm:

He often struggles early in games, but then he usually takes his cap off to wipe his brow about the third inning, and his spikey hair hypmotizes opposing batters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By billymac on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 03:59 pm:

"95 fast ball, over the top curve ball. Comparable to Jason Schmidt."

Actually his fastball tops out at about 90. I'd argue his success is more attributable to his control and breadth of pitches rather than overpowering stuff. His K numbers aren't that good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 04:17 pm:

Yeah, Blanton doesn't have overpowering stuff.

His fastball probably tops at around 92-93, but his control especially after his early struggles this year has been unbelieveable.

He's more like Greg Maddox, stuff/control wise, than a power pitcher.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.